1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry, Aaron Brooks ,which is the right Option in the coming season.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by missymay, Sep 8, 2010.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I concur. Sig bets are super lame.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Lowry obsessed guys will shut up soon enough, Brooks is the starter, he has been since Lowry has been here, and Adelman has no plans to change that. You can b**** as much as you want but the team KNOWS Brooks is the better and more important player.
    that makes no sense, if Brooks is package for Chris Paul, that should not mean you win. If anything, it would mean Brooks is the more valued player.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I dont think Lowry will start as long as AB is around, I am a bit skeptical to the reason behind it. If I got any of the following wrong, please correct me.

1) AB is in the last year of his rookie contract. Expect him to make substantially more next year.

2) AB's value is very high right now.

3) We paid more for Lowry to resign than many thought we should.

4) We signed another point (ISH) recently.

5) Theirs no doubt Morey would like to add another star player to the Rockets.

6) If Lowry WERE to start, AB's value would go down.

I realize im not the first one here to suspect that Morey is maybe setting up AB as trade bait. If so, it would be counter productive to lower his value by starting Lowry ahead of him. But what im really wondering is if the above scenario is one of the reasons AB IS starting.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Why are you drawing any conclusions from the signing of a 3rd string pg who will spend a majority of his time in a suit?

Lowry was paid what top backup PGs are normally paid, it was a completely reasonable contract.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Name all the backup point guards making what Lowry is.

Ish maybe in a suit for now.

And I am not drawing conclusions to any one or even 2 or 3 of the above. But all those facts together seem to coalesce into a discernible picture to me.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you kidding lots of backup PGs signed for nearly what Lowry is getting....this year....Ridnour is one....the going rate was about $4-$5 million, we may have overpaid a bit for Lowry because Cleveland wanted to force Les to have to think about matching.....well Morey already had plans to lower the cap room by jettising Ariza....which meant they could afford Kyle's larger than life contract.

Hey, maybe if he was a corkscrew... ;)

And I already won this argument lots of times.....

DD

#46 DaDakota, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Nate Robinson, Ramon Sessions, Jarrett Jack make about 1 mil a year less

Lou Williams makes about the same

TJ Ford makes 8.5 mil

Kirk Hinrich and Beno Udrih make 9 mil

I consider Lowry superior to all of them. Can you name a better backup PG in the NBA? He is one of the best at that position and is paid as a suck. If you compare his salary to players outside of the PG position, it looks even better considering free agents such as Drew Gooden and Wesley Matthews signed substantially larger contracts despite contributing far less to their teams.

8. MadMax4life

MadMax4life Member

how many times are we going to bring this up?? i think you just wanted to start a thread to do... well congrats... you did it!

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

T.J Ford was signed to that contract as a starter. He only became a backup after the trade for Collison.

Kirk Hinrich was a starter for the Bulls when he signed that contract, and is only a backup because of the drafting of Wall.

Beno Udrih makes 6M, not 9M, and his contract was also signed while he was a starter, and again became the backup after drafting Evans.

So far then, you have yet to illustrate a back up PG that was signed as a backup, who makes more than Lowry.

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

11. DaDakota

This makes zero sense.

Kyle Lowry is one of, if not the best backup PGs in the league and is compensated accordingly.

DD

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Looks like he is making 4M to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=min

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They are all backup PGs, that is what you asked for.

And I think all the guys listed at 1 mil less than Lowry proves the point, he is among the best if not the best backup PG in the league and is paid as such. Comparing him simply to other backup PGs is both inconclusive and idiotic. You should compare his salary to other 6th men around the league and other top tier backup players.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It makes perfect sense if you follow it to its logical conclusion.

Morey seldom overpays players. So yes, Lowry is worth the 6M. But more importantly, I feel Morey is going to move Lowry into the starting spot once he moves AB in a trade. And I think Morey had this in mind all along when he agreed to pay Lowry that much. Im not arguing that he is not worth it. Im arguing that he wont be a backup very long.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No, it isnt what i asked for. I asked what bachup were signed for as much as Lowry, and your response were starters who later became backups. Not the same thing at all.

But look at my response to DD, and you will see that my point isnt that Lowry isnt worth the money he signed for.

16. DaDakota

Ah, so you are one of those who are making stuff up to see your boy start.

Got it.

BTW, Morey overpaid for Ariza, he may overpay for Yao, he clearly has a history of keeping his assets what defines them as overpaid is their performance and the marketplace.

Morey matched what the marketplace paid Kyle, is it overpaying? It could be argued as such, probably because Cleveland thought they could force Houston to not match because of the lux tax situation.

However, Morey had that covered by bringing in Lee.

So, whether or not KL is overpaid, underpaid, or rightly paid, will be decided on the floor.

There is ZERO you can read into Daryl Morey signing Kyle or matching other than he is controlling his assets as he should.

Kyle is a quality NBA player, you don't let them walk for nothing....

Either way, you guys wanting Lowry to start are relentlessly wrong !

Kyle Lowry is a valued career backup PG.

DD

#56 DaDakota, Sep 8, 2010
  17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#57 Mr. Clutch, Sep 8, 2010
  18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Then go look up and see how much starting PGs are paid and compare it to Lowry. Kyle is not making starting PG salary, he is making high end backup PG salary.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No, you dont "Got it"

Everything I said was my opinion. I never said I KNEW Morey was going to do anything. So what am I making up exactly? While your argument makes sense, I believe mine does as well. If Morey is unable to move AB for a top tier player in some sort of trade, Lowry is good enough as a backup to justify his salary AS a backup. But almost all trade speculation has AB mentioned in it. Is it such a leap of speculation that AB WILL get moved in a deal? I dont think so. And to say one can read ZERO into what Morey does is shortsighted. Morey has proven over time that he sets him self up (most of the time) ahead of time before he plunges into new deals. That means that whatever his intentions for the future, the pawns being moved now. if you dont think he locked up Lowry partially on the basis that he felt he may need to move AB later, then your entitled to disagree with me.

btw...Ariza being overpayed is only a conclusion one could make in hindsight. At the time of the signing, many felt he was well worth the MLE, and some thought he was worth more than that.

1 person likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree that Lowry's 6M would be a bargain for a starter.