1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry, Aaron Brooks ,which is the right Option in the coming season.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by missymay, Sep 8, 2010.

1. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

How does one obtain the ability to start threads after 14 posts? Aaron Brooks is unquestionably the starter and will likely lead the team in minutes played. I do love me some AB/Lowry playing at the same time for stints, however.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

What people don't realize is that spacing comes from having more than one shooter in your lineup around your big(s). Brooks and Martin together being on the floor are going to be essential to making it easier for Yao to come back. The speed/shooting ability that those guys have as a tandem won't allow their man to help on Yao because they are either going to be getting an open shot immediately off the pass, or they will quickly move into space.

Shane Battier is better than Trevor Ariza for these players. Shane Battier is a better team defender, he can do more to impact how effective the starters are as a unit.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Honestly, I think Lowry would be the better true pure PG HOWEVER on this team with Yao in the middle and the spacing he creates...Brooks is the guy. Imagine double teaming Yao and having to leave 1 of 3 dead-eye three point shooters or the Argentine Dream who is becoming/is automatic from 18 and in.

Lowry running the 2nd unit is NAILS, a fastbreak of Lowry, Lee, Budinger and Hill or PP will be deadly for other 2nd units around the league.

5. choujie

choujie Member

Rockets will have enough shooters to open up the floor for Yao even without AB. Martin, Battier, Budding, Lee and Scola's deadly mid range game. What they need more is DEFENSE. Yao is too slow to catch up with any PG,AB/Martin are too weak to fight through any screen, that will be a disaster to defend pick n' rolls.

6. AggieRocketsFan

Should we bench the Most Improved Player last year?

Funny question

7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

What I wanna know is, how is this guy able to make threads???? :mad:

8. choujie

choujie Member

Not necessarily but also not funny. Spurs benched Manu, 6th man of the year , an All-star player, who was much better than AB at this moment.

I thinkg AB/Lee pair or Martin/Lowry pair should be better for the team than a AB/MArtin pair, which is kinda redundent on offense but extreamly poor on defense.

AB/Lee pair or Martin/Lowry pair will gain more defense than losing offense for the team as a whole.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Couldn't have said it better. ;)

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This will all be settled by whomever Rick Adelman starts, and more importantly plays the most minutes.

I am taking bets if the Lowry lunatics want to lose some $$$$.

DD

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Would you be willing to bet on whether or not Brooks will be starting for the Rockets when the playoffs start assuming no main rotational players are injured?

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It is not so much as we need AB0 with Yao in the lineup due to his outside shot, but rather AB0 fits better than Lowry due to Lowry's lack of range. Lowry simply does not have the ability to draw out interior defenders to the mid range once he penetrates because not many people respect his jumper and are therefore even more reluctant to leave Yao, a proven scorer. Lowry's offensive game involves barreling through contact on his journey to the rim. He cannot do that easily with Yao clogging up the middle. Until Lowry develops at least a much more consistent jumpshot from the midrange and out, I see this as a consistent issue with Yao and Lowry and it also gives AB0 an edge as if anyone leaves him open, he most definitely will can that open shot. I won't lie that I like Lowry more than AB, but until Lowry proves otherwise this season, my money is on AB starting with Yao until and if DM decides to move him.

13. albuster

albuster Member

Spacing is, indeed, necessary with Yao in the line up. The question though is what is the use of spacing if the pg cannot and does not look to pass to Yao at the post? Yao certainly does not need spacing if the post passer does not know how to do it.

In many instances last season, the Rockets' fastbreak almost always ended up with Brooks attempting the shot at the end instead of his other team mates who run with him. Scola is one of the more relentless runners on the break but you will seldom see him get the right and on time pass for the shot. The pg, Brooks, just does not know how to run the fast break. Maybe he has worked on it during the summer, but passing and court vision at this level and at Brooks' age are seldom learned, they should already be instinctive wired in his system.

My point is not to necessarily to replace Brooks with Lowry as the starting pg. I would rather have a better, and if possible, elite pg to replace Brooks in the starting pg position. Thus my argument is not Brooks vs. Lowry, rather, for DM to find, however and wherever, an elite starting pg. Billups would do in my opinion.

14. choujie

choujie Member

AB will start at the beginning of the season, that's a given. The opener is against Lakers, and AB gives them fits.

You are worrying too much about Lowry's shooting alongside Yao. Rockets had a real good offense under JVG with Sura running the show, who wasn't a good 3 point shooter either. But Rockets had a bunch players who could shoot on that team: Padgget, Jon Barry, Mike James etc. And that team perfomed better with Sura as PG than Mike James as PG.

And a team with Hayes/Alston in the lineup used to be the best starting 5 in NBA until injury happend.

Now it's kinda same. We have guys like Martin/Lee/Battier/Budinger who can shoot from outside, we also have Scolar who can shoot from midrange. Don't underestimate Lowry's midrange shooting, he used to be good, just had an off year last season. Offense will not be a problem no matter it's AB or Lowry running the show. Throwing the fact that Rockets offense was better under Lowry last season, I don't think offense is anything to be worried about no matter who's starting.

The real problem is defense. That's where Lowry will help the team more than AB.
    The gain on defense will be more than the loss on offense(if at all), and that will make Rockets a better team.

15. acjeitherocket

lmfao at the pix in here

16. DaDakota

Sure, wanna do a sig bet? No injuries, no major trades, and if Brooks and Lowry are on the team, Brooks is still the starter.

1 month sig ownership?

DD

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Major trades need to be considered if Brooks is traded away. The bet is centered around your perception of Brooks' importance. If he's traded away, then you automatically lose.

A sig bet? That's kind of weak, isn't it? We're both grown, working men, and in your last post, you referenced $$$$. How about a tipjar bet?

If you insist on a money-less bet, how about the loser doesn't post for 2 weeks?

18. shutkip

shutkip Member

Maybe they're trying to make him win the Sixth Man Award this year? :p

19. DaDakota

No way, that is a stupid bet, Lowry or Brooks could be traded.

This is a bet about whom is the better player and whom the organization will start and play more minutes.

If one is traded the bet is nullified......

DD

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Kyle Lowry should start for the Rockets at the point guard position.