1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kwame Brown: "I taught Bynum everything he knows"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pugsly8422, Jan 8, 2012.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

What a head case. I do love how the author continually bashes him, saying he's a bust and that he basically stole the money he's made.

NBA Draft Bust Kwame Brown Takes Credit For Lakers Center Andrew Bynum's Success

When the term "Draft Lottery Bust" is used, Kwame Brown's name often pops into basketball fans' heads. But maybe his true calling is in coaching.

Brown, who parlayed being the No. 1 overall pick by the Washington Wizards into a lucrative but uninspiring career, is taking credit for helping one of the most improved players in the NBA this season.

While Brown struggles along with his sixth franchise, Andrew Bynum has quietly grown into the player Lakers fans hoped he would be many years ago. The 24-year-old center is averaging 19.6 points and 15.8 rebounds as the second option to Kobe Bryant on most nights this season.

Is Bynum's success because of the two-plus seasons he spent with former Lakers teammate Brown? The Warriors backup, while admitting Andrew has "grown into his body," dropped the early favorite for 2012's outrageous quote by an NBA player to the Los Angeles Times' Mike Bresnahan:

"That was my young fella," Brown bragged of Bynum. "I taught him everything he knows... I'm one of the better defenders in the league and we played against each other every day in practice. I told him if you can score against me, you can score on anyone."

That's a joke, right? Apparently not.

When asked if this could possibly be true, Bynum admitted being buddies with Brown, but claimed they mostly would "talk about cars" and go bowling.

It's not the first time Brown's self-image has towered over reality. Former Wizards president Michael Jordan took Brown with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft out of Glynn Academy in Brunswick, Ga. Brown, the first high school player picked at the top of the NBA Draft, boldly told then-coach Doug Collins these fateful words: "If you draft me, you'll never regret it."

Despite career averages of 6.8 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Wizards, Lakers, Grizzlies, Pistons, Bobcats and Warriors, Brown has managed to earn (steal) more than $50 million using a basketball as his weapon of choice.

Now he's stealing credit, too.

NBA Draft Bust Kwame Brown Takes Credit For Lakers Center Andrew Bynum's Success

Pugs

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Kwame also taught Kobe everything he knows

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kwame Brown is a good defender, though, so he's not exactly lying. He gets a bad rap, but he's not that different from Chuck Hayes. Chuck is more handsome but that's about it.

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Kwame taught be the word "scrub" with his game play.

7. Apps

Apps Member

So that's why it took Bynum so long to actually get good--he had to forget everything Kwame taught him first.

1 person likes this.
  8. LFE171

LFE171 Member

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chuck is an infinitely better basketball player, too.

10. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

LMAO!!!!!!

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Chuck can catch a pass.

12. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Fire Mchale, Hire kwame! He can make Thabeet into the 2nd hakeem!

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Yeezy taught me

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Kwame can pass, and he isnt undersized

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I believe him

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

a GOAT passing on the knowledge to a future HOF.

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

It makes sense... It's equally important to be shown "what not to do" (Kwame) as it is "what to do"(Kareem Abdul Jabbar)...... Bynum was taught by two of the best ..... Thats why it's essential we keep Thabeet on the roster once Drummond comes.... Dream and Thabeet together teaching Drummond would be "legendary"....:cool:

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Really? "If you can score on me you can score on anyone?" "If you draft me, you will never regret it".

Guys like Jabbar, Rambis taught him everything. Kobe must be craking up.

19. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

lol, imagine what kwame would do for Thabeet and Hill. I doubt Dalembert is too old to learn new tricks from Kwame

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kwame is a model for handicapped Americans everywhere. Successful NBA player despite being born without the use of his hands.