1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak's replacement

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SooneRockStro, Nov 18, 2013.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I'm shocked the announcement has not been made yet.

One things the Texans can offer that most teams can't is job security.

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

I don't think think Bill Cowher would take the job if they offered him the HC spot. I remembered he would always talk so highly about the texans.

A couple of years ago, yes he would take it but not now. This team is aging. We don't know if Cushing and Foster will ever come back 100%.

3. Nero

Nero Member

Art Briles.

Money talks, and it IS Waco Art..

Think about it Art... Money.. Houston.. Money..

No more Waco Wasteland..

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

just signed a 10 year extension....

5. Nero

Nero Member

Doesn't matter. Money talks, ten year extensions walk.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

My choice, Ken Whisenhunt!!!

1. Steeler pedigree and won a SB as a OC in Pittsburgh. Dude called a WR pass for a TD in the SB!!!!

2. Won 2 division titles with the Cardinals who are perennial losers. Took CARDINALS TO THE SB!!!! Terrible ownership over there, he would love McNair.

3. Never found a QB after Warner retired and that doomed him. Looks like Keenum is decent or we have a high enough draft pick to find a QB for him.

4. Seems to have "fixed" Rivers in SD, they are top 4 passing teams.

I think he would be a great fit.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Very much like Kubiak... Except he had a HOF QB lead one of his teams to a Super Bowl (and even then, whisenhunt was initially reluctant to go with Warner over Leinart).

Him being fired from Arizona was no fluke. Also, the new HC for San Diego (ex Broncos OC) has more to do with Rivers turnaround.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

So Whisenhunt gets NO credit for his success, all credit goes to others. But he gets ALL credit for his failures. Got it.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I didn't say he gets no credit.

He gets as much credit as Kubiak deserves for being the OC in Denver for 2 super bowl winning teams... or turning an undrafted FA in Arian Foster into a pro-bowl RB... or getting this team to the playoffs with a 3rd string rookie QB... or having a back-to-back division winning team that featured a lethal mix of running game/passing game.

Again... if this team is fine with another version of the same, so be it. I don't see anything that Whisenhunt does that Kubiak was incapable of... again, two good coordinators, not sure about head coach.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Warner was very mediocre in his year with the Giants and in his first 3 years with Arizona. It was only in Whisenhunt's first year that he toyed with having Leinart start over Warner, and rightfully so. Warner looked to be old and on his way out and Leinart was a promising QB coming out of college. It's easy to look back now that Leinart is out of the league having been a bust, but at the time there were a lot of people calling for him to start.

Warner started 16 games in '08 and they went to the Super Bowl. Whisenhunt deserves credit for that.

He also likely deserves some of the blame for the Kolb fiasco.

But it's clear that if you surround him with talent (by having a good GM and talent evaluators, which we also need), he can get a team to the Super Bowl. That's all you can ask for in a coach. I have always had my doubts about this with Kubiak because he is stubborn and not a very good decision maker. You can't expect to find a Belichick or Parcells that can single-handedly transform an organization and breed winning, so all I want is a guy that won't impede us on getting there.

The more important decisions will be those made in scouting and with the GM.

11. DreamRoxCoogFan

Tony Dungy. Love that guy

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He's one guy I don't think would ever come back from retirement.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I believe it was during the Kurt Warner "football life" documentary that Whisenhunt himself gives all of the credit to Warner, who decided to re-dedicate himself to conditioning and work out some of the mental/confidence issues that had plagued him at the end of the St. Louis tenure and his NYG stint.

Sure, Whisenhunt should get some credit... but Kurt Warner is a HOF caliber QB that had the natural proven ability to reinvent his career not once but twice, under two different coaches/franchises.

The hardest part of this re-build will be getting a GM or coach that can not only cultivate talent, but quickly identify who has it and who doesn't. This team has wasted enough years on semi-talented players who really weren't all that great... or given up on players who eventually found success elsewhere.

14. TheDreamShake83

I love the idea but history does not show an offensive football coach being too successful in the NFL.

15. TheDreamShake83

Please not a coach from the NCAA!!

Whoever it is, I hope it is not someone from the NCAA. Coaches coming from college typically do not do well and we are not in the situation where we want to start rebuilding again. I feel that the Texans can easily right the ship with a good draft so we want a coach that has seen success in the NFL.

I am not sure who all is out there but I know that Cower has always talked about coming back to coach and I know that Del Rio will probably get some offers. I hope that they do not offer it to Wade, we have seen that play out before. I feel that we really need an aggressive coach that is offensively minded so that makes me lean to Whisenhunt or Turner (not that I want him).