1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak Press Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Oct 10, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not that it really matters. Most have probably listened to it already. Anyhow...

Mario got to have a pec repair. That will probably take place in the next week. He's done for the season. James Casey is day to day as we move forward. He has a pec strain. McCain should be fine. Our QB got a sore shoulder and thigh bruise. He is day to day as we start the week off.

Briesel ok?

He got an ankle and knee. Got rolled up in a pile. Everything seems more positive today so we'll see where we're at come Wednesday.

Noticing anything with Matt that would cause him to short arm throws or anything like that?

No. Like I said yesterday, anytime you get beat, everybody could do something better. Matt made a heck of a lot of plays yesterday. A lot of good plays. Some he would like to have back. They were aggressive in what they were doing defensively. You'll have ugly plays when being played that way. Key is, do you make big plays to burn the blitzes. We did have a lot of big plays. 9 plays over 20 yards but not enough big ones to win the game. But no, I dont see that. Not just with Matt, I see room for improvement with everybody. I dont see some flaw or something if thats what you're asking.

Andre out this week?

I dont know. As of right now, soreness went away and rehab has picked up so we'll see where he's at each day.

Thoughts on losing Mario and Reed coming in.

I feel bad for Mario. Heck of a player. What we're doing, it will blossom his career from now on. He was improving every day, every practice, every game. Never seen Mario so upbeat on what was going on and to lose him on a freak play. I'm disappointed for Mario. It's tough on the team. Brooks did come in. We played good D all day yesterday. Brooks apart of that. Good opportunity for him to step up and be a starter and thats why we drafted him.

Vickers took the blame after the game yesterday. He didnt make it happen.

Like I always say, we win and lose as a team. He had a chance to make a big play, didnt happen. He'll get a great chance to come back this week if James is unable to go. He'll get his opportunities to help this football team. He played hard. But like I said, we can all do things a little better.

How do you feel about going with him?

He has started in this league. That's why we brought him in. He'll get a lot of work now. He is different from James but I feel confident in him.

Talk about Bryan Brayman

He moves up the depth chart. He can rush the passer. He'll get some D reps which he hasnt been getting. Been playing ST. Another young player getting thrown in the fire so to speak. Expect him to grow up and do some good things real quick.

Moving Nading up from the PS?

We've thought of it but we got a lot of things to look at right now. Got some challenges from a management standpoint as we sit here and have to juggle some things going forward with these injuries. Another challenge as we go into the week. Anyone on the PS is a possibility.

In the 4th Q, Schaub was sacked, facemask on Brisiel and 12 men on the field, what was the explanation to you?

Im wating on it too. I'll let you know.

How much do you weigh what a player tells you on the field as opposed to what they're telling you as far as a challenge goes?

I try to listen to em. I'm listening to them but they gave us plenty of time to look at it. We felt upstairs we never saw the ball hit the ground but with the 2 views on the scoreboard, hard to say will they overturn it or not.

How much more does Jacoby have to step up?

He gotta step up big. He played a lot of plays yesterday. Played 70+ plays. Him and Kevin. We got pressured a lot so a lotta things we were doing was to protect and let him and Kevin go 1 on 1 with their secondary. He's part of the group and group wasnt good enough as a whole but he'll have to step up and make some big plays for us to continue forward. With the ball movement yesterday, there should have been more points on the board, there wasnt.

How did Raiders win the point of attack at the LOS?

Give them credit. They're very good. Their 2 guys on the inside are very good players. They played well. We didnt play as well as we been playing up front. A little of everything. Seemed as a group, we pitched in on making our mistakes or didnt take advantage of the opportunity. Its everyone involved, not just the O-line. It's everyone involved.

Ravens coming off a bye. You're coming off tough loss. Not to mention, they're one of the best in the NFL.

They're exceptional. They're 2nd or 3rd in the league(D) and getting a ton of turnovers. We understand who we're facing. Played 2 tough games back to back here with PIT/OAK. Gotta get my guys fresh and ready to go.

After all these years in the league, how come other than the slant pattern, Jacoby cant run a pattern without rounding it off and running a crisp route and how does he fall asleep in the back of the endzone and not dart and go right back to the corner of the endzone where Matt could have an easy pass to him?

He did run some good routes Barry. We're all involved in getting better. I expect him to get better. Its not just him. Last play- you gotta move and make a play and Matt tried to do that. We had what we wanted, got flushed left, so once flushed, trying to live and make a play. Give them credit, they made the play, they didnt.

It was very easy.

I dont think it was Barry. I think this game is hard. You go out and play hard. Sometimes you make the play, sometimes you dont. Not an excuse. The Raiders made a play, we didnt. It isnt Jacoby's fault.

Why was Allen taking a deep cushion there in 2nd Q?

Right before the half?

Yeah and where he also missed the tackle.

He did give up out few out routes right before the half which was smart to do. We were trying to get the half over and keep them from scoring. You will have softness from that standpoint. We did miss a tackle.

You talked about running under 3 ypc and Schaub less than 50%. What was the problem there? And possibility of Schaub running in on last play? He said no shot because of the safety Branch.

You're right. We didnt run the ball well. Why? Combo of things. Throwing, we're under 50%. We got a lot of pressure yesterday and as I said, when you face what we faced yesterday, it's ok sometimes to throw 50%-55% as long as you're making big plays against the blitz and pressure. We had some big plays throwing the ball. Some big plays but not enough. I look back, we had 14-6 lead, ran what we call a slammer screen to Kevin, caught the blitz, had a chance to go to the house,.guy makes a shoestring tackle. Thats the type of game we were in. We needed to make a couple of those plays and we didnt. Last play, we're working the right side of the field, got a play going on over there, which is exactly what we wanted, the rush flushed him left, and when he went left, the first thing I think Matt thought of is I am going to try and score here. He started downhill and here comes a safety. He gotta make a decision. Do I think he could score? Probably not. He gotta make that decision though. Hes the QB. When he knew he couldnt, he had to do something with the ball-the game is over.

Talk about what Walter and Dreessen did.

Kevin played well. 70+ football plays. PLayed very well. Joel played well. OD/Arian made big plays. We had a lot of big offensive plays and ball movement but needed more points-7/10 more points.. When you get beat, you do good stuff but as a group, not good enough.

Does Barwin move to Mario's spot and his role going forward?

Barwin playing a big role all the time. He's playing well. Thats an option we have. We'll make that decision moving forward. Kinda like offensively, gotta replace Andre with a group, we gotta replace Mario with a group of good linebackers, not just one guy.

Is Jacoby suppose to catch a punt going backwards at the 5 yard line?

If its that guy punting, its ok. This guy hit some 60 yard punts and stuff so.. If he hits a bomb like that, coverage is not there, I dont mind him trying to make a play. I want him to stay aggressive. If they're punting from the 50, which that team doesnt do because that kicker is pretty darn good, then its a different story. All depends on the situation.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcas...=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

how many times did he say "battled" or "fought"? I'm surprised that there isn't any mention of it in the transcript.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha. Wait for that when/if they go in the usual 3 game funk mid-season. Then you'll hear it all. "Gotta keep pushin' through." "Good kids" "Going with who we got" **Podium thump** "Bustin' their tails off" "Keep fightin'" "They're battlin'" "We're gonna keep battlin'" **Podium thump** "Good kids(again)"

From this PC, I took away: Whole team can play better,not just one guy to blame. Win & lose as a team blah blah blah :p

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This presser is a clear example of why his players love the guy. He rather look silly than put any serious blame on his players.

5. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

God I feel like wringing his neck every time I hear his voice.

He just pisses me off the extreme. Can't believe this guy gets so much leeway.

Also for the love of God, please hold him reliable and ask the tough questions. No wonder Houston media is so soft. No way Kubiak survives in NY or any other market.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

And I think that's the way it probably should be handled. The fans may not like it, but when coaches publicly start singling out people to blame, then everyone starts playing the blame game.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I like the guy. He's not the problem with this team, if there is a problem.

8. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I like the guy too, but he's overstaying his welcome. Like I said in the beginning of the season, not just get to the playoffs, but win the first playoff game. Otherwise he should get the boot.

9. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

By the way he Kubiak sounded, it looks like Mario's career as a Texan is likely over. :(

Was? :rolleyes:

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think he's using the context in that he'll no longer be out there playing, practicing, etc. Not necessarily his time is done here. I don't think he's gone.

Probably better for a different thread, but as for Kubiak, I dislike the guy. Don't really care for him. His time has come and gone here(unfortunately still here). With the lockout and him coming back, I was meh coming into this season. Wasn't real excited. I was pulled back in though. Not that it's my decision but he'd have to do something "drastic" to stay around another year(winning a playoff game?). I dont care about injuries and who's in/out. You want to use the injury excuse, fine, sign the guy up for a lifetime contract. Either he gets the job done(use your own terms for "job"/success) or he gotta go. A 7th year is not guaranteed and does NOT deserve an extension for simply making the playoffs(or even winning one playoff game) 1 time in 6 years.

11. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

If we don't make the playoffs and WIN at least one game, I say fire his ass.

We addressed 2 key positions of need by getting a stud CB in Joseph and an above average S in Danieal Manning.

Also found a diamond in the rough in JJ Watt and finally addressed the depth at LB and got Brooks Reed.

I know injuries to AJ and Mario have hindered us, but all teams go through injuries, it's just a part of the game.

You mean to tell me Kubiak can't get this squad to the playoffs and win a game?

No excuses this year, time for Uncle Bob to nut up and can Kubiak's ass.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hasnt yet. Still to be determined if he can. I have my doubts.;) Maybe I'll be proved wrong this year?

That sounds SO familiar of the past 2-3 years. No excuses, no excuses, no excuses. Well, we didnt have a kicker, well we didnt have a running game, well our D sucked, well so and so was hurt, well this, well that. It's one thing after another, excuses never stop.

Stars(no pun intended:p) are aligning for another injury excuse. Mario done, Andre out, Foster was out. (Who's next?)

#12 J.R., Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This is true but calling out a player once in a while might spark something within the guy...sink or swim son, your call.

Mario will be a Texan if he wants it, that is a big question though. If he leaves, his money will go to Foster. If Brooks doesn't workout, LB maybe the priority in the draft.

14. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

[​IMG]

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Like JVG except for he actually takes the blame . . .
    JVG would say: "Its totally my fault. I really should have Schuab run more sprints so he can be more mobile. I really need to make sure Jacoby can get loose in the secondary. Its all on me. . . "

Rocket River

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, it would be so much better if Kubiak pounded on the table, dropped F-bombs and started calling out players by name during his press conferences. That's what all the great coaches do. Had he been doing that all along, we probably would have won a Superbowl by now.

Agree on this. Now that the loss against the raiders has mathematically eliminated us from the playoffs, it's time to fire his ass.

17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

he should have been canned long ago. if you think he is capable of leading an nfl team to a championship, you are delusional. it's awesome to be a diehard fan and root for your team through thick and thin, but sheesh. franchises that win championships do not tolerate mediocrity and kubes does not have what it takes.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Uhhh. Giving everyone a free pass does not make your team better. Lead by fear, not by compassion. Compassion just breeds a bunch of softies.. irresponsible softies.

"It's alright guys. As long as we tried our best."
    Uhhh no. **** you Kubiak.

Whoever initiated that "everybody wins" mentality is a complete ****ing moron.

1 person likes this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Dude, if you read my posts last year you know I'm not a fan of the guy at ALL. I wanted him gone more than anyone here after that abortion of a season last year.

I'm still not a fan, but I'd rather let the season play out and then decide what to do instead of firing him after a regular season loss in Week 5. We're not exactly 0-5......

Yeah, Kubiak never yells at his players or shows any emotion at all. How do we know that? Well, because he doesn't do it during his press conferences!

All the great coaches (like Dennis Green and Jim Mora) yell and scream at their press conferences.

I'm sure that's what he was saying here:

[​IMG]

I can't believe people are taking this loss so hard. Were fans really expecting us to go 15-1 this year?

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its not that we lost. Its that we lost to the ****ing Raiders.
    The loss to the Saints was understandable. Raiders? Hell no.