1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak Needs to Get it Together

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Rodgers hit 10 different receivers yesterday. That has got to be tough on a defense.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me ask you this. Do you think the game plan that was called yesterday can beat the Patriots?

I agree Schaub made a bad pass, frankly that happens to even the best QB's, but as been brought up by MasterBaiter there were other plays where clearly Kubiak backed off. Now consider this was an offense that has been able to put up a lot of points so it is possible for them to do so. If we take your reasoning though that Schaub is so interception prone that Kubiak shouldn't call a more aggressive game plan then we might as well agree with Dan O'Shaugnessy that the Patriots are pretty much getting a by this week.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The gameplan is the same every week; if the Texans get behind, then they're screwed. You think that's Kubiak's fault? The offense has put up a lot of points when the defense gets them good field position and/or when they're able to control the clock. If neither of those things happen then there will be a problem. If you have to rely on Schaub to win you the game then it's a dicey situation. Don't blame Kubiak for being aware of that reality. If it weren't for Kubiak's running game then Schaub may not have a job in the NFL.

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree 100%. The only way the Texans can win is if they make fewer errors than the other team, and dominate with defense. Texans will probably lose against the Patriots regardless of what the offensive game plan is. If Kubiak had a more skilled QB and more talent to throw to down field then he would have more options.

Kubiak really can't win with the fans no matter what he does. If Kubiak chooses to pass more, then people will say why are you throwing so much when we have a dominate runner like Foster in the backfield. If we run the ball then he gets accused of being too conservative.

Kubiak gets criticized when the Texans win and when the Texans lose. Of course that's pretty much the case with every coach in every city. The fans always think they know more than the coach.

1 person likes this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I believe we will see a gameplan similar to that of the Broncos game. That had to be one of Schuabs best games this season. Unfortunately Kubes went conservative in the second half and it became a nail biter. Kubes is gonna have to keep his foot on the pedal to put the Pats away.
    Texans 34 patriots 28
    Book it!

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

But that's the entire point...the fact that we dominated the game and were literally one errant throw away from losing. We should never, ever be in that situation given how our defense and offense played throughout the first 56 minutes. Our offensive play calling is conservative...and in the end, it puts us in that kind of a situation. I mean, how many times were we in the red zone and we failed to even ATTEMPT anything in the end zone? We are currently running a pussified offense and unless that changes, we have no shot in NE.

7. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Man coaching must be easy because everyone here seems to be an expert.

You play to the strength of your team, so what we are not a deep ball team. I'll take a good running game over the deep ball any day. Baltimore seems to be so fascinated with Joe Flacco's emergence that they forget sometimes to give Ray Rice the ball.

It the little things like field position, and ball control that will win this game. Hey diddle diddle Arian Foster running up the gut 40 times.

8. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So basically you are a Kubiak apologist who blames everything on Schaub. Got it.

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed! This was Schaub and Kubiak's best game of the season in my opinion. They went for the jugular early and often. They let up a little in the second half but other than that it was a near perfect game. Schaub showed me a ton that game standing in there and taking some hits. I have never seen him so composed with defenders right in his grill. If he can get back to that type of presence and composure we are still capable.

I think he had a huge sense of relief after he made that final throw to Graham to basically seal the win. He also showed me a lot on that play and it shows that he is capable of making big plays when needed.

The other thing about that game was the 2 long balls that he threw were pretty much right on the money about 50 yards downfield. I fear the reason the deep ball looked so good was because of the mile high air in Denver but at least it shows he is capable of those type of performances and going toe to toe with the best.

Here's to hoping Schaub finds that magic again on Sunday and Kubiak lets it all hang out like he did in that game. I know the past couple of weeks are reasons for concern but we all seem to forget what Schaub is capable of.

It seemed the team came out nervous since there was so much pressure to win at home after the past couple of weeks. Kubiak was definitely feeling the heat too. They really need to get back to relaxing and just playing football and not worry about the pressure or the past. I give them a very small chance to win this game but at least I give them a chance.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kubiak V Belichek

Senario:
    2:11 on the clock
    Defense was playing like it did yesterday
    Score is 19-13
    You have the ball on their 41
    4th and 1
    They have no more time outs.

Do you punt and rely on your defense
    or
    Do you go for it . . .if you get the 1st you can run out the clock without them ever seeing the ball again. If you don' t their are at their 41 with 2 minutes left to go.

Kubiak punts
    BeliCheat goes for it

One is playing not to lose
    the other
    is playing to win

They both show confidence in your defense . . only one shows confidence in your offense.
    When you are an offensive guru . . .that ain't good.

Rocket River

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Belicheat's offense is the equivalent of Kubiant's defense.

They're both playing their best unit to win the game.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I wanna see us utilize the TE and Fullback (basically Casey is another TE) a lot more than we have. We've gotten away from that and have almost strictly relied on Dre going deep and Foster running it inside.

We have been most effective when getting more than 2 people involved in the passing game and that's what we need to get back to, especially against an NE defense that's going to try and stop the run then blitz the hell out of us on long distance downs.

I believe we have a chance but like everyone else states if we play scary against this team, plan on getting creamed once again.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hey Schaub you genius,

I'm no D coordinator but if I was, I would always try to take away the TD and instead hold you to a FG. Why would I "give" you the TD as an option? :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wondered what had happened to that 8~15 yrd TE passes

Rocket River

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

lol, exactly...Wade should just decide not to give the Patriots the option of scoring a TD. That way, Brady will have to settle for the FGs.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

judoka i dont know how much texans football you watch in the land of lakes but one thing you need to understand. Your home town qb didnt make a bad decision he just cant make that throw. Your playbook is limited by your qb's physical limitations.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can say "he will do this" all you want but that doesn't make it true. With the ball on their 41, I actually think there could be a chance that he would go for it.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

You know one thing i really appreciated by Matt last game..was finding Arian Foster from the backfield...Seemed like Matt checked it down to Arian and let him do his thing in space...

My favorite play was the KMartin reverse run...if you dont have a mobile QB...might as well have reverses as an option...They really should utilize this play a bit more... I like my chances with a speedy receiver

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree . .. the reverse was spot on!

Rocket River