1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak becomes Kolb fan.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ryan17wagner, Feb 26, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

INDIANAPOLIS - The beauty of Kevin Kolb's workout Sunday was in the eye of the beholder.

Kolb, who is trying to break out of a logjam and emerge as the third quarterback in the NFL draft behind JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, didn't throw as well as some scouts would have liked, but he was pleased with his experience at the NFL combine.

"I think I did pretty well," Kolb said after his workout at the RCA Dome. "I got good feedback from coaches and scouts.

"I felt very confident going in. I did what I wanted to do, which was to be consistent with my throws. The one thing I didn't do today that I wanted to do was to throw a good deep ball.

"Overall, I was happy with what I accomplished here, including my tests and interviews. I just feel good about the entire experience."

Kolb worked out with the first group of quarterbacks. He wasn't as fast as some scouts thought he would be, considering how mobile he was at the University of Houston.

His best time in the 40-yard dash was 4.78 seconds. His velocity was 55.3 mph, which placed him sixth among quarterbacks.

Mixed reviews
    Several scouts and coaches surveyed asked not to be identified. One described Kolb's workout as "mediocre." Another called it "average." Another said "above average."

An AFC head coach who watched Kolb said, "I didn't realize that kid was this good."

Unlike Russell and Quinn, Kolb didn't shy away from throwing in front of every coach, general manager and scout in the NFL.

"This is just another step in the evaluation process," said Tennessee's C.O. Brocato, who's in his 34th year of scouting players. "We take into consideration that a quarterback's working with receivers for the first time. And whether you believe it or not, it tells us something when the kid's not afraid to put it on the line here.

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I like Kevin Kolb, and I still think he's going in the second round."

No matter what they do with David Carr, the Texans are expected to draft a quarterback, probably in the second or third round.

"Kolb didn't do anything to hurt himself," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "He can make every throw. I've been real impressed with the kid."

Before the combine, Kolb prepared with Jerry Rhome, who spent 33 years in the NFL as a quarterback, quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. Part of Kolb's preparation with Rhome was learning the best way to explain to coaches exactly what he did in the Cougars' system. He aced that test with every team.

"I was very impressed in our interview with him," Texans general manager Rick Smith said. "He's very intelligent. He did a great job of explaining his scheme as it relates to a traditional pro scheme."

Kubiak has become a Kolb fan. The interview only reinforced Kubiak's evaluation.

"Our interview with Kolb was one of the best I've ever had," Kubiak said. "He's just such an impressive person. I really like him."

On Saturday, Kolb met with the Texans, Lions, Browns, Redskins, Saints, Eagles and Bills.

Comfortable with Texans
    "I was happy with all my interviews," Kolb said. "But I thought I had an incredible interview with the Texans. We just seemed to click. I felt so comfortable with them. I think they were pleased, too.

"They asked me if I thought I could be the hometown guy? They asked me if I thought I could play if something happened to Carr? I told them yes and yes."

Kolb returned to Houston to continue his preparation for the draft. The next big event for him is March 23, the Cougars' pro day. Kolb will throw for the scouts on familiar turf with his receivers at UH.

john.mcclain@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4581104.html

2. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Interesting...very interesting.

3. updawg

updawg Member

by happened, I hope they mean trade

4. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

It seems pretty obvious that the Texans are looking hard at taking Kolb in the second round. Kevin seems fit for Kubiaggy's system (he really reminds me of Carr) and unlike David Carr Kub's can have him form day 1.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Very cool...I think he'll go 2nd round, hopefully to us...

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hillboy (or anyone else who thinks the Texans are going to stick with Carr), after reading this article, you still think Carr's going to be here next year as the starter?

7. dholi

dholi Member

8. msn

msn Member

I don't think the Texans will stick with Carr, but I don't see this article as particularly dogmatic evidence at all. This quote in particular is telling:
    This wasn't Kubiak posturing before the press. That was Kubiak interviewing a guy for a job, while we admittedly have no idea how serious Kubiak is about this guy's possibilities of joining the Texans.

I don't think it dogmatically proves either point.

9. Major

Major Member

I tend to agree. People should remember that everything relating to the draft from the day people announce until draft day is filled with misinformation. What's the benefit to publicly talking about how great a player is?

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I agree about the misinformation point. I argued for it in another thread.

But I think (or HOPE) this is a little different because the quotes about "something happening to Carr" and Kolb being a "hometown guy" came from Kolb himself and not the Texans.

Either way, the article says we're planning on taking a QB in the 2nd round. If true, that's pretty telling. And for the record, I hope it's Kolb.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I would guess that if the second-round prediction is true, Stanton is the guy. I think he generally rates out above Kolb. Kolb would be a third-round steal, but he's a reach in the second.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

MISLEADING THREAD TITLE:
    "Kolb didn't do anything to hurt himself," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "He can make every throw. I've been real impressed with the kid."

Two quotes from Kubiak make him a fan? :confused:

Call me when there's an entire interview on what Kubiak has to say about Kolb. Right now, he's just "another QB" to him.

13. msn

msn Member

If he's a "steal" in the third round and a "reach" in the second, then in which round does he actually belong?

14. msn

msn Member

Lower in the article:

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

No kidding, if they have him rated as a second rounder he should be there and they can take him.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I misspoke somewhat. He's a good pick in the third round. Saying steal in the third round, I just mean that he's got a better track record than the average third round QB.

17. msn

msn Member

gotcha. I haven't followed Kolb enough (and never follow the draft enough) to have an informed opinion on it.

18. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

kolb is late 2nd round, early 3rd round Grade

19. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

So, when our 2nd round pick comes up, how high are the chances that Kolb will be available?

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yep. If they want to get a franchise QB prospect then that ship sailed last year. As I see it, the Texans have too many holes to plug especially on defense. The QB position, while still a serious concern under Carr (not to mention a PR nightmare in the making), is somewhat serviceable. And if by some miracle of creation they can get Peterson at #8 then this offense gets real good real fast. Now, they would probably like to draft a young QB but not before the 3rd round and Kolb won't last that long because this is such a weak draft for QBs.

I still see them going with plan B which is to upgrade the OL, WR & RB spots and give Carr another year. They could still win a few games with David but only if they don't have to put the game in his hands and realistically speaking, they aren't expected to be a playoff team in 2007 anyway so it's not like having Carr back there will cost them a playoff shot. That would be the financially sound thing to do but would be tremendously unpopular but as I have posted before, they've already pissed off so many Houston football fans unpopular would be the least of their worries. At last look, Reliant Stadium is still sold out for all the games so the fans, while POed, are still buying the product...for now.

Now there's always plan 9 (from outer space) where they wait out Denver who will end up having to cut Plummer. Jake is signed for 3 more years I believe and would have to sign a new cap friendly contract and either (a) trade Carr (yeah, right) or (b) release Carr outright (and take the financial hit along with the associated media ridicule). In fact, both Denver and Houston appear to be in the same boat here and if a team really wanted Carr, they could simply wait out the Texans in much the same way the Texans can wait out Denver.