1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak and staff safe but far from resting on laurels

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gfab-babyboi, Jan 20, 2013.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can anyone post the rest?

Head coach Gary Kubiak, center, special teams coordinator Joe Marciano, left, and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips are all but locks to be back with the Texans.

By John McClain
    January 20, 2013

Owner Bob McNair was as disappointed as anyone over the Texans blowing their shot at home-field advantage throughout the playoffs and losing on the road in the divisional round for the second consecutive season.

To continue reading this story, you will need to be a digital subscriber to HoustonChronicle.com.

Read more: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...-resting-on-laurels-4208568.php#ixzz2IZuafke9

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

1 person likes this.
  3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm starting to despise the way this team is ran.

1 person likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This article trade exactly as if they are resting on their laurels. What a ridiculous title.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought the same thing

'Tweaking''??

Rocket River

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Tinkering"

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Theyve got at least 10 years to figure it out. Ask marciano

1 person likes this.
  8. Raven

Raven Member

Ohhhhh, Uncle Bob's not happy. Yeah, I'm sure Kubiak was shaking in his boots.

No accountability!

9. Nook

Nook Member

It must be great to work for Uncle Bob... I cannot believe Marciano is safe.

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I hope this article is wrong and Marciano is let go some time after the Super Bowl because I can't see how Manning being talented enough to over come the weak special teams protection in one game is enough to warrant him staying. They have been bad at returns for at least 2 and half seasons, outside of Manning and the fact is we need him more on defense then covering for Joe.

You can't tell me no one on his staff is promising enough after nearly 10 years to promote or we can't grab some promising special teams coach or assistant from another team or the college scene. Wade and Gary are locks but they have no reason to Marciano when he has let two quality (possibly 3 or 4 with Martin and going way back Davis) guys looking bad at returns because they are getting blocks or having their runs called back.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Remember that McNair didn't even really want to fire Capers after the 2-14 season, he just felt like the fans wouldn't stand for it and he couldn't really justify keeping him around. He did what needed to be done, he just didn't want to do it.

With that in mind, it's really no surprise Marciano is sticking around. Yes, the fans are upset and want him gone, but they're not going to raise the same kind of ruckus they would if it were the HC or coordinator significantly underperforming. Maybe Kubes and McNair hope that a new punter and kicker will somehow help our return game. :rolleyes:

I can understand McNair being calm and patient while fans get into an emotional uproar, but holy ****ing ****! What is it going to take for Marciano to get fired? Do 3 returns by a guy who's not going to be your regular return man next season really negate a full season of **** and an 11 year history of mediocre to bad special teams?

I think that both Bob and Gary hate to fire people. They're loyal to a fault. And ST coordinator is just low enough of a position that even when fans are pissed, it's not going to be THAT bad (it's not like people are going to threaten to stop buying tickets if Marciano isn't fired). It might be more likely that Kubiak gets fired before Marciano, because if Kubes ever performed his job at the level Marciano is doing his, the uproar would be loud enough for McNair to take enough notice to (reluctantly) pull the plug.

This is why this team is so frustrating. People don't do their job and nothing happens. I understand McNair not wanting to overreact but the dude has got to grow a pair more often than 2 times in 11 years.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

When uncle bob's not happy you get a raise.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Thankfully it's just John McClain. If it was from a respectable writer, I just might throw up hearing that Marciano is a safe bet to be back. As much as I hate to admit it, Kubiak and Wade don't deserve to be fired, even if I feel like they've peaked.

Marciano though, has absolutely no business being a ST coach.

14. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I cant believe Joe Marciano's job is safe... this team needs a new voice and philosphy
    for Special Teams... I dont understand this crap.....

Sitiing at home yesterday watching the Ravens beat the Patriots.. I was thinking to myself (Man the Texans would have never won that game) Harbaugh has some balls and confidence in his team... They were in the redzone 2 down and 2 and they were throwing.. They never even thought of running in the red-zone.. They were very aggresive in getting the 7 points..

Sorry to say this but Kubiak will never playcall like that... Which is the reaosn we will never beat the elit teams...

But looks like he will be here for at least 10 years or more(if your replace as Texans Coach than man you must really suck.....

15. Summer Song Giver

Bob doesn't care about winning, only dollar bills. He only wants to be competitive enough to sell out the stadium; beyond that, he does not care.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Playcaller for the Ravens was run out of Indy
    For a 2-14 season
    which netted them LUCK and with two of the leagues worse QBs
    [After 2 pretty good seasons - one was very good]

He was on a super short hook . . . . compared to Kubiak

Rocket River

17. htown1984

htown1984 Member

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think McNair or McClain understand what disappointed means, much less in the context of everyone else observing the Texans.

That level of disappointment would recognize failure and mediocrity. That these coaches and club attitude won't amount to anything more than what has happened. We are about 3-4 years past the my "disappointed" stage for when I wanted Kubes gone. I can't remember when they won a bunch of meaningless games to get to 9-7. I didn't like home before that but that year was when I was completely annoyed with the direction. I can't remember what season that was because all of the seasons run together regardless of record. At the end of the day there is no feeling that anything will change much. The team might get a little better or it might get a little worse. But it won't win big in the playoffs the way it all is now.

Yay.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Every year there was a 4 game stretch of WHAT THE F***

Rocket River

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i don't see any sources in this article. is this just garbage coming out of mclains pie hole???