1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Krugaman Deficit Scare is Largely GOP Political Tactic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Feb 8, 2010.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

As usual Krugman nails it. Don't be fooled by the right wing and even the mainstream media's scare tactics on the deficit. The same folks (the GOP) who could care less about the deficit when Bush was in are now all of a suddent concerned about the deficit. Reagan and the Gingrich crowd did this number before. Fox of course is just a GOP house organ. I'm not sure what corporate media, GE, Viacom and Disney's angle is. I think they just are opposed to goverment spending money on the middle class as they think it is less for them or possibly higher tax rates eventually on their bloated big media salaries.

Fiscal Scare Tactics

By PAUL KRUGMAN
    Published: February 4, 2010

These days it’s hard to pick up a newspaper or turn on a news program without encountering stern warnings about the federal budget deficit. The deficit threatens economic recovery, we’re told; it puts American economic stability at risk; it will undermine our influence in the world. These claims generally aren’t stated as opinions, as views held by some analysts but disputed by others. Instead, they’re reported as if they were facts, plain and simple.

Yet they aren’t facts. Many economists take a much calmer view of budget deficits than anything you’ll see on TV. Nor do investors seem unduly concerned: U.S. government bonds continue to find ready buyers, even at historically low interest rates. The long-run budget outlook is problematic, but short-term deficits aren’t — and even the long-term outlook is much less frightening than the public is being led to believe.

So why the sudden ubiquity of deficit scare stories? It isn’t being driven by any actual news. It has been obvious for at least a year that the U.S. government would face an extended period of large deficits, and projections of those deficits haven’t changed much since last summer. Yet the drumbeat of dire fiscal warnings has grown vastly louder.

To me — and I’m not alone in this — the sudden outbreak of deficit hysteria brings back memories of the groupthink that took hold during the run-up to the Iraq war. Now, as then, dubious allegations, not backed by hard evidence, are being reported as if they have been established beyond a shadow of a doubt. Now, as then, much of the political and media establishments have bought into the notion that we must take drastic action quickly, even though there hasn’t been any new information to justify this sudden urgency. Now, as then, those who challenge the prevailing narrative, no matter how strong their case and no matter how solid their background, are being marginalized.

And fear-mongering on the deficit may end up doing as much harm as the fear-mongering on weapons of mass destruction.

Let’s talk for a moment about budget reality. Contrary to what you often hear, the large deficit the federal government is running right now isn’t the result of runaway spending growth. Instead, well more than half of the deficit was caused by the ongoing economic crisis, which has led to a plunge in tax receipts, required federal bailouts of financial institutions, and been met — appropriately — with temporary measures to stimulate growth and support employment.

The point is that running big deficits in the face of the worst economic slump since the 1930s is actually the right thing to do. If anything, deficits should be bigger than they are because the government should be doing more than it is to create jobs.

True, there is a longer-term budget problem. Even a full economic recovery wouldn’t balance the budget, and it probably wouldn’t even reduce the deficit to a permanently sustainable level. So once the economic crisis is past, the U.S. government will have to increase its revenue and control its costs. And in the long run there’s no way to make the budget math work unless something is done about health care costs.

But there’s no reason to panic about budget prospects for the next few years, or even for the next decade. Consider, for example, what the latest budget proposal from the Obama administration says about interest payments on federal debt; according to the projections, a decade from now they’ll have risen to 3.5 percent of G.D.P. How scary is that? It’s about the same as interest costs under the first President Bush.

Why, then, all the hysteria? The answer is politics.

The main difference between last summer, when we were mostly (and appropriately) taking deficits in stride, and the current sense of panic is that deficit fear-mongering has become a key part of Republican political strategy, doing double duty: it damages President Obama’s image even as it cripples his policy agenda.
    And if the hypocrisy is breathtaking — politicians who voted for budget-busting tax cuts posing as apostles of fiscal rectitude, politicians demonizing attempts to rein in Medicare costs one day (death panels!), then denouncing excessive government spending the next — well, what else is new?

The trouble, however, is that it’s apparently hard for many people to tell the difference between cynical posturing and serious economic argument. And that is having tragic consequences.

For the fact is that thanks to deficit hysteria, Washington now has its priorities all wrong: all the talk is about how to shave a few billion dollars off government spending, while there’s hardly any willingness to tackle mass unemployment. Policy is headed in the wrong direction — and millions of Americans will pay the price.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/05/opinion/05krugman.html?scp=1&sq=krugman deficit politics&st=cse

2. Landlord Landry

did not read.

3. glynch

got to keep that mind closed. might lose the conservative faith.

4. SunsRocketsfan

well nothing in that article is worth reading. I think it loses all credibility when it starts to blame one political party. Enough of the blame game here. It's very simple a huge deficit is of course not a good thing. It's as simple as that. I think everyone can agree on that point. So why try to justify it? I dont need a econ degree to figure that one out.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's not a good thing in the long run, but short term economic planning deem it necessary because of the crisis. Look, both parties are crap and poo flingers okay. The main thing is the truth, which nobody on either side cares about, and neither does the media.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Hey pal this is D&D, stop it with all that sane and reasonable thinking.

1 person likes this.
  7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Wow, I am so glad to know that deficits don't matter! I think I will go on a massive spending spree, and since we really just owe it to ourselves :rolleyes: I won't have to worry about paying it back! Yippee! It can't get better than that.

8. fredred

fredred Member

Right, the Nobel Prize winning economist who makes his living studying depression economics and wrote a book on the very subject not to long ago doesn't have a clue what he's talking about...back to watching Glen Beck rant and rave.
    What exactly in his argument to do you disagree with? (Logically, not ideologically).

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well a lot of people thought greenspan was a genius too. The problem is during prosperous time you need to try to cut some of it, but who wants to raise taxes or make government smaller?

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do you really believe this? You're one of the most wealthiest and prosperous guys on the block due to hard work and good fortune. Over the years, you foolishly waste money, time after time. Over time, you continue to rack up debt, while still continue to spend foolishly. Then the hard times really come, and you believe for the short term, its wise to borrow more than ever so you can continue to live the same lifestyle, while expecting the future to get better?

1 person likes this.
  11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The pimp does not owe money to the hoes, the hoes owe money to the pimp!

12. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/11/opinion/11KRUG.html

March 11, 2003
    Op-Ed Columnist
    A Fiscal Train Wreck
    By PAUL KRUGMAN

With war looming, it's time to be prepared. So last week I switched to a fixed-rate mortgage. It means higher monthly payments, but I'm terrified about what will happen to interest rates once financial markets wake up to the implications of skyrocketing budget deficits.

From a fiscal point of view the impending war is a lose-lose proposition. If it goes badly, the resulting mess will be a disaster for the budget. If it goes well, administration officials have made it clear that they will use any bump in the polls to ram through more big tax cuts, which will also be a disaster for the budget. Either way, the tide of red ink will keep on rising.

Last week the Congressional Budget Office marked down its estimates yet again. Just two years ago, you may remember, the C.B.O. was projecting a 10-year surplus of $5.6 trillion. Now it projects a 10-year deficit of $1.8 trillion.

And that's way too optimistic. The Congressional Budget Office operates under ground rules that force it to wear rose-colored lenses. If you take into account — as the C.B.O. cannot — the effects of likely changes in the alternative minimum tax, include realistic estimates of future spending and allow for the cost of war and reconstruction, it's clear that the 10-year deficit will be at least $3 trillion.

So what? Two years ago the administration promised to run large surpluses. A year ago it said the deficit was only temporary. Now it says deficits don't matter. But we're looking at a fiscal crisis that will drive interest rates sky-high.

A leading economist recently summed up one reason why: "When the government reduces saving by running a budget deficit, the interest rate rises." Yes, that's from a textbook by the chief administration economist, Gregory Mankiw.

But what's really scary — what makes a fixed-rate mortgage seem like such a good idea — is the looming threat to the federal government's solvency.

That may sound alarmist: right now the deficit, while huge in absolute terms, is only 2 — make that 3, O.K., maybe 4 — percent of G.D.P. But that misses the point. "Think of the federal government as a gigantic insurance company (with a sideline business in national defense and homeland security), which does its accounting on a cash basis, only counting premiums and payouts as they go in and out the door. An insurance company with cash accounting . . . is an accident waiting to happen." So says the Treasury under secretary Peter Fisher; his point is that because of the future liabilities of Social Security and Medicare, the true budget picture is much worse than the conventional deficit numbers suggest.

Of course, Mr. Fisher isn't allowed to draw the obvious implication: that his boss's push for big permanent tax cuts is completely crazy. But the conclusion is inescapable. Without the Bush tax cuts, it would have been difficult to cope with the fiscal implications of an aging population. With those tax cuts, the task is simply impossible. The accident — the fiscal train wreck — is already under way.

How will the train wreck play itself out? Maybe a future administration will use butterfly ballots to disenfranchise retirees, making it possible to slash Social Security and Medicare. Or maybe a repentant Rush Limbaugh will lead the drive to raise taxes on the rich. But my prediction is that politicians will eventually be tempted to resolve the crisis the way irresponsible governments usually do: by printing money, both to pay current bills and to inflate away debt.

And as that temptation becomes obvious, interest rates will soar. It won't happen right away. With the economy stalling and the stock market plunging, short-term rates are probably headed down, not up, in the next few months, and mortgage rates may not have hit bottom yet. But unless we slide into Japanese-style deflation, there are much higher interest rates in our future.

I think that the main thing keeping long-term interest rates low right now is cognitive dissonance. Even though the business community is starting to get scared — the ultra-establishment Committee for Economic Development now warns that "a fiscal crisis threatens our future standard of living" — investors still can't believe that the leaders of the United States are acting like the rulers of a banana republic. But I've done the math, and reached my own conclusions — and I've locked in my rate.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Regardless of whether or not he's right about the scope of the deficit problem, he's definitely right in pointing out that the media hitting the panic button can only make matters worse.

Because the Democrats were crying doom and apocalypse when Bush was digging us into this huge hole in the first place?

You think it's a coincidence that all this talk only heated up once the Democrats are in power?

14. glynch

15. glynch

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I fixed it.

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

The deficit is just a talking point for the minority party. Neither party really has a solution. Since Krugman is a Democrat, he thinks it's no big deal right now - just GOP fear mongering. If Bush were in office, his tone would be different. This is obvious - and applies to all these political commentator-types. To deny any bias from a particular side is like saying their crap don't smell. I'm sure some guy like George Will defended deficit spending 5 years ago and is probably against it now.

If McCain won, we would probably have trillion dollar deficits anyways. I don't know the numbers, but I think it's more of a revenue problem.

18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Uh, no. Quite a few conservatives slammed Bush over his growth of the federal government and his idiotic spending. Both parties have failed to reign in it, and many people, regardless of political viewpoint, understand through common sense that deficits are not good.

You've never read Will, have you?

Well, yes. Common sense dictates that government keep spending beyond their limits, bad things will happen. Krugman himself kindly points that out in the article that Shovel Face provided. I'm hardly a populist and I despise Palin, but understanding that a government can't excessively go beyond their limits for prolonged periods of time is not that difficult.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

as usual you miss the point. in 03 we didn't have to run big deficits, we didn't have to start an elective war, we were coming off budget surpluses

with the last 8 years behind us, we no longer have choice

20. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Riiiight.