1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kristaps Porzingis

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting -- DraftExpress has moved him way up, saying the Sixers take him at #3.

2. basketballholic

They've got us taking Dekker at #18 too. I don't believe that for a second.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Heard rumors about this for a while now, Hinkie apparently really likes him. Would be a better fit next to Embiid and Noel because of his jumpshot, think there are doubts that Noel and Embiid can co-exist.

Drafting a PG would also make a lot of sense as there are a few good ones available, but maybe Hinkie wants to wait another year and keep his team incomplete for a season.

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Hinkie wouldn't show his hands...not this early IMO.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree. I believe he will keep his cards close to his chest.

6. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

7. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lakers are now considering him at #2 apparently. Kid is the real deal.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Porzingis was VERY impressive in workout. A scout called him the best player in the draft &quot;He's better than Karl Towns,&quot; said the scout.</p>&mdash; Keith Pompey (@PompeyOnSixers) <a href="https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/609457486312050688">June 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Porzingis torching the nets <a href="http://t.co/wh7jiZ4RZz">pic.twitter.com/wh7jiZ4RZz</a></p>&mdash; Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/609450094002188288">June 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SPORTS More: NBA NBA Draft Kristaps Porzingis
    A 19-year-old Latvian prospect is blowing away NBA people in workouts, and some think he could be the best player in the draft

SCOTT DAVIS

JUN. 13, 2015, 8:21 AM 53,959 3
    EMAIL
    PRINT
    kristaps porzingisVia Grantland/YouTube

With the 2015 NBA Draft less than two weeks away, one of the most mysterious prospects is making a name for himself.

Nineteen-year-old Latvian player Kristaps Porzingis, considered one of the top prospects in the draft, held his first US workout in Las Vegas on Friday and impressed a gym packed full of team officials.

At 6-foot-11, Porzingis has the height of a center, but is long, wiry, and nimble, almost in the mold of Kevin Durant. He can shoot 3-pointers, take the ball off the dribble, and can block shots on defense. He showed a glimpse of his skills at the workout, leaving one scout raving about him:

Porzingis was VERY impressive in workout. A scout called him the best player in the draft "He's better than Karl Towns," said the scout.

— Keith Pompey (@PompeyOnSixers) June 12, 2015
    Porzingis torching the nets pic.twitter.com/wh7jiZ4RZz

— Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) June 12, 2015
    DraftExpress posted a video of Porzingis' workout, where he showed off some of his versatile skills:

Via DraftExpress
    ESPN's Chad Ford similarly raved about Porzingis' skill, saying he might be the second-best prospect in the entire draft, and he could give Karl-Anthony Towns a challenge for best prospect:

"In Porzingis' case, I think there's enough evidence of his play in Sevilla to safely say that the things I love about him (his shooting ability and his athleticism) will come through in the NBA. If Porzingis were playing at Duke or Kansas, I think he would be the toughest competition for Towns for the No. 1 overall pick. I really believe [Philadelphia 76ers GM] Sam Hinkie may pull the trigger on Porzingis at No. 3."

http://www.businessinsider.com/kristaps-porzingis-blowing-away-2015-nba-draft-scouts-2015-6

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

I laugh at draftexpress videos, seems like players never miss in those. I can do my 2-4 hour workout where I hit my shots, maybe some stretches of 5 shots or more in a row and put up a great video of 5-10 minutes where I hit everything. I'm talking about every single video they share, not about latvian specifically.

Scouts can talk what they want before draft.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Notwithstanding the Embiid potential setback... I think HInkie would be dumb to keep taking bigmen. Especially when the exact player they need, with similar upside, may also be sitting there.

Here is what Draftexpress says about the #4 pick in the mock...

Yeah. Please HInkie don't let Russel drop to the Knicks. Let the Knicks see if Porzingis works.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Really hope the Lakers pick Okafor and not this dude. I think Okafor underwhelms. This dude looks like the real deal.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Bargnanni like

14. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Looks like Jianlian 2.0 to me.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yi couldn't shoot anywhere near at the range that Kristaps does. He is skinny though, and doesn't have a frame to put much muscle on. I feel Kristaps will be better than Bargnani, but he isn't as skilled, as Dirk despite his superior lateral quickness.

16. basketballholic

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eo_7LUIFBzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I have to admit -- that workout video was very impressive. It looks like the moves extremely well and makes aggressive moves (granted, there is no defense here).

I'm sure he has to bulk up to be able to defend fours straight up, but the fact that he can block shots and hit threes at that plus size is very intriguing.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Zarko Cabarkapa mk2??

Dunno why, but he reminds me of him so much. Probably more athletic

19. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

All depends who he joins, how much a leash he's on, etc.

I mean he can go bargs mode and not give a ****, zarko mode and not play much or Dirk mode where he has a very long leash and the franchise will swallow a **** season.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

All the noise, though, about the Lakers wanting to draft him? No.

If the 76ers really wanted him, best to trade back with Orlando. Even NY.

I still see the top 3 as Towns, Okafor, Russell. The Knicks act like they want to trade back. And not work on a project.

Porzingis? Maybe a swap of Philly and NY, if the 76ers really want him.