1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kostas Papanikolaou signed with Barcelona

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rumelian, Jul 20, 2013.

1. rumelian

rumelian Member

He signed for 3+1 years with Barcelona.I am sure about his upside but people in europe is talking about Barcelona overpaid him.Because they will pay 5.5 million euros for 3 years and that is really too much in europe basketball standarts.I wonder if he will be a rocket one day ?

----------

FC Barcelona and the Greek player have reached agreement on a three year deal, with a further optional season.

FC Barcelona, Olympiakos and Kostas Papanikolaou have reached agreement on bringing the Greek player to the Club once he has undertaken a medical.

Papanikolaou is set to sign for three years with a further optional season.

Papanikolaou, who was born in Trikala (Greece) 22 years ago, is 2’06 tall and was a member of the team which won the last two Euroleagues , as well as a Greek League and two Greek Cups.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/basketba...cle/kostas-papanikolaou-second-summer-signing

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Looking like he will be another guy who never comes over.

3. conquistador#11

bye bye ingles joe. (that's actually a player' s name, ingles joe)

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

thats awesome. our easiest shot at a sf with size who can defend and stretch tthe floor, someone we desperately need, is gone. whats that about 3-5mil a year we could've saved?

but no lets not go into the lux tax, lets get all these scrubs instead. we'll be one of the rare teams to win a title w/o going into the lux tax.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It depends on his buyout. Pretty sure that most these international players can come over any season if they are willing to be bought out and the NBA team is willing to pay that fee of course.

6. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

I'm sure Morey is happy with this. Better he play and improve overseas instead of the D League. There are no minutes for rookies this year, not that there are ever many.

7. Oracle

Oracle Member

Interesting. How do you know that this guy will be the solution? The Greek league is a bit different from the NBA. I don't think that the Rockets have a problem at SF. Chandler Parsons may not be KD, LaBron or Melo, but he does his job very, very well. Having Casspi, Garcia and Williams backing him up, I don't really see how Papanicolau would make much of a difference.

I do believe that the Rockets will be a serious contender and may win the title without going to the luxury tax bracket. It's ridiculous to call these guys scrubs. The Nets and the Lakers had last season scrubs worth $100 mil, and they weren't better than the Rockets without Howard. San Antonio was better, but they had all those cheap scrubs.

8. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

The guy has repeatedly expressed his desire to come to the NBA.
    Of course there must an opt-out clause for the NBA after year one or year two.

9. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Stupid... NBA championship? Money? Sponsorship? People that actually watch you play? Play against the best in the world?

Nope. Barcelonas better.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

OHMSS was right. Go figure.

11. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

We can't go into the tax..... We have no exceptions aside from the RLE, which is junk. Should read up a bit before you ask to spend Les' money and criticize. I'm sure he or Llull will get the MLE next year, and the other after.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a good deal for Barcelona. Have Papanikolaou for a year on a decent contract and then have Rockets pay them 1.5 million to cover a good portion of his salary for that year.

13. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I don't want no two and a half foot player no how.

14. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

We have a pretty good sf, i think we'll be okay for a few years.

15. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

I believe that's 2.06 meters.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets don't get an elite PF, Parsons could become a PF in 2-5 years.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

IMO, the only thing this means is that the Rockets basically have to use their MLE(maybe not full but quite a bit of it) if they want to sign the guy. Something I felt they had to do even before this new contract.

If they find him worthy, then obviously he'll be here next offseason for the MLE. Otherwise, he can always be traded or just stay in Europe.

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The only thing the rockets could have offered him was a minimum salary, or their room exception for 2.6 million for 2 years.

Your post is ignorant.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Why? He wants to play in the NBA and has a $1 mil buyout for next year...

20. Big Red Machine

I can't tell if you're joking or not (even if you are, it's not funny at all).

The player's name is Joe Ingles. He's Australian.

1 person likes this.