1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kornheiser Out Gruden In

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pgabriel, May 18, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thought this guy was finally starting to find his place

link

BRISTOL, Conn. — Former Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden is replacing Tony Kornheiser on ESPN’s Monday Night Football broadcast team. Kornheiser cited a fear of flying in his decision to leave after three years.

The network said Monday that Gruden will be in the booth with Mike Tirico and Ron Jaworski when the show starts its 40th season this fall.

“If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden,” Kornheiser said in a statement released by the network. “He is the two things you most want — smart and funny — and has the two things I don’t — good hair and a tan.”

Gruden led the Bucs to the 2003 Super Bowl title but was fired after this past season after his team lost four straight games to miss the playoffs. He worked as a guest analyst this year with the NFL Network during the draft and scouting combine.

“To join Mike and Jaws in the booth and to work alongside this top-notch team is going to be a real thrill,” Gruden said.

Gruden will make his debut with ESPN with a preseason game on Aug. 13, a Super Bowl rematch between the Arizona Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Kornheiser will continue to appear on ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption, and is relieved it doesn’t require air travel.

“My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true,” he said. “When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would’ve frequently moved me from the bus to the air.”

Gruden was an NFL head coach the past 11 seasons, with the Buccaneers (2002-08) and Oakland Raiders (1998-01). He had a 100-85 record, leading his teams to five division titles.

His best season came in 2002, when the Buccaneers went 12-4 and then beat the Raiders 48-21 in the Super Bowl. Gruden was 38 at the time and the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl.

Gruden began his NFL coaching career in 1990 when San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Holmgren hired him as an assistant. When Holmgren was hired to coach the Packers in 1992, Gruden became his wide receivers coach.

After three seasons, Gruden went to the Eagles as an offensive coordinator, and in 1998 became coach of the Raiders at 34.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Meh, people are still gonna watch the games either way. It's football.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Fear of flying?

Really?

What is with these old football coots and fear of airplanes?

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i would guess he was joking.

edit...nevermind, he apparently was not.

5. conquistador#11

Yeay!! now there will be 4 cameras on gruden's facial expressions, and no more jokes about our glorious red uniforms. I've never seen a ketchup/katsup bottle with a blue cap. :mad:

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

at least they have a guy who now knows some football as the third guy. i think that whole kornheiser deal was trying to add the comedic affect, which just wasnt working out. kornheiser is great on PTI, but play by play..eh.

7. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

lol the guy above me has a very appropriate name for this thread..

nonetheless, didnt John Madden have something like this as well?

8. Jayou

Jayou Member

Yeah, he doesn't fly either. But he makes a million time more money than Kornheiser, so he can afford a giant RV bus to travel around the country.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

ESPN gave Kornheiser his own bus too. You think Madden bought his bus? Why do you think there is a sponsored player of the week thing on the side? Its so that NBC can get help paying for it.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yay. Kornheiser can go back to the radio now, where he was always at his best. Adam Carolla Podcast + Tony Kornheiser Show = Bearable workday. For me at least.

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Kornheiser never did it for me. Good riddance.

12. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Exactly. I love Mr. Tony on his radio show & PTI, but MNF was just not a good fit for him.

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Count me as one happy to see him go. Now I ama wondering how good/bad the replacement is going to be.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah not a big Kornheiser fan in terms of his contributions on MNF.

Gruden did well on NFL network during the draft I thought, he was pretty charasmatic and added a lot of insight.

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Meh, who cares. Sunday Night Football took all the good games and has Collinsworth now. Never thought MNF would be the red headed stepchild...

16. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I can't stand this guy. He's the poster boy for East Coast Media Bias. He also is a closet Rockets hater. Bitter old b*stard.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I only caught most of the second half. Gruden was freakin awesome tonight.

18. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I am sorely disappointed that Mr. Tony has not returned to the radio yet.

He needs to begin yodeling via podcast... maybe Nigel can help set it up for him.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Liking Gruden so far, bringing that Old School Football Coach analysis instead of turning into a corporate sissy.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

As long as I never have to listen to Dennis Miller again I'm ok. Tirico, Jaws, & Gruden seem like a good team to me.