1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kordell a Texan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Another Brother, Feb 12, 2003.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I hope so... I'd love to draft him.

2. Possum

Possum Member

First you're contradicting yourself. Warner was good enough to lead his team to the SB and be a MVP. Hes had some problems with injuries that have coused him to not perform up to his level. If the injuries are healed he's still the man in St Louis.

Second, Read Bobbs respose.

Third, It was a joke! See the smiley face:D ;). You shouldn't take things so personally. :(

Finally, i'm no Naustradumbass :) but i'll say he will go to whomever offers him the best combination of money and opportunity. Funny you should mention Dilfer because I believe Kordell will be in the same situation he was in as a free agent. Most likely there wont be that many options for him.

3. mduke

mduke Member

LOL.....me too;)

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Ravens are saying they are happy with the Chris Redman/Jeff Blake QB situation they will not go after Kordell.

QB Stewart not on Ravens' wish list
    Team sources say priority is getting Blake re-signed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Brent Jones
    Sun Staff
    Originally published February 14, 2003

Although it has been reported that the Ravens would be a possible suitor for quarterback Kordell Stewart, the team's top priority remains re-signing quarterback Jeff Blake to a multi-year deal, team sources said.
    Stewart, who was the Pittsburgh Steelers' starter before losing the job to Tommy Maddox after the third game last season, will be released at the end of this month to help the team get under the $75 million salary cap.

Stewart, 30, was scheduled to earn $6.3 million in salary next season.

The Ravens are forbidden by league rules to comment on whether they will pursue Stewart until he is released, but team sources say there is little interest in signing him.

5. tigereye

tigereye Member

First of all, I did not realize that the post was intended as being a joke. If I offended you in any way (which was not my intention) I am sorry.

Now getting to important matters............Word out of St Louis according to ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton, Kurt Warner is most likley through in St Louis. The fallout between Warner and Mike Martz was not pretty. In fact there was a lot of mud slinging goin on between the two in the local St Louis media. Fact is, the Rams are weary of him because of his injuries and his age. To thicken the plot, add the fact that Warner has been outplayed by Marc Bulger, who is younger and has a clean bill of health so far. Its all beginning to add up and it is not looking good for Warner. Despite winning a Super Bowl and taking them to another, his future in St Louis is in jeporady. Remember, in the NFL, it is not about what you HAVE done, but what have you done for me lately.

And personaly, I think Kordell's situation actually resembles that of one Drew Bledsoe. Like Bledsoe, Kordell was the team's feature QB and like Bledsoe, he was outplayed by his backup, which has now taken his job. And you cant deny the fact that both Kordell and Bledsoe are Pro Bowl type quarterbacks. And like Bledsoe, wherever Kordell lands, he will instantly make that team a better team.

A previous post suggested that the Ravens are out of the pursuit. However, it could be a somkescreen because most NFL teams lie anyways, see recent offenders Lions, 49ers.
    If the Ravens are indeed out of the running, I think he lands because in Denver because he makes the Broncos better by having an actual quarterback since John Elway to run the offense. Furthermore, a big name free agent pickup will help sell more tickets and merchandise. Plus he played his college ball at Colorado for the Buffaloes and most people in Colorado still have the memory of that classic clash with Michigan, in which he threw a last second hail mary to win the game, in their heads. Jake Plummer is not out of the race but I think Kordell will eventually land in Mile High.

6. Buck Turgidson

I can and will deny the fact that Kordell is a Pro Bowl type quarterback. As has been mentioned before, he's only had one above average year.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i second, third and fourth that. is "tigereye" japanese for "kordell stewart?"

8. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

You can deny it all you want but it's a Fact that Kordell made the Pro Bowl the year before last. So technically his year was far better than an above average year.

I still don't think he's the right man for the Texans as a backup but he's not as bad as some of you are making him out to be.

9. Buck Turgidson

No one is disputing that he did in Fact make the Pro Bowl in 2001. What I am disputing is the "Fact" that he is a "Pro Bowl type" qb, meaning he is a perennial candidate for such honors along the lines of Favre, Mcnabb, Garcia, Gannon, etc.... He is not. I misspoke when I said he had one above average year; he has, in Fact, been exceedingly average for his entire career. Check his numbers. Watch him play.

10. tigereye

tigereye Member

No I am not a fan of Kordell. But he gets the job done. And why do you people make him out to be as bad as Matt Hassellback.......whatever or Rob Johnson. Pro Bowler Sam Madison said he wouldnt mind having Slash quarterbacking the Dolphins instead of Jay Fiedler on ESPNNEWS this evening.

You guys tell me to "watch him play." I dont need to because I have seen him play in person and his performance and athletic ability speaks for itself. Remember, they didnt call him "slash" for nothing. However, I seriously doubt that you guys have ever seen him play. Thank goodness your not NFL scouts for the Texans or else we would be in BIG trouble.:eek:

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow...you mean someone likes Kordell over Jay Fiedler? But...but...but....Fiedler is so awesome. How could anyone not like him?

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

Ask Sam Madison. He said it on ESPNEWS this evening.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You missed my point. I was being sarcastic. Jay Fielder sucks, and anyone saying they would prefer Kordell Stewart over him doesn't tell me a damn thing about how good Kordell Stewart is.

14. Possum

Possum Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0216/1510011.html

ST. LOUIS -- Kurt Warner, coming off an injury-plagued and erratic season, will be the No. 1 quarterback for the Rams heading into next season, head coach Mike Martz told a St. Louis television station on Sunday.

Martz told KPLR-TV weekend sports anchor Dan Eassa that Warner is completely over his physical problems from last season. Warner was limited to just seven games, throwing three touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

"Kurt's our quarterback, and Marc (Bulger) will back him up," Martz told Eassa. "They are not competing for the job, per se. I feel very confident with both of them."

Martz's comments came as somewhat of a surprise, considering he said in December there would be an open competition for the starting job. Also, Bulger played terrific in relief of Warner, throwing 14 touchdown passes with just six interceptions. Bulger had a quarterback rating of 101.5, compared to 67.4 for Warner.

"What Kurt's done, you can't ignore it," Martz told Eassa. "You have to feel good about getting Kurt back onto that level."

Obviously, Martz is counting on Warner returning to his two-time MVP form. In 2001, Warner led the Rams to the NFC title with 36 touchdown passes and 4,830 passing yards, the second most in league history. In his first full season as a starter in 1999, Warner led the Rams to the Super Bowl title and was MVP.

Warner missed five games last season with a broken little finger. He then missed the last two games of the season with a broken bone in his hand. He's had several hand injuries the last few years.

"I'm concerned about Kurt,'' Martz told The Associated Press in December. "We need to look at Kurt's hand and make sure in the offseason, and get him back to where he was.''

Martz said Sunday he is satisfied that Warner is fully healed.

"I was only concerned, as with the rest of the organization with the physical aspects of it," Martz told Eassa. "And that's been resolved a long time ago."

15. drapg

drapg Member

Better luck next time Miss Cleo.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Warner must've prayed a lot more than last year.

17. tigereye

tigereye Member

Alright, so I got this one wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. Ask Dickie V about Yao Ming. However, I was right about Warner's future being in Limbo in St Louis and this suprises me. As you can see, I am not the only one suprised, either.

And what with all this Miss Cleo BS. I was just giving my damn opinion as to where Kordell might end up.

18. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

True he's not Favre, McNabb, or Gannon (Garcia is not at all better than Kordell) but I was commenting when you said that he is a not a Pro Bowl Type QB. The fact that he made the Pro Bowl makes a Pro Bowl Type QB. I agree though when you say that he's not a Perennial Pro Bowl Caliber QB.

Garcia is not much better than Kordell. He's only made 1 Pro Bowl and that's with having the best WR in the game to throw to. Not to mention an offense that is designed to make him a star. Kordell is bigger, stronger, and has a much more powerful arm than Garcia, not to mention being more mobil than Garcia.

Neither of those guys should be mentioned in the same breath as Favre, McNabb, or Gannon.

19. tigereye

tigereye Member

Well said Bangin Screw. I agree that Kordell isnt the among best quarterbacks in the league but he isnt the worst, either and that's the point I have been trying to make. :)