1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kolaches

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by akperez, Sep 29, 2008.

1. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

Okay...forgive me for being clueless....BUT....kolaches are a local thing? And I'm talking about the sausage and cheese variety.

My son loooves them and it is the only thing he will eat for breakfast on school mornings besides honey buns (blech). So I'm trying to wean him off the honey buns and tried looking for a recipe for a sausage and cheese kolache to make at home. This is when I stumbled onto the fact that sausage kolaches are only a Texas thing, if not a Houston thing.

Am I the only one who didn't know this? :confused:

By the way I never want to move away. Not that I did before I knew this. I'm just saying :)

2. Imakegreatsoup

Just go to your local donut shop around Houston for the best Kolaches available... Have you tried Wesco Donuts yet?

3. mic

mic Contributing Member

I really had no idea. Is this true? If so, the rest of the U.S. is missing out big time.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yankee Doodle Donuts Jalepeno Cheese Kolaches.

Best. Things. Ever.

6. akperez

I was looking for a recipe b/c I can't go to the kolache/donut shop every morning.

7. Imakegreatsoup

You ever had mac n cheese with tomatoes and bacon kolaches??

8. akperez

Pigs in a blanket to me are different. I'm talking a true kolache.....sausage (and maybe cheese) and the bread is a bit sweet. I just saw a lot of comments about people not being able to get them elsewhere. I mean A LOT!

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Kolaches aren't just a Texas thing. There are a bunch of bakeries, coffee shops, donut shops, etc. in my little town that sale them.

10. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

This is a recurring topic on the BBS. Here's something for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klobasnek

A Klobasnek is a pastry of Czech origin that has found popularity in the central and southeast regions of Texas. A klobasnek is often thought to be a variation of the kolache. The term klobasnek is derived from the Czech word "klobase" meaning traditional sausage similar to the polish sausage kielbasa.

See: Hruska's on Hwy. 71 in Ellinger (halfway between Houston and Austin).

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

It's not just a Houston thing but they aren't that common in other places. It's a Czech food so places where there were a lot of Czech immigrants have them, Houston being one of those places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolache

12. akperez

Okay this explanation seems more accurate. Thanks! I was just curious.

13. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'm in Seattle, and the vast majority of people up here have never heard of them. My wife is in a cook and knows a ton of people with food knowledge, but unless they are from Texas, we always get a blank stare when we mention them.

There is a Czech guy who sells "kolaches" at a local farmer's market, but they're fruit pastries, not the typical sausage and cheese variety.

When my wife and I go back to Texas, we always make sure to pick up Kolaches (as well as some Czech sausage BBQ) at least once. Damn I miss them...

14. akperez

Yeah but I bet they aren't near as good as Texas kolaches ;) j/k

15. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

HEB sells some pretty good ones in the frozen section. My son ate them for breakfast for an entire school year.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm with you that there are pockets around the world...but it was the Czech influence in Texas that makes kolaches prevalent here. Friends from elsewhere tell me they never heard of them until they came here.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

FAIL in many ways. The weenie doesn't show in a Kolache, and most of the time there are two cocktail weenies inside the kolache, as opposed to ONE ONLY in a pig-in-a-blanket. Also, the bread is different: the pig-in-a-blanket variety is the croissant-type. :eek:

Ms. perez, you can do the ham-n-cheese kolaches as a variety, if you'd like.

LOL @ FireFox putting the little red dots under "KOLACHES" thinking I'm misspelling it on the post. :D Heck, even "FireFox" is a misspelling.

18. duwende

duwende Member

No one knows what they are. I live in NYC and everyone I've talked to has never heard of thing wonderful thing called a "kolache"

19. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

In both Missouri and Iowa I've seen "colaches" for sale at farmer's markets and they are always fruit pastries. I was very confused the first time I saw them, I was expecting meat and/or cheese after growing up in Houston. I'm living in northern California now and haven't see either variety up here yet.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I remember growing up with Czech festivals and having kolaches... as a pastry desert w/ fruit or creamcheese.

Now, it seems like every doughnut stand calls their pig in a blankets "kolaches", which is just a crime.

I blame Texas for this.

L2Kolache