1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe's amazing O

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by IVFL, May 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. IVFL

IVFL Member

Now, all you Kobe lovers dont get your panties in a bunch when I say this, because I know Kobe can score points like few can. BUT, I am getting sick and tired of him pushin off. I want to know if anyone else here has noticed that. I mean these are blantant push offs, not your mild manner ones. Tonight he pushed off on G whats his name like 3 times in a row, last night he threw an elbow right into someones face, oh and dont get me started on his reaching, Refs, if a mans arm is drapped over the offensive players back in an attempt to get the ball, that is a foul. Anyway just had to throw that out there. I honestly hope this series goes to 7 I have enjoyed watching it. But the reffs need to tighten up a few things.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

OMG, you mean to tell me that star players get star treatment?

3. IVFL

IVFL Member

OMG kidrock responded to a laker thread :eek: :eek:

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Regardless of who is the beneficiary, crying about the refs is really lame.

5. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

blah blah blah.

No offense to the author of the thread, but if every player were treated equally, and the rules were followed to the core....there would be at least 100 carries, 100 travels, 150 fouls, etc. per game.
    Then, you wouldn't be able to call it the NBA, but "basketball".
    ;)

Refs are just doing their job.....blame Stern.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Oh well thats how it works....Jordan's shot on Bryon Russell wasn't exactly the cleanest play in the world with Jordan basically throwing him off. The good players get calls...thats how it is.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kobe also acts like he gets fouled every single time he misses a shot. On this one play, he drove to the basket, and David Robinson blocked it cleanly, but Kobe screamed "HEYY!!!" and was later shaking his head. I'm really getting sick of him.

He always yells "HEY!!" whenever someone just touches him slightly. It's a contact sport, Kobe, get used to it!

8. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

"HEY, star players get star treatment. I'm MJ wannabe, get me Jordon's treatment." :rolleyes:

9. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I agree that some stars should get a little better treatment, but the pampering Kobe gets is beyond me.
    You can count on a foul if Kobe even dares to drive to the basket. :mad:

10. IVFL

IVFL Member

Yeah what am i thinking, wanting the rules to be enforced as they should be. God I am an idiot sometimes:rolleyes:

And people wonder why the NBA is having problems with ratings:rolleyes:

11. IVFL

IVFL Member

Well I had the choice between, sniffing on Kobe and the Lakers jock and complaining about the refs. I choose the more respectable one. . . . what about you kidrock

And I will continue to complain about the refs, there needs to be some serious change if the NBA wants me to continue to watch that crap they put on the floor.

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Who cares if they would start doing this then eventually the players would adjust and then the NBA would be a little better, the main thing i hate about the NBA is its too much 1 on 1 crap thats why college basketball is so much better

13. Band Geek Mobster

Anyone remember Steve's rookie year?

Remember how many times he got called for palming the ball? (At least once every 2 weeks)

Now how many times has he gotten called for palming ever since his rookie year? (I imagine you could count them on 1 hand)

Stars get star treatment, it's impossible to enforce every rule at all times, and if the refs suddenly started doing that, then both teams will be averaging 50 FT attempts per game. Everyone would then start b****ing about how boring the NBA is...

14. IVFL

IVFL Member

That wouldnt be the NBA's problem, it would be the players though. If the players cant learn to adjust and play by the rules, perhaps they shouldnt be in the league. I also understand there are times when the ref will swallow his whistle, but I am getting tired of players getting fouled, and the ball going out of bounds, even though it was off the player that was fouled the refs give it to that team to take out. I mean just call the game the way it meant to be called.

15. Band Geek Mobster

The NBA became popular because of it's stars, not because of it's strict adherence to the rules. If the game gets bogged down by constant foul calls, then the fans will stop attending the 3+ hour games and choose to watch something else on TV. This would then become the NBA's problem...

I don't know about you, but I get tired of the final 2 minutes of a game turning into a 30 minute affair because of the intentional fouls by the opposing team the second the team with the lead touches the ball. If you want to nitpick, then those fouls are all flagrant fouls, do you think the league should enforce those fouls as well? If they did, then they'd basically eliminate chances for the opposing team to make a miraculous comeback at the end of the game...I'm just curious about what you think of that issue.

Speaking as a Rockets fan, I prefer the preferential treatment because I know Rockets games would become much much much more boring with Steve and Moochie getting called for palming and Yao getting called for hooking every other possession...

16. IVFL

IVFL Member

a flagrant foul is fouling with an intent to harm. an intentional foul is when a player is fould intentionally, or not going for the ball. So no those wouldnt be flagrant fouls, as long as the players are going for the ball.

This may be hard to belive but if you were to call more fouls, it would actually free up the game, no more pulling, reaching, or "fighting for position. Basketball is actually a NON contact sport. I know that may be hard for some people to belive but its true. Sure people are going to run into each other, but its gotten way out of hand. This is why scoring is down, because fouling has increased, while called fouls have decreased. Think about it, are you going to shoot at a high percentage if every time you do shoot, you are bumped our your arm is hit while you shoot? I know I wouldnt, and I think the lower field goal percentages are showing that to be true in the NBA.

17. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Dumb refs!!!

Especially the one who called TWO......TWO.......DOS......DEUX.......ER..........TWO!!!!!!!! carrying calls on Steve Francis.

Doesn't he know who Steve Francis is?!?

18. mhan

mhan Member

you guys have seen bowen holding kobe right? it goes both ways. kobe doesn't get called for the push off because he's got a rep as a great offensive player, and bowen doesn't get called for the holds because he's got a rep as a great defensive player. part of the game.

19. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

People, I don't condone what the refs or players do.....I'm just stating the obvious.
    Hell, I don't even watch the NBA anymore.
    Just don't go and blame the refs as if they're the sole reason the NBA is called the way it is, blame Stern.

And for those that think the players would be able to adjust, be prepared to wait several years.
    The league isn't worth sh|t currently, how long do you think it would take for it to be good + adjust to the new way of calling the game?

All I'm saying is, stars will always get the calls, while superstars will get whatever they desire.
    Maybe it wouldn't be such a problem if we had actual teams instead of scattered talent?

20. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

it's funny when the lakers are at home, they get home cooking from the refs, win the game by 15 points, and then phil still complains about the officiating. i mean jesus, you won the game, got away with all the flops that you are expected to get away with at home, and you still b**** like a little girl? i'm sick of this smug b*stard.