1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe vs Vince Carter by the numbers, Vince is better?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TmacsRockets, May 26, 2008.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, you need to understand two things.

1. Any stat, number, or measurement can be manipulated to make any side look better than the other. This is true in sports, in research, and in everything. Example: Hollinger's PER stats which are intended to be a "fair" look at a players. If he was to give a really big importance to say rebounding or steals rather than points, it would skew the rankings. Also if he were to give an unrealistic larger importance to ppg rather than fg%, it would also skew the results. Even his PER stat as is which is supposed to be fair, often gives an advantage to players who do not play many minutes; despite the fact that if both players were to play the same minutes, this would change.

2. You cannot just take two numbers, stats, measurements, etc. and compare them without making sure they are using comparable data sets with other variables constant, at a minimum, or at least corrected for. Without doing so, you could say that "Pirates of the Carribbean" was a better movie than the original "Star Wars" because it had higher US box office numbers during their initial release period. This would overlook the fact that tickets cost a lot more now then they used. It would also not look at a number of other factors used to compare movies.

You have to defend positions with rational arguments with data that takes all these factors in account. You cannot just throw out numbers that are manipulated to show what you want.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ummmmm, he would be our FIRST scorer......

Ohhhhhh I just started another debate.....

3. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

That's what I was going to say...his shot selection is horrible

Ok, Kobe is arguably the best player in the league to most people, so would that mean, according to tmacsrockets, that VC is the best player in the league? VC isn't even better than TMac

4. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

I understand that, but if you were to take a class in school before you were ready and did bad in the class does that mean you grade is thrown out?

Nope, it will always be included.

5. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I am convinced that TheFreak at least watched some New Jersey Nets basketball.

Some of you guys really have no clue what kind of player Vince Carter is now. He is a pansy, and he is a jump shooter, just like Tracy. But T-Mac has more skills than he does. T-Mac is a much better ball-handler and passer.

6. Jimes

Jimes Member

So if the Rockets could add Kobe or VC you would pick VC?

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude, don't let this thread turn you into a dumb rookie.

8. FR0497

FR0497 Member

While I completely agree with this thread being completely ridiculous, Carter still has some game left. He could be our 3rd scorer IF he could defer to his cousin and Yao. He couldn't early on in his career but hopefully that would change by now since it's obvious he can't be the primary scoring option and lead a team to a championship. He would definitely have to work on his shot selection but I would think he would get a lot of open looks with the D focused on Yao and T-Mac.

Bryant is just simply on another level Carter can only dream about getting too. Not only is he the most skilled and athleticly gifted player in the world, but he has a fire and will to win more than anybody I have seen since MJ. I think that one quality puts him so far ahead of Carter, and everybody else.

9. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

Sorry to break it to you but I dont think kobe or duncan can ever win a championship if they were on the team VC was on....Championship is about your team, not really about one player on the team. And VC is still a very good basketball player

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

When has Kobe ever gotten his college degree during the season? During the grueling final months of the playoff hunt and postseason.....EH?!