1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe + Paul to take on Filipino stars in exhibition game

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J-Tang, Jul 18, 2011.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

LOL! I'm watching it on YouTube. At one point after a James Harden dunk the commentators start making fun of Mark Jackson and his "Mama, there goes that man." phrase. :grin:

2. engr chris

engr chris Member

Did you see that dunk by former WKU Hilltopper Japeth Aguilar on Durant? That was sick! I hope someone posts a gif.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I'm a Filipina fan in Manila. The second game was much much better than the first, which I didn't finish watching.

I have to say--I'm not a Kobe fan at all; I hate the Lakers, etc. But I have to admit Kobe just charmed me through those two days. He was on his best behavior. He competed without being crassy; he smiled, responded intelligently in his interviews. In other words, he showed respect to the Filipino fans. KD and DR were their usual humble, soft-spoken selves. CP3 showed a little arrogance.

Filipino basketball fans were just ecstatic. They howled at very shot and laughed good-naturedly at every missed dunk and miscue. It's been said before, basketball is almost a religion for Filipinos. We are CRAZY about basketball, esp. when the best players in the world come over.

The best part for me was the NBA players posing for photos and autographs with Manny Pacquiao after the game. They showed a very human side--they became fans as well.

I wonder when the NBA will hold a real game in Manila. They will need to build a new stadium for that.

1 person likes this.
  4. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

Javale Mcgee won't be doing stuff like that in the NBA any time soon.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I hear Kobe and Manny are really good friends.

Greatness recognizes greatness.

6. Rocket 914

Rocket 914 Member

Kobe has become good with the smiling "I love coming here, we share the same passion, I will love to be back soon" routine probably with all the Nike tours he does.

Kevin Durant looks like a nice kid, who got dragged to a party by his parents. He was nice and humble but you could sense he was really dying to get out of the place immediately after the game as the crowd swarmed. At one point, in the exhibitions, Durant even got a little irritated, as the Philippine National Team's back-up center was playing him too physically. Can't blame him, though. His lack of pretense, being purely about basketball is what endears him to many

Derrick Rose who is very similar to Durant in stature and demeanor, was more patient with the crowds. And you can tell from his body language, this was genuine. A really likeable superstar, only wished he could have put on more of a show on the court. But, with injury risks and all, it wasn't probably worth it to do his high-wire act.

CP3 was more aware of playing to the crowd during interviews. But I agree he could put off some of the fans as he sounded a bit like a politician rather than a genuine fellow. I attribute this mostly to the questions such as one fishing for compliments on the how good the Filipino guards were. We can't expect CP3 to be completely honest like: "They were smaller and slower, than most I have played with; I knew I could get a steal/block/blow by/jumpshot every time I wanted to"

Overall, it was a great treat and all in the spirit of fun

7. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

8. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member