1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe on making teammates better

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sew, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think the team mates around kobe were upgraded.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i guess kobe made shannon brown better today on the bench :eek:

3. supdudes

supdudes Member

Shannon's work ethic, and his developement of his shooting is largely attributed to Kobe. Not saying it was any of Kobe's credit that SB12 (as the Laker fans call him) is shooting the lights out this season, but since we're on the topic, you can ad Shannon to the list of improved players who have played with/ are playing with Kobe.

Kobe being on the bench shows that he trusts Brown...just read the article it actually mentions something like that.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I get what Kobe is saying. His drive and work ethic and intelligence, and he's really toned down the youthful/punk arrogance he used to carry himself with -- I can see how that makes players "better". You spend time with a player like that, and it makes you want to practice harder and earn his respect.

I've grown to appreciate Kobe's floor game and his "intangibles" more and more over the last 3 years. I used to just not like him. But that dislike has given way to deep respect. Its his fans that kind of turn me off.

5. TheMacster

TheMacster Member

Yup, same with Ariza, same with Pau Gasol's stronger will/drive to win, all correlated with being around and playing with Bean.

6. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

It was well documented how Ariza improved shooting with Kobe's help. It's easy to see Shannon is on the same route.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

so kobe is the coach? he determines if brown plays or not?

it's phil jackson my man. he may not be an X and O coach, but the guy knows how to motivates players and make them better. wish adelman can do that with our team right now

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

At first I thought that was a great quote, then I realized Phil brainwashed him into it. Kobe is a feeble mind. Let me prove this by altering that quote a wee bit like his lawyer would about making his b****es and posse better:

let me translate this just for fun

#48 heypartner, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  9. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Yes he does. Kobe mentions it in the article. He overrides Phil when he feels like it.

Most of the players acknowledge Kobe for making them better. Even a guy like Kevin Durant said playing with Kobe and seeing his work ethic in Team USA inspired him to be a better player. Durant's breakout season came right after playing with Kobe during the summer.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree, Magic got Westfield fired and Bird got Fitch fired.
    nothing wrong with that, plus we have Moses and Hakeem saying this, too.

quotes:

Moses: "There is a rat in the house, feed him some cheese."
    Hakeem: "Giv me da ball."

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Lol, you're in no position to call anybody's analysis flawed.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

Ultimately, what really matters is that Kobe was 0-2 and Gasol was 0-3. Neither guy was winning playoff series without the other.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

What a freaking joke.

It is well documented that Ariza got hot shooting the ball for a few months right before he hit free agency and since then has reverted to shooting so poorly (for more than a year now) that Rafer Alston cringes looking at Ariza's box score numbers.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

WTF? PJ and Pops are the best, complete Xs and Os coaches in the biz. He's not a Doc rivers clone. The guy does indeed knows his Xs and Os. Look at the Lakers roster during the Shaq-Kobe years, it had two superstars and a swiss army complement of role players. Unlike RA, PJ knows who to play on the court at exactly the right time.

I also don't doubt Kobe causes his teammates to work on their game, he probably bullies them jordan style if they suck on the court. Didn't he smack Gasol on the head for giving in to KG and Perkin's bully tactics? Personally I would love a guy like that to be here and smack all the bums around.

However in terms of leadership I'm pretty sure Kobe doesn't do any of that ****. If you look at their games against Orlando it was Fisher who was actually motivating and inspiring the troops, Kobe just watched.

15. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Ultimately it means that Kobe was still able to get wins despite having a crappier team than Gasol.

Kobe 5-8
    GaSOFT 0-12

5-8 > 0-12

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Used to hate Kobe. But he has my respect. Best player of the past decade. He's reaching MJ status. In 10 years kids will be talking about Kobe, not MJ.

17. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

I don't think Kobe made Pau any physically tougher or any more talented.

I think Kobe made Pau strive for excellence and that's how he made him a better player.

Pau Gasol was always talented; but he never sought to be great. Kobe's work ethic is well documented; when you play with somebody that works that hard, it rubs off on you.

I do agree that Kobe < Jordan.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Nothing to add to the discussion, except that Kobe = a dman rapist who belongs in jail.

Carry on.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

This is amazing... how can you be so narrow minded and not give things a chance?

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

LOL..its only basketball. I'm quite alright being narrow minded if thats how you choose to describe me.

I hate the guy and could not care less what you or any Kobe luva thinks about it.