1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe = MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by reggietodd, Apr 2, 2006.

1. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Seriously. Is there any doubt at this point?

What can the Kobe haters possibly say negatively about this guy this season? He has defied all odds, carried his team, re-kindled his relationship with Phil Jackson, & even has his assist numbers up this year, thus involving his teammates more and make those scrubs around him better. An 81 point game by a guard? Are you kidding me? The Lakers are in the playoffs, its one of the more amazing seasons i've ever seen in my years of watching NBA basketball. My league pass this year was worth every penny even though my Rockets had a down year.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Kobe is probably the best all around player in this league, no doubt about it. I'm just sick of all his groupies, kids who don't see anything else besides him.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

LJ is having a ridiculous year...averaging 3 less points per game than Kobe, but 2 more RPG and 2 more APG...and shoots at a higher percentage from the field.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I guess we can add -- "given reggietodd sweet manlove" to your list.

5. dividend

dividend Member

IMO, it's between Nash and Kobe. No doubt Kobe was the best player this year, but that doesn't necessarily define MVP.. it will be interesting to see who wins it this year...

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nash > Kobe

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Statistically, I think Wade and LeBron have been just as impressive. And they have better teams.

There's never been an MVP who's team was around the .500 mark. To be seriously considered for the award, your team should have a reasonable chance of winning the championship.

Kobe's scoring numbers are through the roof this year, but he's also taking more shots than anyone since Jordan in the 80s. He hasn't be exceptional in any other facet this season other than scoring.

Some people think it's a big deal that Kobe got the Lakers to the playoffs. I don't buy it. Last season when Rudy was there, they were on pace to make it easily into the playoffs. Then they got decimated by injuries and everything went downhill. But they were a playoff-caliber team to start last season. This season, they were arguably better. I expected them to be about where they are (in playoff contention but without homecourt). The Lakers haven't overacheived.

8. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

you have to be a very good team to be MVP, at least that's how I look at things

9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

MVP Canidates

1. Dirk
    2. Nash
    3. Billups
    4. Duncan
    5. Wade

Kobe will get an MVP once the Lakers win at least 50 games.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed. The Cavs have somewhat more talent, but not an enormous amount more, imo. And they are 5.5 games better than the Lakers (yes, they are in the East, but still).

11. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

nash seems to me, the favorite.

The last of a dying breed of pass first pg's that have the extraordinary ability to score almost at will, but chooses to dish anyway.

I just think that, Nash makes everyone so much better that its incredible.

Yeah, kobe creates havoc on the court everytime he laces up the Kobe Bryant Hurrache's that you can buy from Nike.com or select retailers. But look at nash making diaw, barbosa, raja bell and other scrubs look like Allstars.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Simple...

You put Kobe on the Suns and Nash on the Lakers.

The Suns get worse and the Lakers get better.

Nash > Kobe.

DD

13. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

With the Lakers at .500? LMAO! Good one, reggietodd :D

The ONLY way Kobe would get it is because he's a Laker and he plays in LA, so there might be some bias to his advantage there. However, there's are two or three players in the league ahead of him on that list EASILY.

Oh, abd btw, the best all-around player in the league is Lebron, not Kobe.

14. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

As much as I dislike Dirk, he deserves to be mentioned. Billups has zero chance. I love him but he's just not having an MVP caliber season. Neither is Duncan; zero chance and not even in the top 5.

My top 4 are Kobe, Nash, Wade and LeBron. On pure raw talent, LeBron and Kobe are by themselves but Kobe is so clutch and heartless he gets the edge over LJ. He also gets the edge over Wade because he's just simply better; end of story.

I'll wait until the season is over to pick between Kobe and Nash. Kobe's team is the worst but that isn't his fault.

LeBron and Wade are my early favorites for next year's MVP. Hopefully Yao will get some mention. I'm proud of LeBron carrying the Cavs on his back during this 8 game win streak. If he keeps getting better, he'll leave Wade, Kobe, Amare, Yao and [name your player] in the dust next year.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

its steve nash

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The reason I like Dirk is because he has the Mavs close to the top of the league without another All Star, just a bunch of good players, but nobody else that is even close to his level. Nash has Marion, Billups has Ben, Duncan has Parker, Wade has Shaq, Lebron has Z, nobody else has enough wins to be considered IMO. The only problem with Dirk is that the Mavericks can't beat the teams of the other MVP canidates, besides Wade's Heat and Nash's Suns, those are the games that really show how badly they need another All Star.

17. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

uh... actually moses malone won the award as a rocket in 1981-82 when we were 40-42.... (we went to the finals but the award was voted on before the playoffs)

18. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

What do you mean last? We got Rafer. :D

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cassell

the clippers will shock the world.

20. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

i ll give this title to nash too, what a year without amare :)