1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe just won a freaking Oscar

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Mar 4, 2018.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

When he paid off the Girl.

Sephkane likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

To Jordan's credit, he was snubbed in Space Jam

3. bobrek

Oscar means nothing since Jordan was not competing against him.

Patience, heypartner and superfob like this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This. But Hollywood now has no choice but to clean it up. I think Kobe is probably not as bad as some of those bastards in the industry.

Patience likes this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

Oh ok. I didn't know getting a case dropped meant guilty in the court of law. Thanks

6. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

"After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even hearing her testify in person, I now understand how she sincerely feels that she did not consent to this encounter."

"I want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young girl."

Dude he called her into his room, put his arms around her neck, raped her without protection and was violent enough that there were blood traces on his shirt.

He did something very horrific and shouldn't be forgotten.

7. hakeemthagreat

Crock of doo-doo. Agreeing that someone may have felt differently about something that occurred is not a admission of guilt. When was Kobe convicted of rape? How long was he sentenced? Calling him a rapist is just trolling at this point. Nice try though

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What next, Noble Piece Prize?
    #thanksObama

9. Nook

Nook Member

Do you know what Kobe Bryant told the officer when they asked to talk to him about something personal?

That he didn't want it to ruin his career.

Do you know what Kobe Bryant said when the officer asked him if he kissed or had sex with his victim?

He said "no".

Do you know what Kobe Bryant said to the officer after he told Bryant he was accused of sexual assault?

Kobe asked how he could pay her off.

Kobe Bryant only admitted they had sex AFTER the officer stated that the victim had a rape kit administered.

"How hard were you holding on to her neck?"

"I don't know, my hands are strong."

"Did she bleed?"

"Yeah she had lots of blood on her."

You can believe what you want to believe.

Some people also believe the world is flat and that the moon landing was a hoax.

10. hakeemthagreat

Simple question. What did the court think about this? The answer is they dropped the case, end of discussion. As for Kobe's response to the police it seems he felt guilty more for cheating on his wife. It's not about what i believe, it's about what the COURTS ruled. You guys just don't like Kobe and need something to vent you're hatred lol

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I believe he did something and he did not fully pay for it and he got Vanessa back at the end of the day.

His Oscar win should not be thrown into that mix though. As much as I disliked him as a player, I hope the retired Kobe is a tad wiser.

I am just trying to spare him from this on this celebratory day.

#51 daywalker02, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  12. Nook

Nook Member

So? That doesn't mean he isn't a rapist.

There are lots of people that have killed and raped people and were not convicted or charged.

The evidence is strong that he raped a woman and in large part got away with it.

If you want to be a fan of him, that is fine but the past doesn't go away.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's still ironic and relevant to comment on when Oscars and Hollywood is all politics right now.
    #metoo or #payme?

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Kareem got robbed.

...and OJ isn't a double murderer, those cops were justified in beating the **** out of Rodney King, etc....

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

C'mon, it's the Oscar for Animated Short, I mean if it's for Best Picture or Best Screenplay, then go full throttle on his past.

The Oscar he received it for isn't important enough to dig out his past, just my 2 cents.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair, that's not really true either.

Being convicted of something (or not) isn't 100% correlated to whether a person did or did not do it.

In this case, one thing of note, to me, is the amount of leaks of information, detail, etc. that happened in this case, ostensibly from Kobe's defense.. which was a good strategy honestly for them, even if unethical. HIs accuser wasn't all there mentally in the first place. Once it got too much for her, and she let the prosecution know she wasn't going to testify, they had to drop the case. Even further of note, apparently reported rapes dropped like 10% the following year nationwide.

None of the above says Kobe did rape her, either....

Who knows???

All that said, James Franco hasn't even been charged with anything, and he was "blackballed" from the Oscars, effectively. Mel Gibson is a racist, sexist *******, and he was back last year. Oldman won an Oscar, and he has had domestic assault issues, plus has said some very crazy things supporting the actions of someone like Gibson.

Basically, there's no consistency with this type of stuff, other than will it be profitable for such and such person to be at the show, and how long ago did it happen and is it in the public eye still...

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Random, but isn't there another day for associated Oscars for technical stuff??
    I don't understand why they don't move these obscure categories to that day. Animated Short. Live Short. And some others.

That's the path to get the Oscars down to 3 hours.

18. bobrek

So....depending upon the award, what he did should be taken less seriously?

Patience likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes, not everyone is looking into the Short film category, his stans and the basketball watchers probably will notice that.

But I doubt the wide mass will know he won something, heck, I think there are people who forgot he raped that girl and was in court.

The Academy should be the one shaming him. I think they are not that political after all. Or as I said earlier, they did not care to do so.
    IMO with an Oscar for Best Picture he might get maximum exposure, and story of his past could reach more audience.

I am all for reconciliation though, I hope he at least had the decency to apologize in the past.

#59 daywalker02, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  20. bobrek

Sorry, but this is absurd. To base how someone's past should be viewed based upon the value of their award diminishes the alleged act and the victim.

Richie_Rich likes this.