1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Injured - How does this affect DHoward's Free Agency? Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Comic Book Nerd, Apr 13, 2013.

1. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Lakers have too much money tied up on old players. I could see Dwight not wanting that. He wants a quick fix, just like in Orlando. He didn't wanna play it out he wanted out and to be in a better situation. With Kobe unable to play for a while next year, Nash falling apart and taking around 10 mill only gasol is somewhat serviceable. He's not gonna wait for trades or amnesty or contracts to expire. He knows he could be slotted into a better position and be able to contend immediately. He's not getting any younger and you know that's in the back of his mind because after his injury he knows his longevity has been effected and he's no longer the superman he thought he was.

Big chance he bolts. Even if they amnesty Kobe they are still too far into the cap to sign someone. If they use the injured player exception they could get a non taxpayers mle which is 5.8 mill. That could maybe net them jr smith, maybe Kevin Martin if he decides to take less and start, oj mayo, but non of these players could possibly vault the lakers to success if Kobe could barely get them into the playoff scene.

Dwight knows he needs a pg and sg and shooters to be effective. He will not have that in la because Nash's injury and Kobe out. He's gonna realize it in the next few games with the double teams and fronting. He's gonna look for those as he plans to find a new team

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the Lakers amnesty him and he misses all of next year rehabbing, I believe they could sign him again for the next year.

IMHO, he gets amnestied, and moneybags Howard stays put.

DD

#42 DaDakota, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  3. Albinoswordfish

What's funny is that Howard would be a perfect fit for the Rockets if he just played the Tyson Chandler role. But I know for sure no way that's happening, he's going to demand the ball in the post 20+ times.

4. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Dwight needs to be in the spotlight. L.A. has too many uncertainties and no wiggle room at all! He can come to Houston. #1 Harden #2 Cap Room #3 Youth #4 No State Tax #5 Assets #6 Lin Global Marketing. #7 Playoff Ready Team. We sell him as the missing like for a championship run. Add the chance to add Josh Smith to roll with. Could you imagine the road trips? Plus you don't know how Kobe going to be after he recovers plus he don't have but 2 years in him before the injury. No cap room or sign and trade to pair you up with someone decent. Dwight can't wait 2-3 years for a rebuild. He's in his prime!

5. jlowe362

jlowe362 Member

I salute you!

6. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I've seen this said a lot, but i don't believe they have a 1st rnd pick next year either no?

7. lwlee

lwlee Member

Howard is gonna stay. He has a big enough ego to think he can carry the Lakers to a championship. D'Antoni had to slow the Lakers down, i.e. not play his brand of bball, to turn the Lakers around. Pau has been playing great recently being a bit of a facilitator. I'm interested in seeing how Nash does now that he will be main facilitator. They still got a potent team even if it is old. Unleash Nash!

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I agree the passing of the torch just got pushed to the forefront. it was going to happen anyway. The Lakers would have promised the world to Howard to keep him. And now they wil offer him the universe. It will be very hard for him to walk away from all the glam and glitter that is L.A..

Still if Howard had already made up his mind to come to Houston or at least seriously considered it, I suspect he will still consider it. Kobe's injury just makes it a little more likey he will stay.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

He was staying before the injury. He is staying after the injury.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fify.

:)

DD

1 person likes this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know if Morey would even get a shot now at Howard. You know Kupchak's already hyper-fellating DH12: You'll wind up with your own statue in front of Staples Center, we'll give you every Lakers girl to add to your baby mamas there's more where they came from, oh yeah extra year $30 million....

#51 ROXTXIA, Apr 13, 2013
  12. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

5 years income tax at 13.3% a year or 4 years income tax at 0%. Better team lower cost of.living. You be the judge.

13. jocar

jocar Member

Howard will try to step up and be the man. He'll probably fail since they're capped out, but he won't care cuz he's now the star of Hollywood.

14. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

That 5th year be more like 11 million after taxes then 30 million. He can't make that up in endorsements with Lin? The Next 2 years with Laker Vs. Next 2 years with the Rockets. That's what really matters. Lakers has no cap. Can't sign and trade any longer in cap hell. Has no 1st round picks due to Cabs and Suns trade. And every body else is old and injury prone and overpaid!

15. HL3

HL3 Member

Howard would be making a mistake if he stays in LA with that roster.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Chauncey Billups hasn't suffered too much. His per-38 numbers are almost as good as they were last year, pre-injury. He's playing fewer minutes now, which we can definitely expect from Kobe when he returns.

'Nique also tore his Achilles, at 32, and played another 6 years, 4 or which were at elite level (including 2 more All-Star games). It can be done, and if anyone is going to be a rehab-dominator, it's Kobe. This ain't T-Mac we're talking about.

#56 topfive, Apr 13, 2013
  17. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

If Howard stays in LA, he is frankly an idiot and doesn't want to win a ring. What can one man do with that roster? Kobe is out for at least a year, maybe less due to his determination to come back. Nash has severely fallen off, and I can't see him playing much longer. Gasol is driving down his value, and has become injury prone.

This situation is exactly what Howard wanted to avoid in Orlando. Being surrounded by a bunch of aging vets and a bench full of scrubs. If he wants to stay to 'be the man', giving up the next few years of his career for nothing to 'hopefully' get a partner in '14, then fine. Let him. He'll regret it.

If he wants to win, he will come to Houston. No knock on Kobe, but Harden has proven to be unselfish and willing to share the spotlight with another star like he did in OKC. Howard won't need to complain about getting his shots, because he will. He will be our post threat as well as our defensive anchor.

I like Asik, I think he's great. But he is no Howard. Howard was playing injured the majority of the year and he still is considered a top 5 center. He is an all-star. He can catch those passes by Lin and Harden and dunk them down with ferocity.

We sign Howard, and we trade Asik for either picks or a stretch 4 (Ryan Anderson comes to mind). With Harden and Howard, we will be thrust into the WC elite. This is what you have to do in today's league; pair 2 or more stars. We have a very good supporting cast (Lin, Parsons, Delfino, Beverley) and we have one star already. Howard may very well be the final piece.

1 person likes this.
  18. jacoby

jacoby Member

What's the possibility of signing Dwight and somehow keeping Asik?

Dump Garcia
    Dump Robinson
    Dump White
    Dump anything else

I think it'd be awesome to bring back the Twin Towers project. Asik + Dwight in the front court? The other team would score 12 points in the paint per game.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Unless you are planning on converting Howard into a PF...you dont pay you center that much to sit on the bench...especially since he has proven to be more than an above average starting center...

And this isnt a video game where you can just dump whomever you want...If you get Howard...you trade Asik...just that simple...but I do think that the general consensus is that Howard is just not liked in Houston bc of his diva status...And Asik is like Yao 2.0 in terms of personality...

Personally, I just see a more healthy career for Asik and someone that is actually working hard to improve his overall game...the strides he has made in the low post and his free throws is pretty awesome...And i think one more offseason of work with a good big man coach can help him tremendously...

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This obviously increases our chances of acquiring him. Who knows when Kobe will even return next year. Dwight would be wasting his prime years on a team that cannot truly contend for the near future.