1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe goes in HARD

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BleedRocketsRed, Mar 13, 2014.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on-jim-buss-phil-jackson-los-angeles/6335803/

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It might also help if their best player didn't eat up half the cap and chase off another star they already had.

Say what you will about Dwight, he hasn't missed the playoffs since his second season.

3. The Situation

The Situation Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. jose

jose Member

for real if he really cared about winning as much as he claims, he'd take the pay cut.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Why do I love the drawings of nbapls so much? What is wrong with me?

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree. Management that would extend Kobe -- at his age, for that much, after their window was shut -- needs some housecleaning. If they were really focused on winning the way Kobe wants them to be, they'd have dropped Kobe like a psycho girlfriend.

7. BonziWellsGOAT

Cleaverly disguised Kobe got paid too much thread

8. BonziWellsGOAT

Cleverly*

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

You aren't the only one lol. I guess we both have problems.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The future will look at Kobe for what he really is, a selfish ball player that only thinks about himself. He's a narcissist.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The question is this: If you are a star free agent, would you choose to play with Kobe Bryan at his age with his injury and contract situation as oppose to other available landing spots?

Yes, the Lakers will have a high draft pick, too, but you can't be that confident about any rookie until he shows it in the NBA. Right now, if you are choosing the Lakers, you are choosing old Kobe+Nash, Robert Sacre, Jimmy Buss, Mitch Kupchak, and the Lakers brand.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

They weren't winning even if he took the pay cut. They will hope they hit in the draft this year. Be mediocre with Kobe next year. Sign a star like Love in the summer of 2015 to play with Kobe in his last year and then likely sign another star in 2016 to play alongside Love. If they hit on this year's draft pick the Lakers will likely be back to contending in a few short years.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Words, "I won't to win".

Actions, "signs cap killing contract".

Actions speak louder than words, and the Lakers are going to be mired in mediocrity for years, because the were stupid enough not to call Kobe's bluff and let him walk. Just another example of how teams self destruct once they allow their stars to start dictating front office decisions.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's what all tanking teams say.

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Kobe had a great career. He was one of the best players of his generation, along with Duncan, and a 5-time champion. For that alone and his scoring, etc. he's a lock hall of famer. He was one of the greatest.

And the key in all that above is the choice of past-tense verbs. He's done. He'll never win another championship. He is no longer relevant in current basketball discussions. Just like they didn't bother to consult him about the Blake trade, I am certain that they will not consult him on anything else, and there is nothing he can do about it b/c it's almost certain that he'll never step foot on an NBA court again- and if he does, he'll be Hakeem the Toronto Raptor. He is as relevant now as Shaq, Jordan, Dream, etc. Meaning he is not. Thanks, Kobe, for the great memories. Now retire with dignity.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Kobe is out for the season...... and no one cares.

Kobe complains about the current Lakers situation....... and no one cares.

Kobe says he will be great again........ and no one cares.

You are a Hall of Famer and the second best shooting guard in Lakers history.... just give it up. No one cares, you time has passed....

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

For someone with so many questions about upper management, he sure had no problem signing that extension to make himself even more filthy rich.

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

That's why Kobe does what he does. He has to try to keep himself relevant when he's just not. The Lakers haven't been relevant since the last championship in 2010 b/c they haven't even come close to sniffing it since then. Plus, for all his talk about "around here, it's all about championships or you're nothing"- well, in spite of their obviously numerous championships, that team was completely irrelevant through the entire 1990s (except for 1991)- heck, San Antonio, even with less championships, was much more of a threat in the past 13 years than the Lakers.

The Lakers better get used to a potentially rest-of-the-decade playoff drought- it's very possible.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kobe is freaking awesome, and he is EVERYTHING you want your superstar to be. His mentality is straight 80s. I would have killed to have seen KG and Kobe play together in their primes.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't understand the hate for Kobe signing a contract that was offered to him, this isn't like Sprewell deciding to just not play. I just don't think it's a good argument that he should take less money for them to win. What should he take? $20 MM? 15? 5? minimum? When Kobe says he wants to win he doesn't mean as the 6th man to a LeBron/wade/bosh type big 3. He wants to win as the star of a team. I think that means a lot more. Ray Allen's ring as a Celtic means a lot more historically than the one he won as a role played last year. James Harden may have won a championship last year had he stayed with the thunder at a lower salary but I'm sure he feels more fullfilled in Houston.