1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Bryant: Imitating greatness...and where's Dream?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ketchup&Mustard, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Ketchup&Mustard

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playo...st=macmullan_jackie&page=kobefilmstudy-100604

Why don't they mention in the clip his one on one session with Dream where Kobe was actually taught some of Dream's moves first hand? Isn't that the most obvious example of him "imitating greatness"? Granted, Kobe took more of his game from other players, but it's still a shame Hakeem doesn't get mentioned in the clip (it's in the article, but not video). Yet another example of the visual media ignoring the rockets...

Lock if posted

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hakeem was a Center.

Kobe is a Shooting Guard.

3. Ketchup&Mustard

That absolutely doesn't matter. They are talking about his entire "on-court arsenal", not just his jump shot.

4. SunsRocketsfan

umm you are over reacting a bit i think. Why are clutchfans so damn sensitive and have this conspiracy theory that the media is against us. They gave plenty of props to the greats including Hakeem.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Why are you impersonating "Carl Herrera"?

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Uh, Hakeem worked out with him ONCE. He's studied YEARS and YEARS of film from players like West, Baylor, Oscar Robertson, and MJ. I remember when he said his dad used to get him tapes of Wilt and OR from the U.S. to Italy when he lived there as a kid. This is about his career as a whole and not just one work out he had with a great player.

7. Ketchup&Mustard

Not impersonating, I was just unaware that he had the name too. relax guy

8. Ketchup&Mustard

All I'm saying is it deserved a mention especially since it's relatively new news and it would show how he has improved his game by following the great shooting guards at first and then much later into his career still tweeking his game by adding a post game modeled after hakeem. It's relevant even if it's one workout.

9. Ketchup&Mustard

I'm not overreacting. I'm just stating my opinion, and I think a lot people would agree with me. I agree that the rockets greats have gotten sufficient media coverage over the years, but I believe it's apparent that when the Mcgrady-era began to decline (or even earlier perhaps) the networks began to broadcast our games less and talk about us less. It seems the networks think we're not exciting enough, even when we have plus .500 seasons and playoff seasons. It has nothing to do with a conspiracy theory.

10. ItsMyFault

How are you going to mention something about Hakeem when all Hakeem did was show him some post moves? They didn't even mention Jordan working out with Bryant (when Bryant was young)...

I don't think you get the workout he had with Hakeem. Kobe's post game was already above par before that work out. He learned MORE moves (though I don't see him using much of them on a regular basis) to add to his repertoire. The workout hasn't show any SIGNIFICANT improvement to any of his offensive game, at least none that i've seen.

11. Ketchup&Mustard

Did you just say "all Hakeem did was show him some post moves"? That's almost insulting the Dream. Wait that is insulting the Dream. Shame on you.

12. ItsMyFault

Point I'm trying to make is.... he learned so much more from those other guys than he did from Hakeem... and it wasn't really about that. It was about what he looks at... how he studies film... just all of that.

13. conquistador#11

If he was imitating the greatness of dream, Kobe would be required to be humble.. something kobe can't do.

14. Ketchup&Mustard

I can see what you're saying. The point I'm trying to make is that I think he at least deserves a mention. At least make Hakeem a footnote, right?

15. ItsMyFault

But this is about FILM STUDY. Where was he studying Hakeem? He never was. He worked out with him. I'm sure he has watched film before of the Dream, but not to the extent of him basing his game on him. The guys that were shown in that video highlight some of the things he uses night in and night out on the court.

16. Ketchup&Mustard

If it's a film study, now he can learn a lot more by watching HIMSELF in the video practicing with Hakeem. And I would think he watches the film fairly often and will continue to do so and continue to perfect a post game. He practiced in the flesh with Hakeem, I would say you would learn a lot from that. Maybe not as much as you would from watching videos of him for your whole life, but I would it still worth being MENTIONED.

17. ItsMyFault

The point of the video segment was how he learns and what he looks at when he studies film. After all, the segment is called "Film Study". I'm not saying he didn't learn a lot... but there wasn't any film studying going on with Hakeem. At least none that I know of.... there's a clip that shows him working out with Hakeem, it's only 3-4 mins long though I think.

18. Ketchup&Mustard

I see that, but espn mentions the workout with Hakeem in the article directly underneath this clip and they place substantial importance on it. Thus, it's obviously relevant in the conversation, and I think if it's in the article it's relevant enough to be mentioned in the video clip.

19. ItsMyFault

The video clip was put up earlier than the article. The writer of the article chose to include Hakeem in what Kobe's done over his career as far learning from legends/great players. I just don't see what it has to do with film studying when Kobe wasn't studying any film with Hakeem.

20. Ketchup&Mustard

The video and the article, regardless of which came first, were paired together intentionally. I'm just saying, in my opinion it should be included in the video as well. In fact there's a link on Hakeem's name in the article. It's just a glaring omission in the video to me. And the video is not only about Film study. It's about "imitating greatness" no matter what the context is, watching film or working out yourself with the player you used to see on film, and that's why it's in the article