1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I wouldn't mind either, but Barbosa is a bad defender, Diaw is a bad rebounder.

Chalmers brings 3&D, Humphries brings rebounding, defense and shooting. Both just check all the boxes for what I think we need from our backup positions.

bluffkin likes this.
  2. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Original Woj bomb back in 2012 lol. 9:43 PM Houston time.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

2015-16 season. He's fully recovered and is working out with teams currently.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Give me Barbosa and Humphries.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

For the late night crowd.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol if bledsoe is included then we should just get him and send melo to PHO :D

7. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Needs more Pit-pat.

BMoney likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Chalmers hasn't played in over a year after tearing his Achilles...a torn Achilles is 1 of the most devastating injuries that an NBA player can have, very few have come back from that

he's most likely done

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I like Barbosa, but am scared shitless of who's going to be guarding the PG's when Paul sits (or heaven forbids get's injured). Taylor is small, not a good defender. Gordon isn't quick enough.

Barbosa is old, he isn't nor has he every been a good defender (he's always been a negative). I really think we could use a defensive guard, Chalmers could be great but I understand the concern after of where he's at after his injury... but he's like the only 3&D PG on the market.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

At the point of Barbosa coming, its against the opponents 2nd unit as well. Defensive is not necessarily the focal point then. Plus, with Barbosa, the opponent is more worried about how theyre going to stop the relentless drive and attacks by him.

11. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

so actually the bad contract is myers leonard. not anderson. Someone atleast wants anderson lmao

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

None of them will be because Dantoni won't play any of them even if we sign them... I fully expect Paul, Harden and Gordon to take all the minutes at guard. When Paul is not in the game James will be playing point and when he subs out Paul will sub in.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Harden can facilitate the ball when Paul sits, he can't guard PG's at all. Gordon can guard some a little bit, but overall he's not quick enough for the majority of the guards in the league.

Again I'd just feel a lot more comfortable with adding a defensive PG.

Paul is 32, he should be averaging 30mpg at this point in his career during the regular season. That's 18 minutes without a guy who can defend opposing points if we don't add anybody who can.

pippendagimp and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  14. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

ughhh you realize chris paul will be in the game for the majority of the other teams starting pg time and can defend them right? so your asking can eric gordon defend a backup point guard for some minutes. Ughhh yeah

you are literally worrying about the least important thing. Who guarded them last year when bev left the game? We have the same cast minus lou williams. And lou williams couldnt guard anyone so it cant be worse.

Manos likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

ughhhh I like, realize how minutes and rotations work, ughhhhh.

I, ughhh, would just still like a guard who can defend PG's when Paul sits, ughh, yeah.

Because if Gordon plays full time backup PG he will basically be spending half of his minutes chasing around guys who are much quicker then he is at this point in his career.

And regarding you're edit, yes we had Lou, Lou was a bad defender and that was a big weakness. I wanted him gone this offseason and am glad he is. Houston needs much better defense, bad perimeter defense kills us.

#1715 ThatBoyNick, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  16. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Just because you play pg on offense doesnt mean you have to guard point guards. People are so wrapped up in positions. This isnt 2nd grade . You dont have to guard each other the whole game when they match you up

You are concerned about the area of least concern. If we get a 3rd defensive point guard as you say then that means theyd have to fit with harden at the 2 guard on offense too. Which then cuts into gordons minutes. **** that. Roll with taylor, save the money. Not every team has every little area covered.

When Paul sits, you have harden and gordon. When harden sits you have paul and gordon. Every minute you give to a shitty defensive point guard takes away from eric gordons minutes.

and the ughhhhs are to emphasize some common sense/ actual roster rotation thought. You are starting to nitpick. Just sit back and enjoy the super team. No team has perfect everything.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's not getting wrapped in positions, but let me put it in a way you can understand, we wouldn't have someone who can defend the opposing 6'2 180 pound guys who are quicker then Harden and Gordon when Paul's off the court for 16-18 minutes per game. That would lead to poor perimeter defense during that time, which would hurt the team. And i'm talking about adding a vet min guy, it's not spending any money.

Ughhh.

18. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

then switch ariza or tucker on him if they are killing you so badly. They have both guarded 1-4 in their career and are capable. You dont have to eat into your 6th man of the years minutes for a shitty 3rd scrap heap vet minimum point guard.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think Gordon can guard pg's. Ariza guards pgs too at times. Tucker can do it too if need be.

With Melo you'd be looking at 8 for sure in the rotation. Is dantoni going to consistently go deeper than 8 guys?

Last year he went 9 deep most nights during the reg season but shortened it in the playoffs. If Dekker wasn't hurt would he have still done that? I dunno.

I can see adding another guard but I'm not sure for a couple reasons. Who is left that is attainable and would be good enough to get consistent minutes? How would the rotation work? If they are going to add a ninth rotation player would they potentially go the other way -- i.e. Add a big instead of another guard...a guy like Bass or humphries that can still shoot a bit but also gives you some rebounding and defense inside.

That way you don't have to slide Tucker to the 4 all the time and Gordon to the three.

Beardaholic13 and ilovehtownbb like this.
  20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

With All this discussion of back up pg, I really wish we had traded Eric Gordon to the Clips before Pat Bev if they would have taken him. Move Pat Bev to the bench and signed JJRedick to replace EG. Jerry West gave us Paul but it definitely cost us a Chunk of our heart.