1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Anthony and Rose believed the Knicks and Houston Rockets were on the verge of making a trade in early July until the Knicks suddenly pulled back partly because they were reluctant to take on Ryan Anderson’s contract and also because Knicks president Steve Mills was in the process of hiring Scott Perry as general manager.

“Even though Scott and I battled over Houston I have to respect the fact that he inherited an extremely difficult situation and that he had to do what was best for the organization,” Rose added. “Ultimately, he did right by Carmelo and made a deal. It all worked out for everybody.”

Rose would neither confirm nor deny that the Knicks went to then-team president Phil Jackson and requested a buyout. However, in late June Anthony agreed to waive his no-trade clause if the Knicks could strike a deal with the Houston Rockets. The teams began trade talks that month and those negotiations continued even after Garden chairman James Dolan abruptly fired Jackson.

When it became clear that the Knicks wouldn't make a deal work with the Rockets, Anthony expanded his wish list two weeks ago to include Cleveland and Oklahoma City.

2. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

3. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I blame this thread.

Pen15clubber and brosef like this.
  4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I blame this whole fiasco on _holic, Daryl Maury, James Dolan, Ryan Anderson, Burp Steele,and Potato head

In that order

RasaqBoi and Pen15clubber like this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha this thread. I still come back to it. I can't stop moping about this.
    We've waited forever for a big 3. We were so close. It stings too much now that he's in OKC.
    It's one of those things where I really need to know what happened behind closed doors, but I shouldn't cuz it doesn't matter, it didn't happen. But did the Rockets think he was never going to expand his list? Did New York go back to them when OKC was on the table? I understand not considering EG or Ariza at first, but did they even have the option last second?

These are all rhetorical questions. More than happy to hear thoughts but please no one claim they know the definite answers; we can't all be potatoheads.

Me personally, I still have a hard time believing Morey wouldn't have parted with Ariza or EG if it meant getting Melo so I just feel like New York must have acted quickly. Morey has forever claimed you just add the stars and figure it out. The idea of Lebron picking Houston next summer, as unlikely as it is, would have Morey salivating. And he may value EG and Ariza, but he knows he can round out the team a lot easier since getting Melo probably makes you a top 3 destination for buyout candidates and what not.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

If Melo really wanted to be here, he would eventually be here.

He wanted out of NY b4 camp more than he wanted to be a rocket.

As far as I'm concerned- Melo can f himself

Vivi likes this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He wanted out of NY and really wanted Houston. He waived the trade Kicker and all sorts of things so he could be here. If he just wanted out of NY he could have opened his list earlier. If Morey really wanted him here he could have given Capella or Ariza and called it a day. Morey gambled and lost. He may not be worth too much these days but Melo was definitely worth more than Ryan Anderson.

RasaqBoi and Zoplicone like this.
  8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

All he had to do was not open up to more teams and he would eventually be a rocket

But that meant attending camp and starting season with NY.

So ultimately he didn't want to be here.

Morey was protecting melo's future team's depth by not offering e.g. or ta.

Screw Melo

J_Hunter_1977 and Jontro like this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I agree. IF its on anyone its on us. Can't expect Melo to want to go into the season with the Knicks. And yeah its not even about Ryno's worth. No current GM in the league would have made that deal if they were acting on behalf of the Knicks' best interest (its funny I say 'current' cuz apparently Phil would have let it happen.)

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's a helluva long post to say your source was nowhere close to being correct.

He was even clinging to being wrong for over 1 1/2 days after the ch44, Shams and Woj announcements. How could he be so wrong, and still believe it....and wouldn't give in. Sounds like your source is really just you....or your twin brother.

You seem to say we should listen to you/him even more for being so freaking wrong. You should move on from listening to that bozo, again.

J Sizzle, BigMaloe and Reeko like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He source said he was stubborn enough to remain wrong for 1 1/2 days, after everyone ch44, Shams and Woj reported it. How could he know CP3 and continue being so wrong for 1 1/2 days.

Here's Melo arriving in OKC *before* 'holic's source gave in. 2:30 pm local time. Meaning he surely was spotted in NYC leaving a few hours before that.

Now that's some stubborn **** to not give up, even after Melo arrives to fans greeting him at OKC in the afternoon. That's sounds too stubborn to be a coincidence. Only 'holic is that stubborn. The source and 'holic are one and the same.

#13131 heypartner, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    BigMaloe and Reeko like this.
  12. basketballholic

Cp3 is pretty stubborn.

Deuce likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey thought Melo was going to reach a buyout and then get Melo for a plain double cheeseburger and a mocha frappe

Mazulis and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

So the Melo trade gets announced by Woj on Saturday at 12:05 p.m., but your source is still talking about Melo to Houston until Sunday evening? Lol, what?

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's still funny to me how they wanted Kanter over Anderson. I guess the 3rd year really was all that mattered to them. I know Anderson sucked in the playoffs but he's still better than Kanter. Kanter was straight up unplayable lol. Seems like the Knicks just refused to deal with Houston out of spite.

thedreamsteam and JVL713 like this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Was it over when the.....Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"Germans?"

"Forget it, he's rolling."

17. AB423

AB423 Member

They were just bitter that Linsanity picked us over them so they didn't want to trade Melo over here.

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Not that we needed confirmation, but I guess holic's source is finally revealed as a fraud lol (again). The dude is clearly delusional. I love how he always tries to spin it anyways. He sure is persistent, I gotta give him that.

el gnomo likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member