1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Gawdtato never said done deal, so it's not a done deal.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Nobody believes what these random dudes with sources on social media or Reddit are saying so what's your point?

Woj didn't say anything about Cleveland and Boston having talks until a few hours before the trade was completed. Did he ever mention OKC and Indiana having talks? Training camp is approaching, we'll see what happens.

3. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

He did same imminent back on July 8 when Phil was still in charge. Then the floor fell out. Not his doing though

4. Houston09

Houston09 Member

No but everyother wanna be insider has, and everyone continues to post them on this site

mario_v and Zoplicone like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

yes, if it meant that I could do a deal for Melo while only losing Ryno from the rotation...the time is now, and u have to take risks with GS being as good as they are, so I would take that risk and be confident that as long as I have James Harden on the roster we would not be handing NY some premium lottery pick in 2020

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He updated his position when Perry came on board.

He has yet to lead us astray.

Also of note, in that video he linked to a few posts earlier, they said Rockets have standing offer to the Knicks.
    This means that even if Woj is right and "no new trade talks have happened", the Knicks could still be close to accepting the standing offer.

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Bleep em, Gawdtato or nothing

Reeko likes this.
  8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

That's right, the thing with draft picks is that nothing is guaranteed. You would much rather have the proven value than a lottery ticket chance.

This is what Boston seemed to finally realize with the Brooklyn pick. You use that pick hoping and praying that you get a piece as good as Kyrie or Melo.

Make it top 3 protected and send it out, especially if that new lottery reform goes through, top 3 is a great pick protection.

Tfor3 and Reeko like this.
  9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hahaha so basically nothing has happened yet.

Bobsputin likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

the way I look at it, the 2020 1st is the price u have to pay for only offering up Ryno...if Morey could find a way to not include the pick or put some nice protection on it then cool, but if that pick has to be included then u do it even if it's unprotected

with CP3, Melo, and Harden on this squad I think we can be a 62 win team and give GS some serious problems...we'd be their biggest challenge in the league, and if Curry or KD were to go down with an injury, we could become the favorites to win a title

DonKnock likes this.
  11. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Yet is the key word in that sentence.

"Patience is bitter but it's fruit is sweet"
    Aristotle

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure the guy I quoted was getting his info from those random dudes.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Haven't seen this posted but would it be possible for Knicks to take Anderson and some of our young prospects and possibly that 1st and then Knicks buy out Anderson? What is the downside of a buyout or stretch him? Although I believe they were going to do that with Noah

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just to be clear on Potato, he hasn't said ANYTHING is close to happening at this point, just that Melo's people still want the Rockets. His last "new report" was a week ago or whatever when he reported that the Knicks had walked back their promise.

Here's the basic structure of what Potato has reported:
    -Melo will go to Houston
    -Melo was promised by Steve Mills prior to hiring of Scott Perry that they would deal Melo to Houston
    -Basic structure of a 3 team deal was in place
    -Players on the Knicks were told a deal was going to happen
    -Perry nixed deal when he came on board
    -Melo won't expand list
    -Perry wants to get better value
    -Melo is a professional and will show up to camp
    -Melo still hoping for deal but Knicks have walked back promise

All of that has been independently verified after the fact by other reports including WOJ on a lot of it.

As for all of the 2 yard line stuff, that was before Perry came on board and it is absolutely 100% true. A framework was agreed upon, the Rockets thought the deal was done and it was yanked out from under them.

Potato hasn't really said anything since the Perry hire about a deal being imminent. He has continued to say he THINKS it will happen but that there's no new news despite people wanting him to put something out there.

MghtyPtrck, Richie_Rich, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  15. icewill36

icewill36 Member

This is NOT happening guys. If Phil Jackson wasn't an idiot an also talking about being open to move porzngis he wouldn't have been fired and the deal would've been done. This new guy just isn't going for it. Ryno isn't going amywhere. Let's just be positive about what we do have. Two HOF players, reigning 6th man, a good blossoming young big man, and one of the elite snipers in the NBA.

16. justtxyank

I know the timeline is muddy, but it WAS Steve Mills that promised Melo he would trade him to Houston and it was Steve Mills that tentatively had the deal in place. He is the one who told Morey to put a deal together and Morey did.

BigMaloe, napalm06, DonKnock and 4 others like this.
  17. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

This.

Mills was GM at the time. He moved up after Phil left. Phil would've signed off on it though. That's why Phil keeps getting mentioned instead of Mills.

DonKnock likes this.
  18. justtxyank

Actually Phil was already fired and Mills was "interim" President when he made the promise to Melo.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I told you guys this months ago.... the most "Knicks-Like" thing that they could do would be to actually bring Melo back to camp and cause a media circus where every day its "how do you feel about still being a Knick Melo".... "Have you asked the team to trade you yet Melo"... etc. etc.

If we follow historical patterns we should have seen this coming all along. Not sure why everyone here is so surprised.

The Knicks... FYI, as I said before, are going to try and force Melo to open up his list of teams. They will force an uncomfortable locker room media situation because they don't give a crap. They are the Knicks, and drama and the Knicks always go hand in hand. Steve Mills was running the show behind the scenes when Phil was apparently in charge (I actually think he had little to do with running the day to day of the team, and was more of an adviser/recruiter), and he's still running the show today even though Perry has the new job title. Same sh#$ show, different day. Not sure why you guys are so shocked now, and scolded me when I said weeks ago that the Knicks wont do this and will create drama by taking Melo to training camp to try and force him to open up his trade options.

Everyone said "no way they create a toxic locker room environment" etc. etc. I don't want to say "I told you so" but .....

Obito likes this.
  20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member