1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Once Knicks season ticket sales slow down, they'll trade him.

"Cheer for Melo to stay" is a better sales pitch than "Ryan Anderson was our best option".

"You cheered and he still wanted to go" is a better press conference than "we caved".

"He's not fitting in, maybe he's declining" is a better follow up interview than "With the benefit of Rox training camp, he is looking superb. Oh well."

IMO this trade is agreed in principle for a future date.

jch1911 likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

100% This is all on Scott Perry.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. rockets13champs

James Harden, Not LeBron James, Is Now Golden State's Kryptonite
    MP
    MICHAEL PINA

Sep 13 2017, 11:19am
    [​IMG]
    Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

"I've just started," Harden told VICE Sports. "I don't have time to look back. I'm not retiring, so I'm not looking back yet."
    • It's been said before, but with less pressure to do everything all the time, Harden will be more effective. His efficiency will rise, his turnovers will evaporate, and his fatigue will lessen.

"I think Chris is gonna help me out," Harden said. "I can do more off the ball and be more effective that way: defensively, cutting, catch-and-shoots."

[​IMG]
      Photo by Thomas Shea-USA TODAY Sports
      The Rockets should mow teams down during the regular season. Already a brick of dynamite, they rounded out a few weaknesses from last year's team by signing P.J. Tucker, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, and Tarik Black; bringing back Nene; and holding on to Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon, two identity-stabilizing role players who were born to thrive in Mike D'Antoni's system. All are suited to complement the Rockets' star power or improve their adaptability on the defensive end—or both.

Far more critical than Houston's 82-game tuneup will be how the team performs in the playoffs, particularly in a necessary showdown against the defending champions. "They won two out of three and they've been in the Finals three years in a row, so I think every team looks forward to that matchup and wanting to beat them," Harden said.

In four games against the Warriors last year, Harden made only 14.7 percent of his threes, his lowest mark from deep against any one opponent. His scoring average plummeted to 21.8 points per game, too.

This is mostly thanks to a small sample size and Golden State's barbed-wire defense—all those long-armed, highly intelligent roadblocks who can neutralize Houston's high pick-and-roll attack and contest just about every off-the-bounce shot Harden hoists at the rim. The poor outside shooting can also be explained by how Golden State's offense pressures opponents into feeling like grand slams are the only option on every possession.

Harden forced difficult pull-up threes in transition and launched more step backs than he normally would. He felt the need to attack early and often, sniffing out ostensible holes in the Warriors' armor with shots that were rushed and forced.

This season, surrounded by more competent defenders and someone like Paul, who can create his own shot and dictate offense as cleverly as anybody ever has, Harden will be able to unleash his most dangerous self when it matters most. He'll pick and choose how he wants to attack, with more spot-up attempts, (relatively) open looks, and opportunities to slice by close-out defenders.

With space, time, and complementary personnel who can take advantage of the attention he draws, Harden is in the best situation of his career—similar to what Curry has enjoyed with Golden State since his meteoric rise. Even though they have yet to take the floor, in our interview he referred to this year's team as "by far" the Rockets' best since his arrival in Houston five years ago. He was even willing to compare it to his Oklahoma City Thunder squad that made the Finals back in 2012.

"Both teams are similar as far as talent and versatility, a mixture of vets and young guys. Both are very, very, very talented," Harden said. "Now, obviously, the difference is we were younger back then, but both are good."

On this roster, he can narrow his attack from a samurai sword down to a paring knife without watching his Rockets fall behind by double digits. It's a type of freedom he's yet to experience, less predictable and more effective. It's also one of the scariest developments heading into the 2017-18 season and, for Golden State, quite possibly what slows down their dynastic run.

DonKnock and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  4. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

[​IMG]

DonKnock likes this.
  5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CC is a beast.

DonKnock, Tfor3 and Killatron 2000 like this.
  7. RocketsFanBrian

What's up with this deal tho uggh

Tfor3 likes this.
  8. rockets13champs

I wanna bust @dmorey and Steve Mills ass right now. This deal needs to get done.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

And sex appeal :eek:

@Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber and Killatron 2000 like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Fertitta might have to send some Galveston goons to Scott Perry's crib

11. Fantasma Negro

It was mentioned but she never produced a source so
    [​IMG]

#9712 Fantasma Negro, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  12. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

To think if the Knicks had just kept Phil Jackson a lil bit longer or hadn't hired Perry right when the trade was about to get done Melo would have been a Rocket by now SMH.

13. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Yeah perry looks like a Muppet.

Tfor3 likes this.
  14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that there is a bit of posturing going on about willingness to wait until during the season for both teams. I expect chatter to pick up the week before camp, but I still think the most likely scenario is mid-December or trade deadline.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

16. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Knicks would be foolish to open up camp with Melo there.

Which means Melo likely opens up camp there.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

. . . .; and holding on to Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon, two identity-stabilizing role players who were born to thrive in Mike D'Antoni's system. All are suited to complement the Rockets' star power or improve their adaptability on the defensive end—or both.

18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

It would be best if the Rockets added Melo before training camp cuz he will need time to be integrated in D'Antoni's offense.

Plus what I've heard from @The Cat on twitter and on here, most likely a trade will occur by late September

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  19. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Got a link to those tweets?/posts?