1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So question for the GARM: (since I've been out of the loop for awhile)

I've beat my head over my keyboard trying like hell to figure out good trade scenarios on 3 or 4 team deals, and this trade is truly one of the more tricky ones I've played around with.

Several weeks ago I got flamed because I didn't believe at face value that "there were teams lined up to take Ryan Anderson"... so fine. I'll believe those posters now if I have to, but I have to ask the question again now...

*Are there sources that are saying FOR SURE that X team is lined up to take back Ryan Anderson still or now at the moment, or are we still just operating under the assumption that "of course" Portland or whoever is still in line to take him back?

I'm asking because I find this trade very frustrating to contemplate without understanding the deal getting accomplished without involving Ariza, Gordon, or Capela.... which people flame me for even bringing up.

So what have the "Sauces" been telling everyone here lately because I find this deal frustrating as hell, and I still just don't see a clean way of getting this deal done without swallowing a bitter pill.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Seems like it would be more efficient to let all the junk collect in one location than having 10 threads that have to be dealt with.

3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I honestly dont think that melo will get a long term contract at numbers he likes anywhere this offseason. I think that he will opt in wherever he goes.

He will even opt in if he stays in new york which is why new york should be motivated to trade him imo

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kind of like the Jerry Lin threads and the Bigot thread in feedback for kevinisbacon, smithyretard and Str888thug (same dude by the way) to post, or like the eggball thread to contain bobbythefail

DonKnock and Killatron 2000 like this.
  5. dobro1229

I guess I just really don't understand the realistic goals of the Knicks. Yeah I get they want to be young and flexible now, but they JUST signed last year Courtney Lee to a sizable deal and Joakim Noah to a massive deal. Melo, while he's certainly not worth 30 million a year to them IMO is not the biggest fish to fry if their goals are to get flexible and young.

Melo is still a really good player, and its not like the Knicks are a truly tanking team. If I was Mills/Perry I certainly would love to move Noah, Lee, and Melo, but if I can't move Noah and Lee first, I don't really see a huge need to push Melo out the door if its not a solid deal for the Knicks. The only motivation to move Melo would be if you felt he's a detriment to Porzingas not getting the ability to shine in Melo's shadow which I don't know is that big of a deal right now as I think Melo isn't the worlds worst teamate. He's just gotta be coached to play a different role that allows Porzingas to have a bigger role.

I'm not beating up on the Melo is a Rockets for sure crowd, but I do feel its important to test out all sides of the equation you know? I think we are having a hard time truly putting ourselves in the mind of Mills/Perry here to be honest.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Doing my part

DonKnock and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Its going to be a long rebuild no matter how they play this out. I honestly dont even believe that ryan anderson slows their rebuild. He is a good locker room guy that won't be a distraction like melo would be this year.

He nakes less money and only has one more year than melo anyway. Andersons expiring will be a trade asset his last year anyway. A two team deal with just anderson/filler + a 2020 1st round pick (which could be good if our old guys get injured that year) really isnt as bad as the media and a lot of fans portray it to be.

Pacers got oladipo and sabonis for george and they coulda traded him anywhere.

If knicks just take anderson + sweetener like a 1st round pick then I think thats better for a 5 year rebuilding plan than just keeping melo.

If we get a 3rd team who wants to improve with ryno then new york can get our 1st round pick + more short term flexible crap instead of ryno.

Either way, the best most realistic outcome for them is to get ryno+ pick or short term crap+ pick.

They need to fully embrace a 5 year at least rebuild IMO

HakeemOnlyFan, DonKnock and Tfor3 like this.
  8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'm not arguing that there shouldn't be a place for a discussion about the subject, the problem I have is with the useless crap posts, page after page after page of crap with an occasional ontopic discussion post.

If this thread were cleaned of the crap, it would be 200 pages max..

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

IMO if this thread was closed, those150+ extra pages will be scattered into mulitple junk threads anyway

HakeemOnlyFan and DonKnock like this.
  10. franchise120

franchise120 Member

In one of Woj's article he actually says both NY and Hou feel they have a third lined up, HOWEVER, they needed a 4th team to unload a 'certain player'

Everybody read the tea leaves and figured that third team was Portland, and needed a 4th to dump Myers Leonard somewhere probably.

But then it came out that PDX wanted Melo or nothing...

11. Daddy Long Legs

Pistons gotta be the 3rd team after seeing this...

[​IMG]

12. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

[​IMG]

Bonus points for using Magnum Opus in a sentence correctly.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

FIFY

14. Daddy Long Legs

500 is a worthy goal friend. We will continue to break news and converse with other posters in this thread on our way to 500.

We all have plenty of melo trade ideas and thoughts considering this has dominated most of the offseason. Its time to post them.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think 500 is a worthy goal.... Of course, I would like for the melo-drama to have ended by now (with Melo in Rox uni). But , it is teaching me greater patience! ;)
    #ha2-500

16. Daddy Long Legs

We are currently at 367 so if this drags on long enough and we keep gaining then we should reach 500

#HA2-500

[​IMG]

17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Ahh, what?

Paul George was traded from Indiana for his happiness as he no longer wanted to be a Pacer. You see the beauty of not having a NTC, is the fact that team can send you where they want.

You see, Indiana didn't call his bluff and hold him ransom for another season.

Again these are obvious statements that you're choosing to blatantly ignore to try and form a narrative.

18. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

The Known 3rd team was awhile ago. I do not know of a current one mentioned, just speculation.

As far as Ariza, Gordon, and Capela: Why off limits. Let me start by saying I do not think any of them get traded.

Ariza helped bring CP3 to Houston and is the glue guy. It would be bad faith to trade one of the reasons he came away. Like bait and switch.

Gordon is a starter for most teams and has tremendous value. I do not think he will get traded, but if he did ... It would have to be for another starter or 6th man candidate. Hard to do when Gordon's contract is so cheap.

Capela is the most likely of the 3 to be included. Not saying he will be, but ... His current skills are easiest (of the 3) to replace. In another yr or 2 this might change.
    The deal will get done when the Knicks value what we are giving them, or a 3rd team, more than the complications of rebuilding with Melo on the team. Ryno for Melo is not a good trade for the Knicks. The $ is close. I agree with @The Cat that Melo should opt in next yr. Hard to pass up $24M and do not see another team offering it. Taking Ryno is like stretching Melo for an extra yr. $/yr goes down(cap room), longer term. They just don't need Ryno, they have KP.

19. Daddy Long Legs

Do you think the kyrie trade puts the pressure on knicks to make a deal more? Seems like it eliminates another favorable option to the knicks.

Also on a side note, who would you prefer from the celtics point of view: george or kyrie?

20. dobro1229

Again.. not beating you up here, just testing this thinking from their end.

Are we sure that the last year of Ryno's deal is going to be considered a tradeable future asset at the time? I don't know if I see that. Plus in 3 years we are looking at Porzingis' prime where it will be far too late to consider a full rebuild when the salary cap can then be wiped out. In two years you should actually want veterans around Zinger in the supporting role.

The only charitable explanation I can think of for a direct trade with the Knicks for Ryno would be if they are all in on Zinger now AS A CENTER and want to make the move with Ryno in mind to be complement to him now. Which goes against what they've publicly said about not wanting Anderson. Something would have had to have changed with their internal thinking.

And you are right... I don't think Ryno + a first is that bad of a deal for a higher priced Melo, but that all hinges on the Knicks wanting Anderson on their roster at all which it sounds like they don't. If they'd rather have Melo, they keep him unless you can find a third team which is where I struggle to figure this thing out.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.