1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Also......

1. Melo is OPTING IN NO MATTER WHAT

2. Lebron WONT COMMIT TO CLE

= Melo will not be a cav

2. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

For those waiting for the Rockets to sweeten the pot:

One thing Morey does well is assign a player a value and stick to it. He does not waiver. He has mentioned before that the team initiating the trade typically pays more (up to 20% more value) than the other team.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Yeah morey will only do a deal worth making. Morey sweetening the pot too much may make us get worse rather than improve in the trade.

DonKnock, Killatron 2000 and bawanyh like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's New York. Carmelo is there. Wade could sign for the minimum this year if/when he gets bought out by Bulls.

I'm just not so sure LeBron would want to go to the West.

(Unfortunately for NYK that Noah contract is just ****ing them in the ass so hard. What a terrible, terrible deal.)

Melo has said that, sure. Why would he say anything else at this point? It's not impossible that Melo changes his mind with regard to his NTC. Especially if something goes wrong here in Houston. I'm not saying that will happen; I'm just saying from the Knicks perspective it doesn't hurt to wait.

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Any opinions on cavs/celtics?

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

It's NY isn't a good reason IMO. Lebron will get his fame and money anywhere, he's the biggest star in the NBA. He wants the chance to compete for a title, and NY definitely isn't providing that. They have no cap space. They have incompetent management and 1 of the worst owners in the NBA. They're trash and have been trash for most of the last almost 20 years. I don't think they would be on Lebron's radar at all.

Lebron doesn't seem that desperate to play with Melo. If he was, then the Cavs could've traded for him easily by giving up Kevin Love. They've had the opportunity to do so for months but have refused. It's already been reported that Lebron's camp expects Wade to end up in Cleveland once he gets bought out.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

All fair points. LeBron definitely doesn't need NY's market. But, it would be nice to have, I still think. And being sold as the Savior of the Knicks might be appealing to him. I think LeBron is cognizant of his legacy and acts with that in mind all the time*.

What if Dolan went to LeBron and said "play for us and the team is yours. I'll write the checks and you do - or at least have a say in - everything else." I could see that offer being tempting to LeBron.

I just have a hard time seeing LeBron come West, and I don't think he's staying in Cleveland. So that doesn't leave many options.

*Except for those weird workout video where he's shirtless and angril rapping. I have no explanation for that.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's Official:

Potato Head has made Woj OBSOLETE

DonKnock likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL at peeps thinking that Chris Paul is moving his Son to FREAKING CLEVELAND.

No chance. Lebron is STILL outta there. No one wants to live in Cleveland, doesn't matter how good their team gets.

#7269 RudyTBag, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    DonKnock, Cash Cam, sammy and 3 others like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don't think being the savior in NY would appeal to him. He didn't even meet with them when he was a free agent in 2014. I don't think he'd meet with them next summer either. There is no saving that franchise. They are so far away from contention it's not even funny. They have no cap space to sign Lebron, and if for some crazy reason he did decide to go there and they worked out a sign and trade, well there goes NY's best asset by far in Porzingis, and they'd still have no cap space to build the team. Lebron is turning 33 in December, he doesn't have time to wait for a franchise to get their act together. He'll want to go somewhere that's already ready-made to be a contender or has a clear and quick path to contention. I don't see anything appealing about NY whatsoever if your goal is winning.

Why wouldn't he come West if he decides to leave Cleveland? A WC team could give him his best chance of actually beating GS who he's gonna have to face eventually whether he's in the East or the West. If he's in the West and manages to make the finals then who would he be facing? The Celtics? That ring count will go up if he can find a team that can beat GS, and it's far more likely that a team capable of doing that will reside in the West. By staying in the East, he'll continue to have a relatively easy ride to the finals, but he won't have a team that can beat GS so all he'll be doing is adding losses to his finals record.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

looks to me that cp3 is pretty rejuvenated and both he and his family are really embracing houston.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

"For weeks he had tried to find a way to stay, to recruit players to join him in Cleveland, so he wouldn't have to leave. Ray Allen said no. So did Chris Bosh, Trevor Ariza and Dwyane Wade. Sure, they wanted to play with him. Who wouldn't? But not in Cleveland. James was the one with a connection to the place, not them. If he wanted to win, he would have to sever those ties and go somewhere where other stars would join him."

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

In 2014 there was a 0% chance he was going anywhere other than Cleveland so the lack of a meeting doesn't influence me.

I don't think Porzingis would be a part of any SnT.

I think he'd want to avoid the West because he can't take a 15 game break midseason if he's in the West. He'd have one team to get over in the East and then he's in the Finals. Losing in the finals is always better than losing in the conference finals.

Anyway we'll see. I'm not betting my money on LeBron going to NYK. But, considering the time of year, why not throw it out there...

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not sure if you've heard of it, but there's this thing called a salary cap. Cleveland can renounce IT altogether, and they're still above the cap -- let alone anywhere near the range to offer $30M+ (not even the max) per season to CP3.

The "boat boys" care about money, as do most people. If they wanted to play together no matter what, money be damned, then it's pretty simple -- all Wade had to do this summer was not opt-in, and then he could've joined LeBron in Cleveland. Instead, Wade opted in. "24 million reasons." Chris Paul was effectively a free agent, too. He also opted for a better financial situation. Spoiler alert: Melo is going to do the same thing next summer.

If your scenario involves Chris Paul turning down $200+ million from Houston to play for the MLE in Cleveland, you need to think of a new scenario.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

It would amuse me so much if this thread got locked before it got to 500.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Do It!

17. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

give us melo and then you can lock it no problem..lol

18. rockets13champs

It'll get locked the day Melo gets traded else where or expresses he wants to remain in NY

19. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I don't think Morey will do it but Cleveland has some players with big money they can used for SNT, like offering us Love and maybe that BKN pick. You don't think that's reasonable? Especially if CP3 and JH doesn't mesh together as nicely as we all think? TT and some other assets for Melo? I mean it'll probably take a lot of maneuvering, but they have salaries to match for SNT. I'm not saying it happens but I would prefer to get this trade done with and have Melo here asap.