1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks draft pick starting to become valuable ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Dec 30, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, we don't. The Grizzlies pick is gone. Traded to Minnesota in the Motiejunas deal.

The part on which you are correct is that the 2011 Orlando pick was acquired FROM PHOENIX in the Aaron Brooks trade. The terms of the trade were that the Rockets would get Phoenix's 2011 first round pick UNLESS Phoenix was in the lottery, in which case it would revert to the pick from Orlando. I was sort of rooting for Phoenix to make a playoff push (I know, it was weird, especially when the Rockets had a slim chance themselves) so that the Rockets would get, say, the #18 pick instead of #23.

Is everybody clear now???

2. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Lol great post.

Btw their is no way the Knicks won't make the playoffs.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Sorry dude, you and rockets06 are right and I'm wrong. For some reason I only remember us sending the Phoenix pick and a 2nd to Minny.

4. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Our pick is lost if we make the playoffs. New Jersey gets it form the Terrance Williams trade.

5. crash5179

I don't think Morey or the Rockets want more than 1 first round picks next season unless it is to trade up for a higher pick. We have Motiejunas coming next season plus a 1st and a very early 2nd. Three new players on this roster might be pushing it.

6. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Why would you not want a 1st round pick? You can always Euro-store them. The only teams that don't want a late first round pick are teams in terrible financial constraints, aka NO Hornets or Sacramento Kings, and even then you can trade them for future 1st rounders, especially in this strong draft.

7. crash5179

Maybe I would prefer that pick later on down the road. I don't want to use a 1st round pick with the intent of stashing them somewhere. I think 3 first round picks (including Motiejunas) on the team next season plus a very early 2nd is excessive when you already have a roster full of very young and talented players deserving playing time.

Plus 1st rounder equals garunteed contract. I think we already have 14 players we are going to want to keep on the roster next season unless there is a trade.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Thanks. Wish they would just dis-allow the "protections" after 2 or 3 years.

Seems like the team that made the "better" trade is being retroactively punished because the other team can't get out of the lottery...

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Knicks are absolutely miserable if Melo goes down. They have no backups for him and Amare simply cannot carry a team by himself. They started last season with a 3-8 record and had a 6-11 record going into the Melo trade. And that was with Felton, Gallinari, and Chandler playing fantastic ball.

I'm not wishing injury upon anyone. I just know that he will be the key to their success.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Melo is the offense and everybody else stands in a corner. If he's injured, they're toast.

11. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Barring injury, I don't see the Knicks any worse than a 5 seed in the playoffs.

It could get interesting though if Amare tweaks a knee or Melo misses significant time.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Wow thanks. You are turning into an NBA CBA historian.

13. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Well he did fine with the Mavericks and they have worse individual defenders than the Knicks.

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

And Douglas sucks. Just sayin

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

We'll see what happens, but there's plenty of hope.

Compacted season with no breathing room and so many back to backs can really punish a team with a weak bench. The Knicks are totally dependent on Melo and Amare carrying them every night.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No one is being retroactively punished. This is simply NBA GMs learning from past mistakes of other GMs.

A trade is a trade. The two sides impose conditions, they eventually agree to a certain set of conditions, and they make their deal. It is on each GM to make sure that the conditions of a particular trade are acceptable.

For instance, in the Terrence Williams trade:

--Morey viewed T-Will to be worth risking a non-lottery pick some time between 2012 and 2016 but that it was not worth it to have to burn off any protections on that pick, instead opting to eventually give no more than a second rounder and cash if the Rockets never got out of the lottery.

--The Nets viewed a disgruntled T-Will to be worth trading in exchange for a potential mid-first rounder in a future year and that it was more likely that the Houston Rockets would make the playoffs at least once between 2012 and 2016, deeming the conversion of the obligation to a second rounder and cash to be an unlikely scenario.

Conditions imposed. Conditions agreed upon. Calculated risks taken on both sides.

17. crash5179

The Mavs are coached by Rick Carlisle. He has a history of stellar defenses in Detroit and Indy. The Knicks are coached by D'antoni who is not even aware you are allowed to play defense.

1 person likes this.
  18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

not to mention we have 14 guys on our team that are at least worth a late first rounder so... if daryle wants to move say flynn or budinger or williams for a first round pick next year I bet he can.

19. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I wonder if knicks would trade chandler for flynn and dalembert lol

20. crash5179

Why would you do that trade? You know how much of our cap would be spent on a player who is very comparable to Dally and not anywhere as close to as durable.