1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks committed to completing deal with rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 18, 2017.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just a hypothetical. If you have to include with Ryno, would you send the Knicks Capela or EGo? Don't say neither.

Edit: also think about which would be easier to replace and who we would replace with.

rfrocket likes this.
  2. RocketsFanBrian

Capela

3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yes I've seen KOQ play.
    He's a very good backup and average starter right now imo.
    He's certainly more rugged than CC but not as agile.
    And a prime Chandler or even a 3-4 years ago Chandler would be better than Clint is ATM but not today's version of Chandler imo.

jch1911 likes this.
  4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I can appreciate that... I don't think any of us want to see Clint go (except maybe holic), but I also recognize (1) he can be replaced and (2) he bout to get PPPPAAAIIIIDDDDDDDD

rfrocket likes this.
  5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Cousins is not going to happen. No way Pelicans risk winning even a little bit. They have to do everything in their power to make AD stay, Cousins give them the best shot to make it as an 8th seed.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Slow clap.

arabrocket likes this.
  7. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I have been debating that myself and for the record "neither" is my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice.
    One thing that stands out is that Clint's a FA next year.
    But I also think what he brings is not easily replaceable.
    But I also think EG will help form a 3-headed monster at guard this year and should flourish with even more pt against backups.

I'm terrible 'cause I still can't make up my mind. lol

No Chance and jch1911 like this.
  8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I know!
    And between the scarcity of good big men and the fact that his stats will probably be inflated even more this year than last with 2 great passers here I think there's a good chance someone could even offer him the max.

Probably be Cuban.

9. jch1911

jch1911 Member

IF they don't re-sign Nerlens to a multi-year deal.... and by the way the Mavs are dragging their feet Noel will probably sign QO and enter UFA next year.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hopefully this hasn't already been posted as I haven't been following the thread closely, but it is a good article that hits on a major point -- Melo is tired of being 'the guy' and wants serious talent around him as he comes to the end of his career. When he has had that talent around him he has excelled.
    _____

How a Rockets trade could unlock 'Team USA' Carmelo Anthony

Carmelo Anthony has been a No. 1 scoring option for his entire career. Possessions run through him. Plays are designed for him. The ball is in his hands late in close games.

But it doesn't have to be that way.

"If I have a chance to be the second option, I will definitely be the second option. That just takes the load off of me," Anthony told reporters in 2015. "I don't have to go out there and do it every night. All-Star players, we want that light, we want to be the focal point of our team, of our organization. But if we get somebody to come in and help us out, that's a load off of us. That's helpful."

That theory was never put to the test with the New York Knicks. Phil Jackson couldn't pair Anthony with another star. But if he gets his wish and is dealt to the Houston Rockets, Anthony would be the second or third option on a team for the first time in his 14-year career.

Can that actually work? Can Anthony, a player who has grown accustomed to dominating the ball for 14 seasons, change his ways?

The answer, which might come as a surprise to some, is that he already has. There's a formula for getting the best version of Anthony. It has been on display every four years in the Olympics. It has even emerged intermittently during his NBA career.

The method is pretty simple, actually: It involves a talented point guard, capable shooters and a rim-protecting big man. And it's reasonable to think that it can be discovered once again in Houston.

'Team USA' Melo unlocked in Houston?

The initial reaction to an Anthony-to-Houston trade might be to cast doubt on the newcomer's ability to thrive alongside ball-dominant stars in James Hardenand Chris Paul. Although he has had brief stints playing alongside other high-usage players -- Allen Iverson in Denver and Amar'e Stoudemire and Derrick Rose in New York -- Anthony is accustomed to having the ball in his hands and operating as the unquestioned No. 1 option. He has led his team in usage rate every year of his career. Last season, he used a team-high 29.1 percent of the Knicks' possessions when he was on the court.

Without even factoring in the addition of Paul, the fact that Harden posted a usage rate of 34.1 percent last season -- second in the league to MVP Russell Westbrook -- means Anthony would be hooking up with the most ball-dominant teammate of his career in Houston.

While this is uncharted NBA territory for Melo, we've seen the 33-year-old forward thrive as the second or third option several times over the course of his Team USA career. Sure, it's easy to succeed when surrounded by the game's best, but Anthony transforms into a different player with stars by his side. And that means taking a back seat.

His role as a potentially second or third scorer in Houston would be larger than it was on a stacked Olympic roster, of course, but there are some similarities that show how Anthony can be devastatingly effective when he's not a top scoring option.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20115592/nba-rockets-trade-unleash-best-version-carmelo-anthony

11. today

today Contributing Member

Where did Doc say this? I don't see any new Twitter posts or posts on this board... Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that it was a Twitter reply, not a post.

#531 today, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  12. basketballholic

While there have been internal talks for Cousins for several years including this past February and earlier this month it appears that Cousins has decided to stay in New Orleans until at least February. Yes, it was his choice. He could have and still could force his way out but he has decided not to for the time being. That may change at anytime between now and the deadline. And the Rockets have been and will continue to be a top option for him.

The other guy to watch here is Noel. Contrary to what many believe, we did pursue a trade for Noel at the deadline. And we're still interested in acquiring him right now. A sign-and-trade has been talked about and would work very nicely if Noel would agree to a contract starting at around 12-14 million.

Yes, Gordon could be involved. But if he is we'd be getting back our own Curry, or possibly a shooter from Orlando, Phx, Brooklyn, or elsewhere.

13. cebu

cebu Member

what's wrong with me, i thought i saw...

KYRIE COMMITED TO COMPLETING DEAL WITH ROCKETS.

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Haven't you learned yet pretty much everyone on CF knows you'er either fraud or just straight dumbass by posting and acting like you'er an insider. What an idiot.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  15. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

16. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Yeah thats not good...

17. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Thunder would have to give up Steven Adams or Enes Kanter. Adams contract is way worse than Ryan Anderson. And you could argue that Anderson is a better player than Kanter, who's contract is very similar to Ryan's

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lol

BigMaloe and Snow Villiers like this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is a problem. You guys better start praying to your deities, Burt Steele and Tato. The moment Carmelo opens up to OKC, NYK is going to pounce on it.

20. baubo

baubo Member

He had this opportunity in New York with Lin and D'Antoni and pretty much said no f***ing way (on a recent Lowe or Simmons podcast forgot which where they talked about how there was a divide of players wanting to play the D'Antoni way and Melo wanting to iso). The only reason I think it can work here in Houston is because of Harden and CP3 being guys he willing to defer to. But the guy definitely has never been a willing to take the load off type of guy.

All the more reason there's really nowhere to trade him to even beyond the NTC. He can only be a winner when he doesn't play his way.