1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kneejerk] Morey is Overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

And every year we're out of championship contention...

2. dmoneybangbang

He got Harden and Howard in consecutive years. It really sucks that we might be slightly worse (depending on the final roster) than last year but unfortunately the gamble didn't pay off and we lost more than we bargained for.

3. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

What are Morey's analytics on how watered-down the league is...

4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I didn't understand why the Rockets not go for Deng for a ~$10mil/per, 2-3 year deal. He would add a lot of defense, along with some offense. I think he is a better fit than either Parsons, or Ariza.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

RealGM laughing at Morey and the Rockets smh.

6. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

It's not that collecting assets is a bad option it just that it's an option that needs to be played at times and not played at times. Depending on the situation. We are arguing he misread the situation, not that his tactic is always useless.

7. errpac

errpac Member

Morey made some mistakes, Royce white, should had kept Parsons for under a mil for another yr, McHale as coach. However Morey still made a lot more right choices the wrong and I still put him as a top 3 gm in the league. I still think he's rockets most important asset.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep. There's a reason they're the only team to pull that off in the last 20 or so years -- because it's damn near impossible .

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The gamble was never letting Parsons enter free agency or even going after Bosh. Parsons signing the deal with Dallas shows as a UFA he would have most likely signed elsewhere, and he would have gotten paid. The gamble would have been to match the contract. Parsons is worth between $8-13 mil depending on who you talk to. That means you are betting between $2-7 mil a year he is a legitimate 3rd option of a championship roster, and that's before his deal sweeteners (player option and no trade). That seems like a hefty gamble to me.

10. cebu

cebu Member

Bosh is an assjole. That is the story of the off season.

11. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

"Overrated" Morey was one Bosh away from being heralded as a transaction messiah. I'm not a fan of his methodology myself, but fan opinions change as the wind blows.

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

****ing Bosh man. Changing his mind at the last minute. Rolling with the entire young crew from last year looks better in hindsight.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bosh and the Heat threw a monkey wrench in Morey's plan. He was headed to here but once the Heat made that insane offer, Bosh could resist. He probably told Morey if Lebron didn't return to Miami that he would take him up on his offer. But desperation kicked in and Pat Riley in Co. made there offer as well as told him he will be the #1 guy.

Hey can't win them all right.

He will build a good core around them.

14. steady

steady Member

I don't think there is any GM better than Morey at judging talent.

but this offseason may have revealed a Morey Achilles heel in judging people's motivations/desires.

But he is still one of the best GMs out there.

15. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Disagree. Look at JLin. First, oh! sorry I should not have let him go. Then yeah is not good enough.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Dragic, you aren't worth a player option, I WANT FLEXIBILITY to sign Trevor Ariza!

17. novaman

novaman Member

Holy Crap!! In only 3 days the Rockets roster has totally imploded.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This just..... Sucks

Just keeping this team intact would have had a top 4 team in the west. I think they are a 7/8 seed right now

19. tksense

tksense Member

Why did you have to bold paying the Lakers? On the contrary, the lakers PAID cash to buy picks from the rockets, while doing rockets a favor to free up cap space. (Lakers would love lin but not necessary as they expect to tank anyways) Lin costed rockets $5mil per for two years, and then tried to trade him for BOSH. Remember Morey didn't want to be stuck with Dragic precisely cos he wanted to go for Bosh like this year or someone in 2015.

His action had always been dictated by the idea of Chasing the Third Star. Dragic played really well, but it doesn't even seem like Phoenix value him as a star for some reason. He's not viewed as a game changer among GMs, even after last season.

I agree small tweaks around two stars would keep the team competitive, and will not risk roster implosion like now, but his directive has always been going for a championship. He or the owner are not satisfied even with constant WCF trips but ultimately missing that over the top factor.

They aim to become a Miami, entering the league as favourites, rather than Seattle sonics or Malone's jazz or all others who were always competitive but never favored win it all.

Morey came close, or that was what he felt about Bosh. That's the approach that netted him harden and howard. That taste in his mouth made it worth gambling for one last time.

I also think the deficiency in harden's game convinced him about needing a third star. Recall the beginning of the season, Morey has been quoted to say its time to build stability in the team now with major pieces set in. I just think the post-season performance proved to him that Harden-Howard were not solid enough. They're not anywhere close to contending.

I still think a better coach would have made this team appear closer to contention, hence Morey would not have whole-saled his roster just to beg another "star" to come.

20. rocketseagles07

quoted for emphasis