1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Kneejerk] Morey is Overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Mr. Space City

always next year with morey.

2. arjun

arjun Member

He swung for the fences, we could've had Dwight bosh parsons harden bev.

Didn't happen. But you can't blame him for trying.

Talent wise, our roster is at a rock bottom in the harden/howard era...it can only go in one direction.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The fact is Morey fired way too many heat checks this off season when he should have realized that he had a 20 point lead and all he really needed to do was simply let the clock run out.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is a good analogy, and why we didn't need to do all this 3rd star bull****. Those of us that called him out have been flamed for over a year now and his apologists are still making excuses.

5. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Good post. a sports team is like a business, but even to have a well-run successful business, you need to support your troops and employees so that they perform to their max for you. simply said, if you don't manage your team well, the players won't feel as motivated to play hard (or be loyal).

6. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

I agree completely here. The Captain Hindsight criticisms are stupid. You judge decisions based on how much sense they made using information available at the time.

Let's say you're making a bet. The bet is $1 and the payout is $10 in either case. You can either bet a dice roll will be 1 OR you can bet that it will be 2,3,4,5, or 6. You obviously pick the latter. Even if it ends up a 1 you made the right decision in the moment. The vast majority of Morey criticism is of this type. You pick the highest expected value action, but there's a random element and things don't always work out.

The real criticisms are of actions that were bad ideas in hindsight and bad ideas given the information at the time. Morey is just wrong on coaching. Dead wrong. So wrong that I have no clue how he can't see how wrong he is. Maybe in the regular season coaching is not worth a great deal, but it's clearly extremely important in the postseason. It's dramatically more involved. Adjustments must be made, rotations must be changed. There's a reason that Gregg Poppovich can take a team without a single top 5 player through the postseason like an unstoppable buzzsaw. And there's a reason that the mediocre ass Mavs can put up a damn good fight.

Coaching matters immensely, and McHale is hot garbage. It's amazing to me that he will upgrade constantly at every other position but refuses to do the same to the coaching staff.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

So we're still going along with this narrative that players don't like how Morey treats them even though TREVOR ARIZA JUST RE-SIGNED WITH US AFTER WE DUMPED HIM A FEW YEARS AGO?

8. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I believe in analytics and I think it's necessary to win a championship these days. But, with the new wave of analytics, as SVG so eloquently stated, it empowers the stat nerd with zero basketball experience to have brash opinions and bash anyone who may not agree with what their numbers say. I'm ok with the stat nerds who do understand that basketball isn't just a game of numbers. But, there are a ton here on this board who live, swear, and die by Morey because it gives them a chance to live in the jock lifestyle that they never had. Geeks UNITE! I sound really horrible right now.

9. Mr. Space City

and mchale is still the head coach

[​IMG]

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Arguably for less than he could have gotten elsewhere...

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly. Definitely kneejerk thread.

12. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Man for some reason I love this post, lmbo... True words

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I have always defended Morey before, but there needs to be an accounting for the huge eff-ups this offseason. I'm not saying he should be fired, but he should be on warning from Les Alexander.

Two huge mistakes were made:

1) Declining Parsons' team option and consequently losing him for nothing. This was an unacceptable gamble and backfired massively.

2) Trading away Asik and Lin before having 100% assurances of signing a major free agent to replace their cap holds. We went from having a mediocre bench to now having no bench whatsoever and apparently no plans to add major players to replace the ones we lost. Asik and Lin could have been traded at the trade deadline as expiring contracts for actual pieces to help us win a title--instead we essentially got nothing for them.

These are BRUTAL mistakes and comprise seriously some of the biggest missteps I've seen from a title contending team.

And let's not forget we could have had all star caliber Dragic instead of Lin, who we had to pay the Lakers to take off our hands.

I will credit Morey for getting us two superstars without suffering a losing season, but have HAVE to do a better job of building around them.

And this star-chasing is insufferable. If we had just made smart smallball moves to improve the way most contenders do would be in SO much better of a position right now.

14. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

The only reason I am not CONFIDENT with firing Morey are:

1) What if the Chandler decision was because of Les like it was for Lin?

2) Who would we get to replace him that would be better?

But this off season and bringing McHale back...smh...

Him and Les are on my DODO list right now.

15. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

His belief in McHale is Morey's biggest failure and waste of talent (the roster). That's more a product of the old boy network (Celtics/Minny/Rockets axis and McHale's HOF player status) than anything having to do with McHale's coaching ability.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I have always maintained that Morey is a great GM but his biggest mistake to date was hiring the useless, incompetent embarassmnet joke of a coach in McHale and then not firing him immediately and persisting with this hack

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I think he may be too smart for his own good. RC Buford came up with the game and seems to have a better feel for what will and will not work as far as players go.

18. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

I thought I was the only one on this forum who thinks that morey is overpriced

19. NotChandlerParsons

Look on the bright side guys. Maybe McHale will get fired next offseason.

20. HCA

HCA Member

Let the man learn from his mistakes. Never listen to fans. He had it right. Assets, not feelings.