1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knee replacement surgery tomorrow

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 4, 2017.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What happened?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

ugh, that sounds painful. I'm sure the other guy is worse off, unless you were breaking broncos or bullriding.

sorry to hear you might need surgery. Don't forget to time things so you can still watch the playoffs at home, on HD, on cfnet. We will need you.

Roc Paint likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Got in a bullfight and lost.

Working in the pens with the animals, bull got excited, 1800lb bull "nudged" the cow, 1400lb cow hit me, I hit iron pipe...

4. KingCheetah

Are you Dr. Pol?

5. Buck Turgidson

**** no, he has more helpers than I do.

eta: I do not recommend breaking ribs. The really fun part is when you cough or sneeze.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two years out in hindsight I'd say make sure you really need it. My knee is perfectly mechanically sound but the impact on the surrounding muscles and bursae has been a bit of an ongoing annoyance. Had mine done in June with an eye to getting back to work in late August; in reality I did not really feel 90 percent until about November, so a good 5-6 months of recovery. Other people I did rehab with had a much easier time, though--folks recover at different rates. I was never the most flexible person in the world, and doing the PT was mostly about me getting back to a decently level of flexibility for the knee, something I still work on. For me I think the need to constantly stretch my quads and hamstrings will never go away. If you have a decent exercise bike or a real bike on a trainer that would be a good thing to have.

The good news is that it is such a common surgery now that any competent orthopedic surgeon should be able to do the job. One thing you might do in shopping around for a doctor is check first with the local PT folks ahead of time about what they see in respective doctors' patients. My therapist had lots of good things to say about my particular doctor, and compared my rehab with other doctors' patients who had a more difficult time of it.

The other good news is that the pain is completely gone. I could have dealt with it indefinitely with cortisone shots, and I will probably do that for a longer period of time with the second knee when it comes to it, but I now have zero pain. What I have is occasional discomfort (usually after activity, yard work, standing for long periods of time) from the swelling/edema that remains on the outside of my knee. Some days it just feels "tight." When I go back for my 2-year checkup that's one of the things I intend to ask about.

holler with questions. Sorry to hear about your ribs, broke one of mine playing hoops as a 13-year old. That was no fun.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m thinking about planning a 20th anniversary pick up game on clutch fans, what do you guys think?

8. Roc Paint

In all seriousness, I’m sorry to hear about the health concerns of my brothers here.

Get Well Soon ClutchFans!

jcf likes this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just curious because I will need replacement at some point...how old were you when you had it done? I'm 43 now but nearly 40 years of soccer means my left knee is bone on bone. I have no meniscus left to repair. I've had cortisone shots and I'm relatively pain free right now. It's more of just the annoyance of the grinding and popping. When I ruptured my achilles nearly 2 years ago, I lost a lot of muscle in my left and it's been hard to build back while remaining careful about my knee.

My dad had his right knee replaced a few years ago. He's supposed to do his left but he's not going to do it. He's not an active or physically fit person so the rehab was difficult for him. I feel like that we're not that far off from this becoming an outpatient surgery with minimal downtime. At some point, you have to figure, they're going to perfect this surgery for professional athletes that could continue a career after having it done. I'll wait until then. I didn't plan to have it done before 50 anyway.

10. KingCheetah

11. Roc Paint

It was just a thought

12. KingCheetah

In all seriousness?

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I was 55 at the time. There's two schools of thought about timing: one is do it while you're young and strong enough to do the rehab. Also twenty years ago the durability of the replacement joints was on the order of 10-12 years, so the would advise putting it off until you were so old you probably wouldn't need to do it a second time. Now the joints are predicted to last 30 or more years which makes it more practical for folks in their 40s to have it done.

Don't know if it will ever really be outpatient, the trauma to the muscles they have to push to the side to access the knee joint is pretty severe. But you're right that the surgery will get better and better as time goes on.

leroy likes this.
  14. Roc Paint

I have this strange suspicion you’re about to call me Shirley

15. Buck Turgidson

Yep. All this, except 44 and football/basketball. Never hurt myself playing soccer other than a broken nose. Shoulda stuck to that and baseball.

leroy likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

piece of advice. I would go ahead and watch several knee replacement videos on youtube if you're thinking about doing this (unless you're just 100% squeamish that is). The benefit is that after the first or second video you will have a really good sense of how standard the procedures are. Plus it will help if you actually have questions to ask of the surgeon or a P.A. down the line.

17. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Buck, sorry to hear about your accident. I've become acutely aware how easy it is to become injured as I get older. We also don't bounce back from injuries like we used to. It's something that really takes getting used to. The good thing is that I can always tell when the weather is going to change.

That being said, after my knee surgery on my torn meniscus two years ago, my orthopedic surgeon told me "See you in 20 years for your knee replacement." How's that for bedside manner.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

good marketing :cool:

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Did you go to an ortho in Round Rock because that's exactly what I was told? The arthritis was so evident that he said he'd do it then if I were older (I was 37 at the time). IIRC, his exact words were, "You have the knee of a 70-yr old, 400 lb woman." Granted, that's how it feels often and I'm not entirely looking forward to the future I can easily predict...but it was still a shock to hear it.

20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I had my surgery in the RGV. Every time I feel that familar pain in my knee, I think back to his words. I'm just so sick of being out of action, I can't even fathom going in for another surgery any time soon.