1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Klay Thompson 4 yrs $70M

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

we mean dribbling the ball and beating someone, not driving by a matador that even harden at his absolute worst would be proud of.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Go around the ancient Steve Blake is pretty worthless. Can the Warriors run their offense through Klay Thompson when Curry is on the bench? Can he abuse defenders that aren't slow as molasses? On a consistent basis, can he attack the rim, draw the defense and kick to an open man? Can he go to the rack, draw fouls and get to the line when the Warriors must have a basket?

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Klay isnt a beat you off the dribble kind of guy. He is more of coming off the screen and shooting or coming off the screen and attacking the basket kind of guy.

Curry, otoh, can do what Klay can do and ALSO can beat his man off the dribble and is a better playmaker.

Because Curry can do all that, Warriors can afford Klay not being excellent in those areas. If he improves in those areas, its just extra gravy for them.

Klay's skill sets are very similar to Reggie Miller's. Miller wasnt exactly known for his handles and beating his man off the dribble but he had a fine career.

4. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Klay is more like Allan Houston than Reggie Miller at this point. Allan Houston was a 2 time all star before injuries forced him to retire after just signing a six year $100 million contract, but not a hall of famer or someone generally considered a super star like Reggie.

5. VanityHalfBlack

Still waiting on that apology clutchfans, oh yeah, he was thinking about you guys too:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tO9BOMuV7kM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely a product of the coming increase, and an overhyped player...albeit a guy that's going to be a very good player for a long time....and on a team that made their decision not to move him for Love..the Warriors are pot committed to this kid...decision made. As bad as it looks now, Thompson might appear to handcuff them either more. But this is a "safe" signing.......and in the future might appear much better than it does now.

7. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I would rather have Klay Thompson than James Harden. He's going to be as good or better of a scorer, and he plays defense. Plus, he's not ball dominant.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Didn't take long for the Klay Thompson hype-train to go off the rails.

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I think a lot of peoples opinion on here come from how a guy looks and not actually watching games. Thompson plays both sides well so that make him unique. He does look like an A1 p**sy so I think people go by that but he is ridiculous from 3 and plays D. He doesn't go to the hole enough and settles for outside shots and that would be my major concern with him being a star player on a team.

10. VanityHalfBlack

What do you mean sir?

11. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Why does it matter that Harden is ball-dominant? That's a good thing for this team. Who the hell else is going to handle the ball?

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

8 AM is too early to be this drunk. Take it easy, man.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Great player, but let's see him do it for more than 3 games, no?

I see guys saying Thompson > Harden, despite handling maybe 1/2 of the offensive load for his team compared to what Harden does. He's not even the primary focus of defenses, really, with Curry out there, though that's part of why he's a great fit for the Warriors, because he can get consistent looks because Curry is drawing so much attention from him.

I'm just saying let's pump the brakes.

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

This is another classic "just wait til the cap kicks up" contract. We're due for a lot more of them in the next year. It's functionally insane money by the valuation system most of us are used to, but I think by the end of the extension it will look, while not a good deal, a perfectly tolerable deal because the entire league will take a 25%+ raise by then.

15. VanityHalfBlack

I'm with you. He's not better than Harden since Harden is a top 5 player in the NBA. But my god, Klay is ballin right now, 3 games in and I am definitely jumping on the bandwagon a little too quick.

16. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Incumbent team can offer 7.5 percent year over year raises, others can offer 4. Hayward signed his offer with Charlotte and Utah matched, klay was extended. That's where most of the difference comes from

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I want what this guy's having.

18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

With all due respect, I have to co-sign this statement. :p

Or someone please pass it this way. Goodness gracious.

19. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

He may be ballin but he ain't top 10 in the league. That comment you made earlier is absurd. Klay is a borderline all star caliber player. Nothing more nothing less.

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

if he can avg 20 pts a game, then the answer is yes to all those stupid Q's