1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KJ McDaniels signs one year deal as a 2nd round pick (Parsons effect)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cyberx, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree completely. A lot of second rounders never amount to anything in the NBA. Parsons contract was perfectly fair for everyone involved. And I would say that things worked out pretty good for Parsons.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if he gets little pt buried at the end of the bench or in d-league then he'll be screwed next summer……it might even be a no-win situation considering the better he might play, the more hinkie might want him off the floor (nothing is more important than tanking)

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

No worst, comes to worst, he gets injured or has a bad year, or doesn't get enough PT to showcase his skills and is forced to play in Europe. It's most certainly a risk, a pretty sig one, imo.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good info. Thanks.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What happens at the end of 1 year? I imagine he becomes a UFA?

If so, what does Philly do with KJ this year? Look to trade him ASAP? He's a useless asset for them if he can walk away at the end of the year, and they can just invest the playing into Jerami Grant instead.

6. baubo

baubo Member

I think he overestimates how much of a market there will be for him next year, even if he does play a bit and do decent stuff on the court. Troy Daniels last year was balling for the Rockets even in the playoffs, has a skillset (3 point shooting) that's incredibly valued around the league, and STILL only got a near-minimum deal with 2 years guarantee.

The most likely case with any rookie 2nd round pick for a Morey/Morey-disciple is a trip to the DLeague. That's not going to draw a ton of interest around.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

McDaniels will become a RESTRICTED free agent next summer, as long as Philly offers him a qualifying offer equal to the one-year veteran's minimum salary plus $200,000. Even if K.J. can't find a better offer from another team, he could still accept the qualifying offer and at least get an extra $200k above league minimum in the process.

8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

you can believe in yourself but have a little more security in case it doesn't work out. earning $500k+ for a few years isn't like you're not getting paid. if you do good, you'll get paid fat after the contract ala Parsons. If you don't do good, well at least you had 3 or 4 years of $500k+ instead of 1 year. my opinion anyways

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

How much is he going to make overseas?

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ah ok - so no biggie for Philly then.

McDaniels pretty well puts the risk on himself to perform then? If he gets injured, he might be left with nothing. I expect to see him competing fairly hard!

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/philad...s-bold-approach-to-rookie-deal-143327281.html

McDaniels' agent is Mark Bartelstein. Bartelstein was Chandler Parsons' agent when he was drafted and signed a 4 year deal. Parsons later fired him to go with Dan Fegan. Seems that Bartelstein learned his lesson.

The thing is, an agent's percentage on those initial contracts for 2nd round picks, even with the first two seasons guaranteed, isn't very much. Given a large client base, it makes sense for the agent to gamble on the one year non-guaranteed deal since the agent should win enough of these gambles to cover those who don't work out. This is true especially considering that with a longer lead time to the second contract, an agent risks getting fired before his client gets paid and he gets the bigger payday.

Whether it makes sense for a player depends on his own situation. The initial guarantee of 2 years and maybe $1.5M could be a huge deal for some players, especially ones who are improverished. However, a player from a middle-class family or a very well off family (ike Glenn Robinson) can afford to be more risk taking.

These 4 year deals are really not that onerous compared to what late 1st rounders get on the rookie scale. But 2nd round picks have the choice and are reasonable in choosing to their own contract. The thing seems a bit contradictory though and I expect there be an amendment to the draft salary scale if more players choose to go this way.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

13. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

KJ's gamble taking the one year deal looks like its gonna pay off. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out in the summer.

14. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I'm eager to see how many guys will follow suit in this upcoming class.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know he is a rookie, but he isn't really putting up great numbers. Am I missing something?

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He is supposedly good on defense, I think, but his numbers do suck. He made 350K less than Parson's first year. His new contract will be very interesting.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i like him a lot. he can hit the 3, play d, and is probably the best sg at blocking shots in the league next to danny green. if he can improve his 3 point shot he would be worth starting as a 3 and D guy.

what's interesting to me about this is that the teams fought for shorter contracts (remember those 7 year deals?) in order to get out of paying guys who were rapidly declining. now it looks like the players want shorter rookie contracts so they can get to earning big money sooner.

i do think 4 years is a long time to be on a "rookie" contract. most guys prove themselves by the 3rd season. i think trimming it down to 2 years and a team option for a 3rd is fair.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I think you only sign a contract like KJ's if you are signing with a team like Philly, where you KNOW you'll get very solid PT.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The good second rounders need to all sign 1 year deals and the elite lotto players need to skip college and play overseas.

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member