1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

kings sign salmons, let bonzi walk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Matt78777, Jul 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Bonzi will definitely have to take a paycut, no one can afford to pay him what he wants. At this point, I'm wondering who can even afford to pay him more than the MLE. Maybe he takes a one year contract to up his value and wait for a better market? A great place to do that would be houston...

2. anitasri

anitasri Member

I wish we can get him- boy that would change a lot of things! I will live with the weakness at PF. Maybe we sign a 2 year deal and re-negotiate in good faith for the longer term- not sure if this can even happen- but that would just be so right for this time- finally a legitimate SG.

My guess is it will NOT happen! And I want to be so wrong on this one!

3. compucomp

compucomp Member

The longer Bonzi goes unsigned, the higher the chance he will accept lesser money. So the hope is that nobody pays Bonzi the inflated salary he wants.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We have only the TE and about half of the MLE and no trading assets to get Bonzi.

5. Laozi

Laozi Member

My guess is he'll end up in Detroit now although I wouldn't count out Indiana, I think he'd actually be a better rebounder and scorer then Harrington.

I wouldn't expect Sac to accommodate any moves within the western conference unless they're too good to be true.

6. Matt78777

unless he pulls a sprewell and retires. This coudl indirectly benefit us too. Maybe a team trades a player to us for the TE so they can free up cap room and sign bonzi. That also would be cool.

If bonzi doesn't play for us, where do you guys think he'd fit? I'm thinking Denver, they desperately need a 2... but then again he might be the best person to add to a team that already has melo and martin who whine or get in trouble.

7. goyao11

goyao11 Member

is bonzi a good defender? i kno hes a good scorer and rebounder, but can he D? or shoot the three?

8. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Bonzi Wells is the one free agent out there that can help this team remain competive even if Tracy McGrady were to go down. Wells would take so much pressure off the shoulders of McGrady, as the Rockets could rest McGrady for large period of time with the addition of Wells. Wells is probably not going to accept a MLE so a sign and trade would be needed to acquire him. the question is if the Kings have the pieces to entice the Kings....

9. Matt78777

im not sure if the kings can entice the kings, but maybe the rockets do... couldn't resist making fun of the typo ;)

Looking at bonzi's stats, im a little less optimistic because not only is he a hothead, but he's missed a ton of games. He only played 52 last season and 69 the season before that. He would take the pressure off as long as he's healthy. Imagine what a blow that would be to the fans psyche if wells and tmac went down for long stretches. If we do sign him and he is healthy i think we are contenders, but those are giant ifs... but this board is the place to dream right?

10. Laozi

Laozi Member

Bonzi does his best work when posting up smaller wings, if you don't think Howard and Yao work well together Bonzi does about the same thing just from the 2/3.

11. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Bonzi Wells is a contract year player. Signing him would be great for this team but don't be surprised to see him lose some of that "heart" or drop off statistically much like Dampier did after he signed with Dallas.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sign and trade using our 4.2 million TE?

DD

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

We'd have to throw in Luther Head at the very least.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I love Luther but I would give him up for Bonzi at the TE

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

If we have had our MLE, we may have a chance, although very slim.

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I don't see why Denver wouldn't snatch him right up, or Orlando, or really several teams.

17. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

someone explain to me why Salmons is worth the full MLE? his numbers arn't great, his usage numbers arn't great.

I just dont see why they arn't getting ripped for overpaying. They are paying more than he was offered in Toronto.

18. superden

superden Contributing Member

So is Ron Ron going to kill Bonzi now? Not his fault for leaving right?

19. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Looks like Salmons is smarter than I gave him credit for in that other thread. Now he gets to stay in the good ol' US of A and still make his money.

20. blackistan

blackistan Member

I wish somehow we can get Bonzi that will make us a force to reckon with in the west and it will make our offseason a success