1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kings fan living in Houston - Questions about the WC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Joel, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Joel

Joel Member

Hello all,

I'm a Kings fan living in the Houston area (Clear Lake). I moved here three years ago from Sacramento, so please don't jump on me for being bandwagon. I've loved the Kings since the days of Bobby Hurley, Pervis Ellison, etc.

Anyhow, I wanted to find out what fans on the outside of the West's title contenders thought about the chances of the Kings this year? Rockets fans would be the obvious choice to ask as they have more familiarity with the two other teams I consider western powers - the Spurs and the Mavs.

Do you think the Kings have the right combination of depth and experience to win it all?

Do they have the defense to stop Dallas in a series?

Do they have the offense to stand up to the Spurs in a best of seven?

--------

In addition to these questions, I'd like to extend an open invite to any NBA fan. Come take a look at KingsTalk.com. It's a site/message board that I run which supports the Kings, but is open to all NBA fans. We have a good group of members there, but are always looking for new blood to interject a good outside opinion.

Thanks!

2. University Blue

Sacramento and Brick Saddleman (hee-haw!) guaranteed themselves years of early summer vacations the day they traded Jason Williams.

University (Boi of Summer) Blue

3. Joel

Joel Member

I fail how to see how trading a erratic, me first, flashy point guard for a clutch, team playing point who is fundamentally sound hurts us in the post season. Perhaps, you could go into a little more detail.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The only thing Jason Williams is good for is an And1 tape.

I think Sac has an excellent chance.

Spurs are a one man team. Webber might not be good as Duncan, but he is definitely not far behind. As long as Sac doesn't let God (aka Phony Parker) run circles around Mike Bibby (another overrated as hell PG) they should do fine. Containing SA outside shooters would be a must and Sac should be able to do that. SA wont be able to handle the billion different ways Sac can score in a seven game series.

Dallas? You are kidding right? They are nothing but a bunch of softies. They would lose to a team of huggies bear in a playoff series. No defense whatsoever. A zone defense is not going to work in the playoffs. Not even in the first round anymore.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Do you think the Kings have the right combination of depth and experience to win it all?

Yes, I think they have been through all the situations to be on top. Hell, they shouldve won it last year.

Do they have the defense to stop Dallas in a series?

Of course. Dallas isnt really much of a threat. If they are shooting lights out, you cant really do anything about it, believe me, I was at that game where they were annihilated by the Mavs by the 3 point barage in the 3rd quarter.

Do they have the offense to stand up to the Spurs in a best of seven?

Depends, after hearing yesterday's game I don't know what to think. But in a seven game series, I think the Kings can beat them, but it will be tough.

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Hey Joel, welcome to CC.net! :) I said it at the beginning of the season that I thought that Sacramento would win the NBA championship, and that was before the acquisition of Jimmy Jackson and before Bobby Jackson started having an All-Star season. When the Kings are at their best they're the best team in the league, it's just a matter of mental toughness. The Kings seem tougher this year, and if they're mentally tough they'll win. I know people disagree but the Kings are a better team then the Lakers, and the Lakers can't beat Sacramento when the Kings are on their game. I think that Sacramento is the deepest or close to the deepest team in the league, the offense is awesome, and when Pollard is healthy they have a good collection of big men in the paint. I don't think Dallas is in Sacramento's league, the Kings would pound them in 4 or 5 games, the Spurs are the biggest challenge, they're the only team that potentially could stop a Kings team playing their best ball. The Spurs are also a great road team, I don't know their road record but on this last road trip they have played well so I think they can win in another team's building. In the end the only thing that can keep the Kings from winning a championship are two things: 1.) A red hot Spurs team, and 2.)Themselves.

7. Joel

Joel Member

My opinion on Dallas is pretty much the same as the general feeling around here. Extremely soft, especially in the middle.

With that said, they are still very dangerous offensviely. I don't worry about them much though as their defense will never be able to hold up over seven games.

Thanks for the opinions guys - keep them coming.

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

If we meet Dallas in the first round, we'll take them out for you.

:)

IMO, Dallas is just not as good as the Spurs, Kings, or Lakers. All of these teams have good, proven big men, good defensive schemes, and good support for their big men. Dirk is 7'0, but is more like Kobe than he is Shaq. Nash is great at pushing the ball off of turnovers, but I don't think the Spurs or Kings have too many turnovers. Which may be why Dallas struggles against these two teams.

9. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Well.....all 4 teams are good. They are just good.

Kings can win it. But Spurs can win it too.

Spurs have beat the Kings 3 times.

Both have beat the Mavs a couple of times.

Sorry.....but Mike Bibby is overrated.

PEJA STOJAKOVIC IS THE MAN THOUGH.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If the Kings can get past the Lakers, they will take it. They should have beaten them last year, but got screwed...so I see them having no problem.(If the Rockets don't make it in of course ;) ).

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes, last year's WC finals showed it.

Does Dallas have the defense to stop the Kings in a series? ;)

The Spurs lacking killer instinct will be their greatest downfall. Kings also have more 'intangibles' than the Spurs such as great passing in many key positions, better depth, and a better arena.

Do I think they'll win it all? Well, I live in Southern California, and I haven't seen you guys win anything yet... :)

12. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Man......Kings have whooped the Mavs already this year a few times. They can beat the Mavs.

Now...against the Lakers.

That will be interesting.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will be pretty surprised if the Kings don't win the championship this season. They have the perfect combination of good defensive players, outside shooting and passers. Their bench is as deep as they come (assuming everyone gets healthy) and their coach generally makes good decisions. I don't think Dallas has the defense or the inside game to win the championship, and I don't see any other teams giving them a real run for their money.

EDIT: I just wanted to point out that Mike Bibby is one of the most clutch players in the NBA. Now that the Kings know that (after last season's playoffs), they have their go-to man down the stretch. Now Chris Webber is off the hook.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

hey Joel - I've been a So Cal rocks fan for almost a decade now, But I live with the Kings and Lakers, and let me just say that I'll be rooting for the boys in Royal Purple if the Rocks aren't in contention.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Joel, the championship is in the bag.

Congrats.

16. carayip

carayip Member

Kings should, must and need to win it all this year or they might go the same route as Portland of a few years ago. That's hell of pressure. Lakers still have chance IMO.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I would bet against Sac winning it all. Something about their mentality that doesn't make me think "champion".

Their best hope is to avoid playing LA at any cost. If Sac can do that, then they win it all.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

As a fan of basketball you have to want them to play LA. Come on you have to see LA go down.:mad:

I can still remeber me hitting the floor several times when Horry hit that 3 pointer at the buzzer last year.:mad: :mad:

Screw LA. Lakers suck.

19. Joel

Joel Member

You'd have to believe that the Kings and Lakers will meet sometime during the playoffs. I'm not overly concerned with the Lakers this year. The Spurs are the team I wouldn't want to see in a long series. IMHO Tony Parker is still too young to lead a team to the finals.

20. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

As much as I don't really like the Spurs, after their last performance against the Kings, I don't think the Kings can get by the Spurs. The Spurs are on a roll, and it may continue on into the playoffs, if it does they have a good chance to do some damage but hopefully it'll end before the playoffs commence.