1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

kimbo slice dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Angkor Wat, Jun 6, 2016.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

RIP. Used to love watching his backyard fight videos on YouTube.

It was like watching dog fights but without the animal cruelty

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Kimbo was around before youtube - like you had to download .avi files off kazaa or whatever.

What a time to be alive.

1 person likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I used to think I was so damn computer savvy for using Kazaa and Bearshare. Who knows how much insane spyware and adware I accidentally put on my parents' computers.

What a time, indeed.

4. dragician

dragician Member

when fighting is how you make a living, 42 is not bad at all.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, it matters. Of course it matters.

6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

[​IMG]

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What's so different about getting well known on YouTube... Versus getting well known on some outdoor basketball court in Philly?

At the end of the day, he had millions and millions of supporters and followers. His loss isn't any more or less significant had he gained his followers in some boxing gym in Florida.

8. CometsWin

What's so different from playing basketball on YouTube and beating people up in parking lots and back yards with people screaming, yelling, and placing bets on YouTube? Well, in one, there are kids mimicking some guy playing basketball and in the other there are kids beating each other up in backyards and parking lots. No, it's not the same.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP to Kimbo Slice.

An entertaining fighter who helped to popularize MMA.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He was awaiting a heart transplant. Died of heart failure.

Started feeling weird while in Europe in March. Then got worse and was admitted to hospital on Friday complaining of "severe abdominal pain, shortness of breath and nausea." Friends thought he was OK when they visited him. He said he felt better, even. While still in ICU, things turned worse on Monday and he stopped breathing.

Sad

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/16028501/kimbo-slice-had-awaiting-heart-transplant

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Everyone thought he was going to be a complete punk, but he totally surprised a lot of people once they got to hear him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZOs6NTWtT58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. rezdawg

I think you missed the point.

His popularity is what Im referring to...I dont care if he beat people up in a backyard as opposed to someone who does it more "legitimately" in an octagon.

Dont bring your moral compass into the discussion...all we're talking about is his popularity and his celebrity, which doesnt matter where it comes from...bottom line, he was a very well known figure that went from absolutely zero, to a situation where he was able to provide a lot for his family. And he left too soon. That's all there is to it.

EDIT: I suggest you watch the video above...I sense that you're ignorant on the topic.

#52 rezdawg, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

From what I remember watching The Ultimate Fighter season he was in, he seemed like a nice dude, humble, decent guy. Not at all the punk people might expect.

RIP Kimbo :(

14. CometsWin

I didn't miss the point. You think it doesn't matter how someone becomes famous because "he got kids". It's tragic that a family has lost a loved one but let's not get it twisted.

Don't bring my moral compass into the discussion? I'm going to detach my morality right now... to discuss a guy that started a disgusting and dangerous trend among children and young men alike. An athlete that died of heart failure at 42 years of age. What? Seriously?

You sense that I'm ignorant on Kimbo Slice videos? I'm going to faint now.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Geez, have some respect for the dead. Stop arguing and settle it by street fighting in your backyard.

16. CometsWin

We need you to bring the drugs/liquor, place the bets, and hold the money.

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Violence has existed as long as mankind has. There were backyard fights long before Kimbo came around. You have a disgust for Fight Club? MMA organizations?

18. rezdawg

Yes, Kimbo Slice is the reason people fight...he's brought so much violence into our serene world. :rolleyes:

And no, Im not saying you're ignorant about his videos...but you clearly overstate how much violence he brought to the table...and you clearly do not know the positive impact he had, as well. You're ignorant on his story.

I personally maybe watched a few of his videos on YouTube when they first came out and I have never watched him fight in the MMA. However, I have read up on him because he literally came from nothing and made himself into something...and for that, I respect him. Plus, he passed away and left behind a large family, so I dont need to come around in here and act like a hard ass.

19. Buck Turgidson

Didn't he really want bread at some point? Did he ever get it?

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I guess he was probably on roids most of his life or something and that's probably why his heart gave out. It's too bad to hear because he was a decent enough guy and he did a lot to promote MMA.

And I just realized I'm 36 and I need to start getting regular physicals and check ups.