1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[KILT] McGrady Learning "a LOT" in Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 4, 2004.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Come on now. You're just mad that TMac is getting love and Francis is not.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

ditto. These little quotes are cute and all, but we've had the king of preseason hype(Francis) who failed to produce in the regular season like he did the preseason articles. Show me, don't tell me.

Not saying it's not interesting to read or anything, but right now it is similar to Cato's leading the league in rebounding talk.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

pgabriel, everyone knows that you were/are an unabashed steve francis suppourter. That's ok. Steve did say that he learned alot from Van Gundy, and I think most of his play last year showed it. Steve also got frustrated from certain things that VanGundy did and I believe that T-Mac will too. Bottom line is that I believe that Vg is teaching a hell of a lot to T-Mac and that he could use the work on defense. I appreciate knowing that he is acknowledging the lesson.

(on a side note, I do agree that it is somewhat of a dog and pony show and we won't know for sure until we see the results.)

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I was flipping through the local sports sundays last night waiting to hear some news from Rockets training camp and although I knew the Astros and Texans would be the big story makers I was suprised to not hear even a snippet about the Rockets from any of our local sports guys. I understand that there will not be many media guys covering the Rockets with the miracle resurgence of the Houston Astros so any little bit of info coming out of camp we can get should be posted and is apperciated.

5. DavidS

HillBoy,

I was actually glad that we're not hearing Les say "the best team ever assembled" anymore. I think for the most part, the Rockets organization is keeping their "delusions of grander" to a minimum. But at the same time, it's natural for us fans to get excited about a new player (top five), plus an improved Yao. So, all in all, I think the PR machine really isn't over doing it. Not like it did a couple years ago.

Most are just interested on how the team will look on the court together; chemistry, passing, FG%, fast-breaks, defense, etc....what will it look like?! :eek: It's like waiting to open presents on Christmas morning! What's inside?! Rip, tear.... :eek: :D

#45 DavidS, Oct 4, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  6. DavidS

Let say that the season starts and we end up 3-3 after six games. Huh? Will you say, "See, it's not working. And you guys were all excited."

Now coming from you, I would expect that. But guess what? I'll will still be excited because I know that chemistry takes time to build. And the "happy comments from Tmac" are all justified. We have him! And he'll have many games to prove to you how good he is. Regardless if he says "happy things" or "unhappy things."

Put it this way, we all know that all that matters is results on the court. But let him talk to the media and say what he wants (microphone in the face; he's expected to say something. Let him.).

#46 DavidS, Oct 4, 2004
  7. DavidS

:mad:

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like reading it, as someone that lives out of town it is nice to read what the players are saying.

If you don't like reading it.....then don't.

DD

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah what DaDakota said.

Being out of town, I don't get the news you guys get. I don't get any interviews of TMac or Yao or any other Rockets for the most part. This stuff is great reading in an off-season.

10. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

11. DavidS

[​IMG]

Yep!

#51 DavidS, Oct 4, 2004
  12. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

pgab - most people on this board know that you were *disappointed* when Steve was traded, and it shows in your comments in this thread. I don't recall your questioning the sincerity of Steve's many training camp fodder media bs remarks.

To TMac's actual quote. Recall one the first quotes out of camp last year was Taylor's incredulous reaction to Van Grumpy when JVG moved Taylor's foot an inch or so to get the in correct defensive position.

I don't doubt the possibility that TMac is learning alot. I also agree with your assessment that they have to prove it on the court. Just don't hold it against TMac that Steve was traded.

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

You know what's the funniest thing? This thread wouldn't have even been anything if pgabriel didn't make that comment. It would have been a 10 reply thread sprinkled with comments about how excited people are that the season is starting. It would have been just another tidbit from camp, in a sea of other little bits.

But instead, people jump on pgabriel and he counters back with some stuff, which other people respond to, and then suddenly the thread cracks two pages and becomes the thread of the day. So ultimately what ends up happening is exactly what pgabriel was complaining about in the first place, attention being drawn to a quote that he didn't feel deserved any attention in the first place.

Self fulfilling prophecies. Aren't they just a bit**.

14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

pgabriel, agree with your right to express your opinion, makes for an interesting thread. But I if you had a choice of:
    a - T-Mac saying nothing and just blending in.
    b - T-Mac saying he wants more money and a contract extension.
    c - T-Mac saying negative things about his team.
    d - T-Mac saying the positive things about the team and coach.

What would you choose. My answer is D.

15. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I'll take any piece of info on the Rockets I can get.

16. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

Did anyone else hear the quote from Yao about the first few scrimmages?

I think he pretty much said that everyone was missing open shots. He said that the sets were working and there were plenty of open jumpers, but that nobody could put the ball in the basket. I'm assuming he was saying that most of the team was pretty rusty.

BTW his quote was in english and was relatively easy to understand, even on the radio.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Jeff keep posting man, Im an out of towner and I love rocket news good or bad.

18. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

yeah iagree. i predict mcgrady is gonna be on someone else's team by 2006.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know why every is jumping on pgab over this, except that people like to jump all over pgab. He's not saying don't post; he's not saying T-Mac should shut up; he's just warning you that positive preseason vibes don't always translate to the regular season. What's the big deal in that? It's true.

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.