1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[KILT] McGrady Learning "a LOT" in Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 4, 2004.

1. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

He has got about $100 million reasons and he wants to get that extension signed before his back flares up again.

2. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Contributing Member

Oh please. I'll take Tmac with a crooked back, one armed and one legged over that p***y cry baby you guys just gave the max to any day.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah but this is the time of the year that the Rockets PR machive starts blowing smoke up our collective asses. I'm taking the same position I took at the beginning of last season: Until I see them do it ON the court, I'll refrain from drinking the Rockets red koolaid - no matter what McGrady is saying.

4. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

everybody says kobe's defense is good... it's not that good.. believe that

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

nope it's not that good at all. But when most of the time your defending a 6'3" guard it's going to be good since he has a height advantage. His overall defensive skills are not that good when you actually watch a full game.

He loves to play "OLE" defense. Let him go and hope Shaq is there to help. This year he can't do that....so lets see how good he can play man to man and have to lock down his opponent.

6. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Contributing Member

Ok I'm not saying we will win a championship. i'm not even saying we will make the playoffs. I might be terrible. We might have no chemistry and all our over the hill way past their prime secondaries might just drop dead.

But that doesn't mean Tmac isn't motivated. That doesn't mean he isn't learning from JVG.

Since he says he is, i will believe it.

7. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

Pgabriel.. I'm not trying to take a shot at you.. How about taking your negative comments and keeping them to yourself? If positive verbage from the star player pains you to the point of calling things phony, then just move on to the next thread.

8. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Hater.

Get a life :rolleyes: , Francis is GONE :mad:

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ah, pgabriel. Always a ray of sunshine. :rolleyes:

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There must be at least ten threads about how much T-Mac is motivated, how much he is willing to work with Yao, how much he is willing to work with JVG, etc. I have never said he is phony in any of them before. I’m just saying, stop telling us, you will get your chance to show us. When you keep saying it, it becomes less meaningful.

Charles Barkley said all the right things before he came in here, and I would bet most of you guys believed everything he said. He talked about how he is just joining Hakeem and Clyde’s team, how he is just going to be willing to do the things that it takes to be a champion, that he isn’t going to cause any chemistry issues, etc. It all sounded good at the time. But as his time here passed, we learned that he didn’t get along with Drexler, he feuded with Hakeem about where they were going to set up in the post, and he still never played defense.

I’m sure McGrady is genuine in his comments right now, but the true test about how much he likes Van Gundy will be when Van Gundy questions this team’s heart after being blown out in a game on National TV. Then we will see how much these guys really want it. Right now he is saying all the right things but it is meaningless till they get out and play some games.

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I think it's just refreshing to hear these things because they are so different than:

Steve Francis on Rockets' Coach Jeff Van Gundy: "He's going to coach the way he wants to coach, and I'm going to play the way I want to play. That's just how it is."

Van Gundy's Response: "I agree with him on most of that. Aside from the part about how he's going to play the way he wants to play, I agree with 100% of it."

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

So, from now on, you'd prefer people DON'T post news reports about the Rockets?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay, I shouldn't said don't post it. But I have my opinion about it, just like others.

14. Man

Man Contributing Member

You made this thread pretty good actually
    I am optimistic and I love whenever I hear anything about the Rockets lol. Go Astros Go Texans..and go Rockets!
    I can't wait for the season to start..we get tos ee a glimpse on Sunday! woooooooooo
    And hopefully no injuries or anything.
    Go Rockets!
    And I miss you Steve, Cat, and Cato. :)

15. PhiSlammaJamma

It's a huge learning curve. Any new job is. His quote is actually consistent from the trash man right on up to an emperor. You always learn a lot the first few days. Then you settle in. Unless of course you are a scientist studying the sloth. Whereby your first day may actually be pretty boring. So you may not learn a lot.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You’re actually kind of proving my point right here. Someone has already posted that Francis and crew were saying all the right things when they were all getting to know each other. Then Francis and JVG had their Superbowl clash which sort of made everything meaningless. Then later on they were saying all the right things again. Then Francis was shipped out. Point is, all these quotes are meaningless, especially at the beginning of training camp when everyone is happy go lucky.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I agree, but let's not derail this into a Steve Francis thread. T-Mac is way more fun to talk about.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

No, the point is we just don't care if they're meaningless. They're fun to read because we're EXCITED about the season. There will be plenty of time later to be disillusioned.

19. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Let it go my fren.

If you cannot handle the shape of the GARM, leave for a few weeks and come back when the regular season begins - at least some of us have done it before. Better still, do not open threads like this or the ones you do not like.

Francis is GONE!!! Get freaking over it :rolleyes:

Jeeeez.

20. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

meaningless is inherently subjective here. you choose to look at it as meaningless seeing as it does nothing for you. you would rather not be kept up to date on every sound bite that may resound from training camp and just wait until the team gets a few games under their belts before getting excited about anything. which is fair i suppose; to each his own. while new players are sort of feeling each other out on where everybody stands, chances are that such pleasantries like "i'm really learning a lot from training camp" will inevitably be bounced around.

but there's a flipside to that coin. what if the statements are not entirely meaningless? what if the words coming out of tmac's mouth are for the most part genuine? he might change his game and style of play reflective of what he's learning from this team and take the Rockets further into the playoffs. i would like to think something to this effect is possible and plan to look at the situation like so. not because i have to believe this team is capable of greatness, but because i choose to.

you see mr. frodo. there is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for. i believe the good in this case lies in a man's word. only time will tell if TMac has enough integrity to come into his own as a man and buy into the system to make everything work. we will see about this, but in the meantime, i choose to remain giddy and optimistic simply because cynicism does not a good fan make. but whatever, it's just training camp. let's go 'stros!

*added bonus for anyone who spots all the movie references alluded to above :D