1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[KILE] new sports/guy talk station lineup forming

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I guess this means the Cablinasian is giving up his crown since I doubt he'll call the Rome show anymore. And Ken Hoffman? I guess we can look forward to 3 hours of fast food talk.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4909479.html

June 21, 2007, 2:37PM

KILE adds Pendergast, Harris to lineup
    Five-time Jim Rome smackoff winner, college football analyst latest additions at 1560 AM

By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Sean Pendergast, the five-time winner of the Jim Rome smackoff, and college football analyst John Harris will join KILE (1560 AM) when the station launches later this year with new call letters and a new sports/entertainment format.

David Gow, the station's new owner, said Pendergast and Harris will join program director John Granato and Chronicle columnist Ken Hoffman in the station's initial talent lineup. He said schedules and on-air pairings will be announced later and that he did not foresee any more "imminent" announcements regarding other on-air hirings.

Harris is a former valedictorian at Lamar Consolidated High School who now lives in North Carolina. He has contributed to several local and national radio talk shows and writes for a college football Web site. Pendergast, who launched his radio career as a contributor to the Rome show while living in Houston, will return to the city after working in private business in Chicago.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

JT the Brick won the first Smackoff. He parlayed it into a talk show.

He hasn't called the show since.

What are peoples reaction at stucknut?

I'm a registered member but ummm. It's stucknut.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know what to make of this format. I see Granato and Harris and think, "they're gonna talk sports..cool."

Then I see Ken Hoffman. And I think we'll be talking about travelling. Fast food. Not that interested in radio programming on those subjects.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Are there any Chronicle writers that DON'T have a radio show now?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That lineup is going to give 610 and 790 a run for its money. to me, 97.5 has the best local show right now with jerome solomon. palilo is still the most knowledgable but he seems to get crankier everyday.

pendergast is pretty good and john harris is really smart. he knows just about everything on college football and he can talk other sports. he's a real sports guy. and ken hoffman may not be a sports guy but dude is funny.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i tend to agree with you.

not having heard one second of it yet, i'm already more interested in listening to it than i am 790

still curious where lance is gonna end up

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

How do you know? I've never heard him for more than 5 minutes on Rome.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I've heard on 610 before. they even invited him into studio once or maybe twice, I believe grenato was out. so I haven't heard him for more than a day, but I have heard him for more than a phone call. he's pretty funny.

9. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I wonder how this is all going to sound on the radio.

I am dubbing this "SpikeRadio" already as it is supposed to be 'Guy Talk'. WTF is that? Talking about hot chicks, movies, pro wrestling, MMA, fast food, and a lil sports thrown in? Sounds like Clutchfans radio to me. I wonder if a radio station without a real focus is not going to just be a big mess.

I do wonder about Pendergast myself. He sat in on the morning show a handful of times, and didn't really bring much to the table. Just kind of sat back and had some stories and one-liners. So who knows how he will be everyday, for several hours a day.

Either way, this is going to be a different experience.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that's because he was sitting in with lance who likes to talk. I believe this guy will be good based on his jim rome calls alone. matt jackson started on 610 as a caller, cougar matt. he was good, but no where near as good as pendergast.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

If they have to resort to asking "What's your favorite sports movie" in the first week just to generate calls I'll switch and never listen again.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'd love to see Lance reunite with Granato over there for a morning show. I love listening to John Harris, that dude knows his stuff. Not sure how he'll do though if he is expected to talk about something other than college football.

13. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

"Johnny Carson" - I did not know that !

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Anything is better than trivia contests. Is there anything more unlistenable than hearing a bunch of idiot callers missing easy trivia questions for an hour?

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Recruiting talk?
    Vince Young talk?
    Lance coughing?

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

When is this new 1560 sports station gonna start?

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

maybe lance cough will get an hour cough mma show talking about cough pride fc and ufc cough cough.

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/barron/4911348.html

Stations want piece of very small pie

By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

KILE (1560 AM), Houston's soon-to-be-launched sports/entertainment talk station, has a new studio and a couple of new talk show hosts-to-be, and station owner David Gow says employees are hard at work selling advertising.

Now all he has to do is get listeners — and that, based on the most recent preliminary Arbitron numbers for Houston, may be the toughest task of all.

Houston is the second market in the nation to convert to portable people meters from paper diaries as a means of measuring radio audiences. The June numbers will be the first ones that stations can use as a basis for advertising rates.

The May numbers issued this week, however, don't paint a universally rosy picture for sports talk.

In fact, KILT (610 AM) is the only one of Houston's three existing sports talkers with a measurable rating on the broadest measuring stick — persons 12-plus from 6 a.m. to midnight Mondays through Sundays — and in the target demographic of men 25-54. KBME (790 AM) and KFNC (97.5 FM) do not register.

KILT checked in with an average 1.1 percent share of the audience, which tied for 25th among 34 stations that registered a rating, for week-round persons 12-plus. For men 25-54, its average 2.3 percent week-long share ranked 20th.

KILT had an average 3.4 percent share in morning drive, tied for ninth among men 25-54, and an average of 3.8 percent from 3 to 7 p.m., which tied for seventh in the demo. KILT's 2.4 share at midday ranked 17th among men 25-54.

Compared to the winter 2007 diaries, KILT's average quarter-hour share is down slightly in all the measurements I saw except for the afternoon drive show, which is higher by almost a point and outrates the morning show in average audience and cumulative listeners.

While neither KBME nor KFNC shows up in 12-plus or in men 25-54 in the week-long figures, in morning drive, middays or afternoon drive, KCOH (1430 AM) had a 0.2 percent average share for men 25-54 from 3 to 7 p.m., the daypart that features Ralph Cooper's talk show.

This is, of course, new technology, with all its attending bugs and break-in periods. Also, just because KBME and KFNC don't show up doesn't mean they don't have listeners.

In afternoon drive, for example, the average quarter-hour shares for the 34 listed stations totals 93.9 percent. Charlie Pallilo on KBME and Jorge Vargas and Jerome Solomon on KFNC certainly have listeners, but their stations presumably aren't being measured because the dropoff in listeners is too severe in other dayparts for the stations to meet minimum standards.

Officials with Arbitron and KILT had no comment Thursday. KBME's owner, Clear Channel Radio, does not subscribe to the PPM data, but Houston AM operations manager Michael Berry said in an e-mail: "We feel good about our programming and the continuous positive changes we're making. However you measure it, we feel confident that our station will be a huge success."

Cumulus market manager Pat Fant is less concerned with the Arbitron numbers than with another set of numbers — those with dollar signs in front of them. In that regard, he said, KFNC is doing well.

"It (the ratings) means nada to me, because our revenues are just about triple what they were this time last year," he said. "That's the report card we're going with. It comes down to advertisers wanting to position their brand alongside our brand. It's working and they're coming back to buy (again)."

Given KFNC's relatively short time as a sports station, he said, "It's not appropriate to use (ratings) as a yardstick at this early stage. It takes ratings systems time to catch up to sports stations in every market I've heard of."

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Now that I'd listen to. tinman and SamFisher, back-to-back? DaDakota calling and ranting everyday? It doesn't get any better than that.

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I posted a link a long time ago that had a way to do internet radio...I thought it would have been perfect for some Clutch Fans here to set something up.

Edit: I found it.

http://blogtalkradio.com/

What's a BlogShow?

Your BlogShow lets you host your own talk show online. Receive live callers, interview guests, and broadcast to an unlimited number of listeners. All you need is any type of phone, an internet connection, and something to say. All your listeners need is streaming audio or any type of phone should they choose to call in.

Getting started is easy, and it's free!

But you want to know the real kicker?

We share with you 50% of the revenue your BlogShow generates!

#20 Faos, Jun 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007