1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kiki Vandeweghe out as Denver GM?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TBar, Nov 29, 2005.

1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

REading an article linked to NBA.com by Krieger -Rocky Mt. News-he speculates that because Kiki V has not been offerred a contract extension yet that the owner will lowball him and allow him to move on. At CD 's age and health situation do you think Kiki V would be a good GM for the Rockets?

I do not know about chemistry with JVG, but I am a firm believer in separation of GM and coach. Kiki V has done a very good job of getting talent for Denver. He is smooth and diplomatic and evidently good with agents and player reps. I think JVG would be better to work with than George Karl.

Just speculation on my part. Do you think Kiki V would want to come here?

Sorry I did not provide a link.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

stephen a. smith was saying the same thing friday on their pregame show.

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Worth considering but didn't CD recently get a 3 or 4 year extension?

IIRC, Kiki hired Clyde Drexler for some personnel management in DEN a few years back so Kiki has friends inside the Rockets org.

#4 GATER, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  5. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Let CD feel his way out. I'd love to have Kiki. Other than Nikolov, he's been money. Don't know if JVG would want him though...

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

maybe he can hit some jumpshots for them also.

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Been rumored for a while (at LEAST a year). I'm not a big fan of our owner if he lets this happen. Reportedly Kroenke wants more control in personnel moves.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's great. The franchise has been in misery for years, and once they get solid management and a winner, the big cheese decides to horn in on the credit.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you could hire a guy like kiki to be heir apparent. that might not be a bad move.

10. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I remember seeing Kiki at Clyde Drexler's Rocket's Jersey retirement.

11. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Overall he's done well. Two straight playoff appearances for a team that was once in the dump. Not bad.

However, he clearly overpaid KMart. That contract was ridiculously big and egregeously long.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The years and the dollars, IIRC, weren't the problem, so much as the draft picks he needlessly pissed away in the trade.

13. Nuggets4

Do I really need to point out my signature to prove how much I agree with you here?

14. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Kiki wouldn't fit in here or with any team where the head coach is the true GM. He wouldn't accept being a figurehead type of guy.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Interesting observation. George Karl strikes me as a "true GM' type of guy as well.

16. Nuggets4

Nah, that won't happen until year #2. George was so happy to have a job that he made sure he fit in perfectly last year. This year, he's getting a little more comfortable so he wants a little more power. Next year, he'll want even more. The year after that will be when Melo takes a page out of the WWF and hits Karl over the head with a chair in the middle of a game.

Not that I'm convinced my team is cursed or anything.....