1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kidd Predicts 40 Wins for the Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SteveFrancis3, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

I am a fan of complete players, as far as superstars go. Jason Kidd is not a complete player.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

2. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

ROckets03 was almost a *** [​IMG]

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

3. Milos

Milos Member

I've always thought Kidd was a notch below a true superstar, almost in the John Stockton. Don't get me wrong, he is a great player. But when I think of a true superstar, I think of someone who can take over a game, a playoff series, or carry his team on his back for an entire series, and Kidd just cannot do this.
    He's improved since his days as "Ason Kidd" (no j), but is still not a dominant scorer. I've always said a team with him as its best player would never win anything, and I stick to it.
    What he really needs is to play with a dominant big man like Shaq or Duncan (just like Stockton prospers with Malone), so his passing, playmaking, and defense can be emphasized w/o having to worry about scoring.

------------------

4. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

http://www.bergen.com/nets/nets14200107141.htm

NBA warns Kidd, Nets

Saturday, July 14, 2001

By JOHN BRENNAN
    Staff Writer

All-Star guard Jason Kidd and the Nets -- the team he will join Wednesday when his
    trade from Phoenix for Stephon Marbury is made official -- received a warning from the
    NBA on Friday about tampering due to comments he made at a news conference two
    days earlier.

Kidd said a number of players had called him over the past two weeks after news
    broke that the deal was pending, expressing interest in teaming up with him in the
    future. Shawn Marion, a Kidd teammate with the Suns, and Denver forward Antonio
    McDyess were mentioned as targets by star guard.

"I look forward to when [the contract of] Shawn Marion is going to be up, because he
    isn't going to be on Phoenix," said Kidd. "And Antonio McDyess would be one guy I
    would like, and he's up after a year."

Phoenix president Bryan Colangelo told reporters the comments were "a clear
    violation" of the tampering rules.

While officials can cost their teams fines ranging up to $1 million for expressing a
    desire to acquire a player on another team, the NBA likely would run into legal
    headaches with the Players' Association if it tried to discipline players severely for
    such comments.

All-Star Latrell Sprewell, for instance, repeatedly expressed interest last fall in having
    close friend Chris Webber join the Knicks beginning with the 2001-02 season.
    Sprewell eventually was summoned to the commissioner's office, and he was asked
    to refrain from making any more comments about Webber.

------------------
    MoTTmoKTCMoCatoMooMooMoochWinkBullGriffDreamWizDanman