1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kidd Predicts 40 Wins for the Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SteveFrancis3, Jul 11, 2001.

1. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0711/1225074.html

Kidd targets 40 wins for Nets

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- In his first official activity with the New Jersey Nets, Jason Kidd was
    entertaining.

The All-Star point guard promised to make
    the lowly Nets better, set a goal of 40 wins
    next season and even began a free agent
    recruiting pitch, saying he wouldn't mind
    playing with Denver's Antonio McDyess and
    former Phoenix teammate Shawn Marion.

"This is a great opportunity for me with
    some guys," Kidd said Wednesday after
    being introduced by the Nets at a news
    conference for the first time since being
    acquired from the Suns for Stephon
    Marbury last month.

The deal won't become official until July

"You don't need superstars to win in this league," Kidd said. "You need guys who believe and
    work hard, and I think that we have that here."

New Jersey has missed the playoffs the past three seasons, and made the postseason only
    once in the past seven. The team is coming off a 26-56 record in coach Byron Scott's first
    season, a year marked by injuries.

While Marbury was a dynamic point guard who could score, Scott said Kidd can score and
    keep his teammates involved.

"Everywhere he has been, he has won," Scott said. "Everywhere he has been, he has made
    other guys better. I don't see why that is going to discontinue all of a sudden."

After initially declining to make a prediction about next season, Kidd said winning 14 more
    games was possible provided the team played hard every night and developed a trust for one
    another.

"That's why teams that have won have been successful, so 40 wins isn't out of the realm,"
    Kidd said. "I think realistically after winning 26, I don't see why not? If we fall short of that, you
    have to start somewhere and I think that is a realistic goal."

Scott said the Nets might win even more if the team stays healthy.

"I like the fact he put a number up there for guys to shoot at, so when we get to that point with
    eight or nine games left, you try to get more," Scott said. "I like his attitude and the way he has
    come in here."

Kidd, who averaged 16.9 points, 9.8 assists and 6.4 rebounds last season with the Suns, is
    going to need help to turn around a team that has a lot of question marks.

Forward Keith Van Horn's game slipped markedly last season, although some of that might be
    traced to a broken leg at the start of the season.

Forward Kenyon Martin, who finished second in the rookie of the year voting, also is a
    concern. He broke his right leg for the second time in two years late in the season.

The same holds for shooting guard Kerry Kittles, who missed all last season because of
    knee surgery. He will start a comeback next week playing with Nets rookies and free agents in
    the summer league.

If they all rebound, Kidd thinks the Nets have the talent to be an exciting uptempo team.

Kidd's only question is the team's will to win.

"You have to want to win," he said. "You have to know how to win. Being in this league I have
    learned how to do both. Since being a little kid, I have wanted to win and it doesn't matter how
    the cards are stacked.

"When you step on the court you have to feel confident you can win. If you don't feel confident
    that you can win, you might as well not come to play. That's the attitude we have to have here."

Kidd said he already has been called by players who would like to play with him when they
    become free agents. He noted he was a good recruiter in Phoenix.

"Hopefully, I can attract some guys to come here," Kidd said.

When asked who he would like to play with, Kidd wasn't shy.

"I look forward to when Shawn Marion is up because he isn't going to be on Phoenix," Kidd
    said. "Then there's Antonio McDyess, who's a free agent."

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"I look forward to when Shawn Marion is up because he isn't going to be on Phoenix," Kidd said. "Then there's Antonio McDyess, who's a free agent."

Now if those aren't threats for Denver and Phoenix and a "This is for what you did to me" directed at Phoenix, I don't know what is... I wonder if Colangelo's a bit worried. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited July 11, 2001).]

3. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Is Kidd a punk or what? How many teams has this "supposed" superstar been with... Mavs, Suns, and now Nets at least.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

4. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually Kidd is one of those players that was traded because of weird circumstances, not because he isn't good. This guy is a great player and a superstar no question. I think that the Nets will shock the league and win 45 to 50 games and get to the playoffs and scare somebody. Those are some interesting threats, to bad McDyess will be coming to Houston! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

great...
    now everyone will be jumping on the McDyess to Houston bandwagon [​IMG]

------------------
    I hope, when they die, cartoon characters have to answer for their sins.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man I would kill to have Marion. If Kidd says he won't be in Phoenix then maybe he won't be in Phoenix. Man I would kill! Cato hear I come. But then no more cap space because we'd have to max out Marion and Francis. 7 rebounds from Francis, 10 from Marion, thats crazy!

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Uhhh, even if Penny was healthy all along I highly doubt the Phoenix Suns would win 4 or 5 NBA championships (penny is not that good and so it does not make that big of a difference).

UHHH.. [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by R0ckets03 (edited July 12, 2001).]

9. buffalospeedway

yer right. penny is not that good. my point is he used to be pretty damn good before his injuries. good enough with jason kidd to win 4-5 championships? no. but definitely good enough to get kidd excited about him being on the team, and to make a statement to get the fans excited, too! what do you want him to say? "oh, geez, not penny! we're lottery bound now!"

------------------

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Are u sayin penny is not a superstar??? [​IMG]

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That's a whole 'nother can of worms there HeyDude! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

12. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

McDyess and Marion are Free Agents? [​IMG]

------------------
    ***FRANCHISE***

13. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

40 whole wins? Wow, its that kind of go-get-em attitude that's made Jason Kidd a winner wherever he's been.

I bet you the Nets get worse after this trade.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I thought you were a big fan of the P1S2 point guards, TV. Why not Kidd?

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

15. R0ckets03

No thats now what I expect him to say. But maybe his wife-beating self should concentrate on winning one championship (or a freakin playoff series for that matter) before opening that idiotic mouth of his.

------------------

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

If penny wasnt injured, the suns would have won 4 or 5 championships.
    If Cato wasnt injured he would have led the league in rebounding [​IMG]

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

17. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I say "supposed" because his behavior makes him suspect. Superstars don't get moved to 3 teams and whack around their wives in my opinion. Something is wrong there; his career will be looked back at as lacking in achievement.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

18. R0ckets03

If Heydude wasnt a moron he would be Heypartner? [​IMG]

------------------

19. R0ckets03

Isnt this the same Kidd that predicted 4 to 5 championships once Phoneix signed Penny Hardaway a couple of years back [​IMG]

------------------

20. buffalospeedway

uhh, i don't think kidd knew penny wasn't going to be playing on the team (kinda makes a difference).

sure, kidd's prediction is just a prediction. but going from marbury to kidd is a big upgrade. and yes, i know, marbury is damn good. 40 games? might be pushing it, but i wouldn't bet against 35.

------------------