1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kick off or receive?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

If you win the toss, starting to feel it is better for the defense to take the field from here on out. Missing Dre, missing Schaub, ...the defense generally has come to play each game. It has worked for the Bengals (mainly 1st half of season),...and I think we are due for making the other team commit TO's

I'm not saying the outcome would have changed, but I can't help but think doing so negates that quick score and general deflated feeling...

What are thought about it? They should/shouldn't or doesn't matter in the big picture?

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

I'm never a fan of receiving in the 1st half, so I'd rather they deferred anyways.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Receive. Kubiak gameplans the first series very well.

4. HPD

HPD Member

Recieve.

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

This.

Yeah, our Defense came out yesterday and got the Panthers to go 3 and out on the first 2nd half series but if your defense is your best unit(and without Schaub/AJ it's not even close) you put them on the field first.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I always defer in Madden. It's what the Texans should do esp with their improved D.

7. msn

msn Member

Madden-chair GM for the win!

8. sammy

^LOL. I think it's a very logical for the Texans to do. Common sense ftw.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

On the road, you defer because the kickoff crowd is amped up, while the second half crowd is still in the bathrooms/concession stands.

At home, it's team specific I suppose. For people who say Kubiak is good at scripting. Well, they'd still run the first 20 script (non 3rd down and non red zone plays by the way) on their first offensive possession. And they also script 2nd half starts, unless the team is getting pummeled on offense.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its time to kick. Those magnificent, scripted Kubiak opening drives are a thing of the past until Johnson can come back.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kick-off

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Always defer. When you have a rough first half like the Texans did yesterday, it is even worse when you have to come out and defend to start the second half.

13. today

today Contributing Member

When we had Schaub, I always wanted to receive, but over the last few weeks I've wanted to start out with our defense, so I would defer. Kubiak will always take the ball if we win the toss, so I hope every week that we lose the toss.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I want the ball....defering is for p*****s.

DD

15. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I like the Texans to defend first and get the ball first in the second half. Plays to their strength...

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The script works better knowing that the field position will be more or less the 20 yard line with a 0-0 tie.

17. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

With a dominant D and run team... you receive every time. Optimal to get a lead and control clock.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I generally think offenses like to come out the gate SLINGING. But with the kickoff rule changes resulting in WAY more TOUCHBACKS out to the 20, deferring becomes a better option than before.

If you have a good defense and kicking game (as the Texans do), if you stop them deep then you can get the ball back with a possible SHORTER field than if you would have received the kickoff.

If its smart to save timeouts for later possessions, then it smart to save possessions for later.

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think there was a poll asking this a month ago. I don't remember a clear favorite, but at least with this team's current lineup, I'd prefer to defer/receive. Demeco has a better hype up speech than whoever offense does, and a good defensive stop gives the offense better starting position. This team seems to play better with a lead, and I think the script combined with favorable field position is the best chance of getting 7 first.

Well said.

20. sammy

Sorry, you're wrong.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/the-strategy-and-consequences-of-the-n-f-l-coin-toss/