1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KHOU: Van Gundy begins new Rocket era + lack of media coverage (IMO)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by garthomps, Oct 3, 2003.

1. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Rather than simply posting an article which was on a website, I thought I would contribute my 2 ¢ with a few comments:

I took a look at all the general sports websites (ESPN, CNNSI, Sportingnews, Sportsline, etc.) to see what was posted about the new unis which were presented in full during media day. The results are . . nada, nilch. Also, the Chron didn't even have anything on their website. In all due respect, there may have been a lot of TV coverage on ESPN, Foxsports, newspapers, etc; though as I live outside of the states, I didn't see it.

In short, I am a little confused. With all this talk about "unveiling the uniforms" I would say that this must have been a huge let-down for the organization (MKTG). I am not trying to step over anyones toes. I frequently visit this site and have ready all of the whining that went on over the summer. Though, there was absolutely no effect, in my opinion.

Regardless, none of this matters at the end of the day. The only thing that would have been effected by a big media event would have been Les's bank account.

Just thought I would share my thoughts, now that I feel a little better, here's the article:

Van Gundy begins new Rocket era

10:34 PM CDT on Thursday, October 2, 2003

Associated Press

HOUSTON (AP) -- Yao Ming isn't here yet but new coach Jeff Van Gundy is and he's wasted no time establishing his no excuses policy for the Houston Rockets, who opened training camp Thursday at sparkling new Toyota Center.

Players new and old gaped at the 18,000 seat structure where the Rockets will play beginning this season after missing the playoffs the past four seasons at old Compaq Center.

The new downtown arena might be a fitting venue to begin a new era of Rockets basketball, but Van Gundy says a turnaround won't be easy.

"Breaking a cycle of being in the lottery team, one of eight teams to have been in the lottery the last four years, is not easy, but it's very doable, and we're looking for a breakthrough," Van Gundy said.

The Rockets met for media day at Toyota Center and then departed for Galveston, about an hour away, to begin preseason workouts as a full team.

Yao is en route to the U.S. after leading the Chinese team in the Asian Championships. He isn't expected until Monday and possibly will get in one workout before the Rockets depart on a weeklong string of exhibition games.

"One voice, one vision, one goal, that's how great teams become great," Van Gundy said.

How do you do that?

"It's not one thing," Van Gundy said. "It could be what we call a backscreen in our terminology or how we share the credit for a big night or how we share the ball, how much we'll sacrifice, all those things."

Van Gundy begins his first season as a replacement for the popular Rudy Tomjanovich, who led the Rockets to back-to-back NBA titles in 1994-95 but the playoff magic has been absent in recent seasons.

Van Gundy expects to push the Rockets back into the playoffs with a more experienced Yao and guard Steve Francis, along with a changing supporting cast, including just acquired Jim Jackson and John Ameachi.

Jackson expects a no-nonsense training camp and season from Van Gundy.

"It's what I expect and look forward to," Jackson said. "Playing under Pat Riley is similar to Jeff, the mental discipline it takes to be a championships caliber team is something he'll bring to the table."

The Rockets sent Glen Rice to the Utah Jazz on Tuesday for Amaechi, who has spent five NBA seasons with Cleveland, Orlando and Utah.

Jackson played for Sacramento last season and has a career average of 15.5 points, 4.7 rebound and 3.4 assists.

Van Gundy's tough reputation has preceded him.

"Some players need a coach who's going to be a father figure and some need a coach that chews them up and gets them focused," forward Eddie Griffin said. "It looks like he will be the one who lets you know what you did wrong and he doesn't care who you are and that's exactly what we need."

2. YaoMing

YaoMing Contributing Member

3. garthomps

OK it's nice that the NBA posts something, but keep in mind they get a percentage of the uniform sales. So obviously they will try to put this out to the public.

4. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

The Chronicle did have pictures and mentioned the media day on the front page of its online addition yesterday, in all fairness.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The uniforms never got a chance for a big "unveiling". With the leak on the ESPN commercial, the video game screen shots, and the Rockets jersey on Eastbay, everyone pretty much knew what the uniforms would look like. Tim and the boys probably said, "F*CK IT!" and decided not to waste any money on a big public spectacle. It's like everybody found out what they would look like before the fans did, which sounds a little backwards...oh well...

Besides, everytime I hear anything about a uniform unveiling, I immediately get flashbacks of Drexler and his kid walking out on stage with quite possibly the worst uniforms in the history of pro sports...:::shudder:::

6. garthomps

7. a-rock

a-rock Member

....rudy bashing....

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I took a look at all the general sports websites (ESPN, CNNSI, Sportingnews, Sportsline, etc.) to see what was posted about the new unis which were presented in full during media day. The results are . . nada, nilch.

I don't think it's really news when a team gets new uniforms. Teams change their uniforms all the time nowadays. Pretty soon though we may need to have a news conference for a team that decides to keep the same uniforms for more than a year.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why would anyone who isn't a Rocket fan care about our new uniforms? I don't care about the Cavs or Nuggets new uniforms. I wouldn't even have known about them if I hadn't been on this bbs reading about our new uni's.