1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Key to season: Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Sep 30, 2015.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's a fair analysis, CXbby. For the most part, we know who everyone in the rotation is:

Harden - MVP caliber
    Dwight - Elite rim protector and finisher
    Lawson - Elite playmaker
    Ariza - Very good wing defender and average spot up shooter
    Beverley - Very good guard defender and average spot up shooter
    Brewer - Energizer bunny. Runs the floor, gambles for steals
    DMo - Elite post player and developing shooter
    Capela - Rim protector and finisher
    Thornton/Terry - Guard/wing shooters

TJones is a mystery. I really thought he showed flashes at the beginning of last season, but then the injuries derailed him.

IMO, this team does have a hole left by Josh Smith that TJones has the potential to fill. We need a versatile defender that can rebound, guard PFs on the block, and switch on the perimeter. We also need someone that can attack the basket on offense and shoot the league average from 3.

TJones is the ONLY player on this team that has the potential to do all of that. Not saying he will, but the tools are all there. His skillset has always been tantalizing....its just a matter of whether he can put it all together. IF he does, the Rockets aren't just condenders.......they are the favorites.

3. bmd

bmd Member

He's right though. Most fans of other teams that I have seen have a much higher opinion of Jones than the fans on this site, and a much lower opinion of D-Mo.

Other fans see highlights of Jones dunking, hitting the occasional 3 and blocking shots. And he's done it the past 2 seasons.

D-Mo really just broke out after the first 20 games or so of last season, and then missed the last few games and the entire playoffs. So other fans really have not seen nearly as much of D-Mo and don't realize how good he was over those 50 games.

He doesn't make the highlight reel like Jones with alley oops, dunks, and rejections.

Plus, they'll go online and look at their stats and see that Jones has a PER of 19-something, and D-Mo's is like 14-something and assume that their perception is right.. that Jones is the better player.

We as Rockets fans understand both of their games much better than fans of other teams who have a very limited and superficial understanding of their skills.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Doesn't matter what I have. I am a realgm er and I have seen what fanbases post. And sadly almost noone mentions or appreciates DMO.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Excuse me..Tjons is a mystery and Capella isn't?
    You have been able to form an opinion on the skills of Capella based on such a minuscule sample?
    I was impressed and I am optimistic too but to say that he is a proven rim protector and finisher???
    If anyone is a mystery here is Capella.

I am a she. You are right. Because fans who dont' follow a team and watch only a couple of games or just the POs can't form good opinions.
    It's not just a bball iq or anything. It's that they haven't watched many games.
    I think that the Rockets aren't one of the most popular teams in nba leaguepass.
    It happens with other teams too. I.E from the Bucks everyone thought that Knight was some kind of all star just based on boxscore watching and highlights. LOL.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

All that aside, for the last time are you a "she" or a "he"? Please confirm and put this to rest. If she many would like to see pics, If he some would still like.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

It seems counter intuitive, but I disagree. Capela is easy to understand. As of right now, he's a younger Dwight. I know exactly what his role on this team is, and I know how to evaluate him within that role.

Capela is not a 4....he's a 5. He doesn't have a reliable jumper, which means his offensive game is really PnR and cleaning up the garbage. Could he develop a post game or jumper?...sure, but I doubt that will happen this season. On defense, he's primarily a rim protector, but he does have the unique ability to effectively switch on the outside.

TJones' role is much broader and more comprehensive than Capela's. He will be asked to play time at both the 4 and 5. He can attack the rim off the bounce, and handle the offense on a fast break (not just finish). While I wouldn't call him a shooter, he's hit 31% on 1.2 attempts per game for his career, so he's not completely incompetent.

It's easier to point to exactly what we want Capela to do. It's harder with TJones. It's like comparing Ezeli and Green. We know who Ezeli is and what his role is. Green, OTOH, is asked to guard everyone from 2s to 5s, attack and facilitate on offense, and make around league average from 3. I'm not saying TJones is at the same level as Green, but what we will ask of him is similar.

8. malakas

malakas Member

This has not only to do with Capella but with all new players.
    When a young player first plays in the league he is not included in scouting reports. Yes even if Capella played in the pos he wasn't.
    That's why in the second year or second half of the first year, depending on their impact, a player has to prove that he can counter the adjustments based on scouting.
    Capella hasn't proved that yet. He hasn't proved that he can even play 30 mintues a match and not foul out. He hasn't proved if he can finish over length. He hasn't proven if he can counter the adjustments of the defence on him- when the players know his tendencies.
    These things you prove over a good amount of mintues in the regular season.

I will tell you what he has proven to me. First that he doesn't fearthe big stage.Very important and something that is not bound to change in his carreer.
    Secondly that he has good defensive insticts. And thirdly that he has shown tremendous improvement. He is a hard worker.
    That's all he has PROVEN to me.
    The others are just projections, questions and wishful thoughts.

There is no comparison with a rookie Dwight. If he was a younger even rookie Dwight he would be ROY and an almost certain All star next year.

But by your post I get that you mean the question in roles.
    The thing is that the biggest question this year is IF capella can fullfill the very crucial role of backup center and even start in some games that Dwight won't play.
    Because we are serious contenders. If it was a rebuilding team, not caring about wins, there would be no question that he could.
    She.

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]
    :p

1 person likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Unless he gets his 3 pt % above 36% on 1.5 makes a game, he won't be a Rocket after the season. DMo is the future at the PF position. We didn't sign a 2nd Rounder for 3 years for giggles. I love TJ, I feel his a solid career ahead of him, it's just not on this team.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Looks like Terrence sat out practice today for hit to the ribs yesterday, being reported by Jonathan Feigen. Here we go again LOL.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Classic TJones injury smh.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

How is that classic.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Gender aside, your knowledge of NBA and ability to articulate are impressive. Usually a must read.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I would think that fans who watch the Rockets mostly in the post-season would have an overwhelmingly negative opinion of Jones since he hasn't looked like he has any business being on the court in the playoffs no matter what year we're talking about.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Someone has a crush........

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

nah, he is going to a nice player, but will probably never be a stud, let along a key to the season.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm not normally one to defend TJones, but here it is:

1) Evaluating him based on how he performed as a sophomore going against LMA in April 2014 isn't fair. No 2nd year PF short of Anthony Davis would have done any better.

2) TJones had TWO freak injuries last year. One nearly cost him his professional career. That completely derailed all of his momentum by the time we got in the playoffs.

3) Jones' offensive issues are completely connected to his lack of confidence from the perimeter. He's slow both in shooting and not shooting. Because of this, playoff teams backed off of him. This made him press and decreased his efficiency inside the paint. IF he is more decisive, has a quicker release, and can stay in the 30s shooting the 3, all of his offensive issues will disappear.

4) The tools are all there on defense. He hasn't proven to be the most aware defender, but then again he's only 23. He has no less defensive potential than Harden (and likely significantly more).

Again, I'm not saying TJones WILL be the answer. I think DMo is the better player now and likely into the future, but there's no way I would have said that a year ago.

Let's give it November and the first half of December before we make any definitive statements about TJones. If he hasn't shown marked improvement in shooting or defensive awareness by then, then I will agree that we need to move on.

I will not be surprised, given all of the attention Harden, Lawson and Dwight will attract, if he's hitting 35% from 3 on 2 attempts per game and 55% from the field.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

as opposed to Dmo? Oh wait there's a reason why, cause he was nowhere to be found during these times