1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Key to season: Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, just evidence that he's the player that brings more to the table....and I have faith that McHale will make the right decision. I mean, you can keep hope alive for your guy but unless he radically improves over the level he's played at to date, Jones just doesn't offer enough to be a legitimate starter on a contender....especially when you have a better option.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no agenda, just discussion.....and you whining as per usual. If you had anything intelligent to add to the conversation in order to move it along, that would be a lot more helpful.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

OP could have said the same stuff with a lot fewer words. and none of what was said was anything new - and none of it presented a real argument for why TJ is THE key to the season. I didn't read all of the posts, but I think hp is right about Ty Lawson. Much bigger key.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

My guy is the Houston Rockets not just one player. Man I've been down with the Rockets since the 80s. It really doesn't matter who starts but the facts still remain the same, Jones has beating out Dmo for that spot since they been here. And again Mchale seems to think so that's why he keep starting him. Lol

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hey, same here, "my guy" is the Houston Rockets, which is why I want the best players starting to put the team in the best possible position to win. If Jones radically improves to where he offers more than DMo, then he'll have my support when it comes to starting....I don't think that's likely though.

6. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I think jones will have a break out year. I thoughtt last season would have been it but he was injured.

The guy had nerve damage and said he couldn't even feel his leg the first day and misses half the season and then had a collapse lung right before playoffs. He gave it everything he got and still performed in the playoffs, he balled so ****ing hard Stephen A. Smith gave him a shout out on Twitter.

I love Dmos foot work but jones is overall better and a better fit for this team than Dmo. He's more athletic and physical than Dmo. He gets his double figure pts and rebounds which is what we need

We have Ty/Harden/Ariza(Only if he's hot)/Howard starting, Bev/Terry/Thorton/Brewer off the bench, and y'all b****ing about not having a all star PF. Do we have to get Anthony Davis to satisfy y'all?

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I said it from the beginning, Jones is going to end up being a plus role player. He has been our starting PF 2 of the three years he's been on the team. Yet he has never gotten the respect he deserves. He has gotten better every season and I have no doubt that he will continue doing the same this season.

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You're the one who said Jones was going to be Dwight Howard. Who cares what you say - from the beginning or otherwise?

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The coach make the decision so you wanting the best player is no concern to Mchale. He has shown that he believes Jones fits better. You might want to boycott in front of the Yota until you get exactly what you want Bobbythegreat. Lol

10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

always been a tjones fan baby. i see a player getting better every year.

11. SemisolidSnake

One key to winning any game: making easy layups. Most egregious offender on Rockets in this regard: Terrence Jones. Sorry, my ears are closed to any discussions of Jones until I see him stop losing us games by missing half a dozen gimmes.

Also, Terrence, get better at free throws. Tell that to all your big friends on the team, as well. Stop putting the ball on the ground when you're near the basket. Go up and dunk it. DUNK IT. Fight for rebounds like you job depended it on it. It probably does.

Kid's had a couple years in the league. I don't care if he's been injured or not. He should have a sense now for when to stay calm on the court, when to be fiery, and that fundamentals are not negotiable when teams lose by single points all the time. It's time to show you're a legitimate pro or get out of Houston, Terrence.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Apparently, you do. Anyway I'm really looking for him to go 15-10 which would be perfect next to Howard.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The X factor is between Dmo, Terrence, Beverley and how great Ty plays or does he just play slightly above average?

There are various factors going into the season

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Just about everyone thought Jones was better than Dmo this time last year, sure he had more potential but we weren't even sure Dmo would make it in the nba beyond his rookie contract, he was like a fish out of water.

This year, there's been a complete flip, just about everyone thinks Dmo is better, with this time only the inverse group of hold out fans carrying that flame.

15. roidrage

roidrage Member

I really don't like Terrence Jones he is the worst player on this team now he is average at everything plays nothing like he did in college also looks small at the 4..

16. roidrage

roidrage Member

How has he gotten better??you have lost your mind :eek:

17. basketballholic

Currently, the key player on this roster for this upcoming season is Clint Capela.

Our success is largely predicated on our bench unit getting stops and runouts versus the opponents second unit. Those stops are largely based on overplay, forcing quick shots and getting the opponent to turn the ball over. That pressure overplay only works if you have elite paint defense and rim protection backing up the perimeter guys who are scrambling on the ball and forcing the opponent inside the 3-point line.

Josh Smith is gone. This was his role last season, to back up Dwight defensively and lock down the paint when Dwight sat and the second unit was on the court. Capela is the only guy we've got on this current roster that can possibly excel in that role. Neither DMo nor Terrence can dominate the defensive paint and protect the rim nearly efficient enough, and subsequently gobble up misses to ignite the break, to be successful in that role and give our second unit the stinger inside to match the teeth of our perimeter defenders.

It's Capela that is the key guys. Barring a 'Josh Smith' type trade or signing, Capela has to perform in that backup 5 role or we're headed for another playoff exit without a championship.

#57 basketballholic, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just everyone? I think both are about the same level with Dmo holding a slight advantage due to Jones' nerve injury.... but now Dmo is injured.....

Cannot really say who is that much better (Dmo's D when he tries seems to be better) within a 2 year span

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

CXbby, i thought the key to the season was Marcus Morris? ;)

Kidding

20. Mattician

Mattician Member

Not sure how long Motiejunas will be out, and how many times Howard will play on back-to-backs.

Will the Rockets play more small ball? Or will someone else along with Jones have to step up in their absence?