1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Key to beating Golden State

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, May 7, 2018.

?

Our chances of beating the Warriors in the WCF will depend on..

1. Harden & CP3 playing well.

19 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Our bench outplaying theirs.

23 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Our defense taking it up a notch.

34 vote(s)
    31.2%
  4. Capela playing like he has this entire post season.

20 vote(s)
    18.3%
  5. The Warriors having a few bad shooting nights.

13 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Actually it is 1-1. The other game Rox won 116-108, not quite 120 pts.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The good thing is that the casual fans in Houston who will be sitting in the lower bowl will probably have a hatred for the Warriors as well. Houston is probably going to get their best home crowds for that series if they do end up getting past Utah.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

When all is said and done, I think the Rockets have to hit their three pointers at a 35 - 40% clip because it is such a huge part of their offense. If we shoot 30% or less, then I think we are in for a rough series. You know KD is going to get his mid-range shots. We can't have absentee Harden in these games. He's going to need to do 30+ ppg. And, CP3 is going to have to continue doing his mid-range duties. Obviously, Capella will be huge. The X factor will be Tucker, Ariza, Gordon, Moute, Green, etc. ...if those guys don't bring much of anything, then this series won't be won. It would be nice if we got something out of Mr. Anderson but I'm not expecting it (assuming he gets the call from the end of the bench). This series is what these guys have been fixated on getting to and playing all season. We knew it was going to come to this. Time to put up or shut up.

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  4. Coach E

Coach E Member

Thread needs “all of the above option”

5. jb86

jb86 Member

The Rockets need to be extremely physical with the warriors in the next round.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Good post. I don't think ALL of those have to happen to win, but some combo of the majority.....the 3 that are mandatory to me are:

• No off-nights for Harden
    • Control the boards
    • CP3 needs to make sure the gameplan never gets derailed, maintain our tempo when GSW switches up the D

I thought Harden looked very much like last year's bad Harden last night. I get it that everyone has an "off" night, but his passing wasn't great, he looked really lazy on the defensive side of the ball and I'm pretty sure MD was referring to James when he said we played "outside of the game plan" on 4-5 breakdowns in Q1. I saw him walk up the floor after he thought he got screwed on calls at least 4 times....that is INFURIATING.

I don't think we can hope for Klay to not have clean looks. You gotta double somebody at some point, or at least sag and threaten the help. That means Klay will get open looks. Couldn't agree more about EGO.

Only other items I would add are:

• Not letting Draymond/Cook/Igudala/McGee/Looney, get lost in the double, triple picks and slip into the lane for easy buckets
    • Make them work as hard on the defensive side (switching/picks/etc) as they make us work. Harden can't just play the 40 foot pick over and over and over again. We have to cut and open up space. Not just the pocket pass into a crowded lane for Ne or Clint. Those are low percentage, high risk plays. We can't afford to give up 3-4 possessions that way.

saleem likes this.
  7. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

there should be a ban for those posters, take it one ****ing step at a time.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The graphic is from October.

It's counting the Rockets last victory at Oracle in early 2017 (133 points in 2OT, Sam Dekkers best game as a Rocket)

daywalker02 and tmoney1101 like this.
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

ClutchFans has obsessed Morey's obsession.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed

Rocket River

saleem likes this.
  11. s3ts

s3ts Member

The possession game is important, so I agree about that, and the defense + match up. I just doubt Ryno fitting in any lineup where he can be useful. His mid-range game is below average, and he's not big enough to out-rebound the 4s/5s on GSW roster. Take away the spacing and his 3s, and he becomes challenged.

The only thing he really has to do, if he wants to fit, because a lot of guys are still getting PT even without hitting 3s, is give 115% effort. Force TOs, nab boards, body up on the bigs, don't back down.

In contrary to that, a lot of times, all I see MDA do w/ Ryno is make him set picks at the top, and then wait on the side for a 3 pt shot. If MDA forces him to play a role like that without exception, I don't know if he can find a spot in the rotation. So I think it also depends heavily on the coaching staff telling him to be an energy player.

12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't expect McGee to see much time against us for the reasons I mentioned in my above post. Capela and our guards will expose him.

13. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I can't believe that out of FIVE choices, I can't make a decision. :O

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Play defense like they've played in Utah...and get hot from 3. Do that and the rest is cream cheese.

15. MyLateRegistration

Capela just needs to play good. Harden, CP3 and Ariza need to play amazing and we will win in 7.

16. MyLateRegistration

Durant would eat him ALIVE and get him off the block where Curry and Klay can drive to the paint at will and also get him in foul trouble.

17. MyLateRegistration

4 Steals

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I don't think having Harden guarding Klay Thompson is a good idea (don't think Harden will do well chasing him after screens). Harden should guard somebody else more stationary like Donkey.

Invisible Fan and tmacfor35 like this.
  19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I actually like Harden on Durant personally.

Harden played him well the few times he guarded him this year.

Also, Trevor will follow Klay as he always does. Klay typically does not play well against Trevor.

I think you have to put PJ on Green so PJ can freelance a bit on defense.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. Zergling

Zergling Member